The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => History => Topic started by: V-Adore on October 30, 2003, 02:12:29 pm

Title: All Bunny Killing -- All the time!
Post by: V-Adore on October 30, 2003, 02:12:29 pm
Quote from: "slink"
Waking up to a rattling noise and going through, opening the airing cupboard door and discovering the tiniest little penis, convulsing.
So I had to cart it outside and avoid thinking.
Poor little guy.

Our cat traditionally, in the summer, tends to catch a lot of baby rabbits; one afternoon he walked up on the deck to display his "kill" which, to our sadness, was still alive. And paralyzed. Placing a baby rabbit with a broken neck in a box so it has somewhere calm to die may also be the saddest thing.

... er, not to try to one-up Slink or turn this into a Horrible Things Happening To Very Small Mammals thread or anything; it just seemed apropos.
Title: All Bunny Killing -- All the time!
Post by: slink on October 30, 2003, 02:44:04 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"

Our cat traditionally, in the summer, tends to catch a lot of baby rabbits; one afternoon he walked up on the deck to display his "kill" which, to our sadness, was still alive. And paralyzed. Placing a baby rabbit with a broken neck in a box so it has somewhere calm to die may also be the saddest thing.


My cat discovered one spring, that she was (she was very small) small enough to climb down burrows and get the tiniest little rabbits. She was evil. But very, very endearing.

And yes, *ahem* what was the poem then?
Title: All Bunny Killing -- All the time!
Post by: slink on October 30, 2003, 04:14:41 pm
Quote from: "Asherdan"
You two just basically ruined the internet for me.

*sniff*


I just wanted someone else to feel as bad as I did. It was a truly horrible thing to wake up to.
Alas it did seem to come out worse than talk of this whole number 3 thing in the Serializer seciton...
Title: All Bunny Killing -- All the time!
Post by: AugustWest on October 30, 2003, 04:34:02 pm
Aw hell, you haven't seen sad til you've run over a rabbits nest w/ a litter of babies with a riding mower.  Oh the humanity, or uh, the lapinity.
Title: All Bunny Killing -- All the time!
Post by: slink on October 30, 2003, 05:15:06 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Aw hell, you haven't seen sad til you've run over a rabbits nest w/ a litter of babies with a riding mower.  Oh the humanity, or uh, the lapinity.


They nest??
Title: All Bunny Killing -- All the time!
Post by: V-Adore on October 30, 2003, 07:56:19 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Aw hell, you haven't seen sad til you've run over a rabbits nest w/ a litter of babies with a riding mower.  Oh the humanity, or uh, the lapinity.

Oh, my.

Although I still think I can one-up that... (don't scroll down if you don't like gross things)















My father walked out on the deck one morning two summers ago and stepped on a rabbit head. Just the head -- the rest had presumably been eaten. Squish.

There, now I have officially spoiled the Internet for everyone.
Title: All Bunny Killing -- All the time!
Post by: side_show on October 31, 2003, 01:27:39 pm
I say, where's the bunny ambulance when you need it?  Where?

Have you ever heard a bunny scream?  I have.  They scream if they are badly hurt in a certain way.  It's the most horrible noise in the world.  My neighbours had three cats that they allowed to run loose, and we had a nest of bunnies under the gazebo.
Title: All Bunny Killing -- All the time!
Post by: slink on October 31, 2003, 01:47:44 pm
OK, to brighten this one up on the bunny topic - one of our cats, about 12 years ago or so, caught a tiny rabbit, very young, and cute at that (had a proper little white fluffy tail), and didn't kill it.
So we nursed it back to health, and for about 6 months it would run around our living room sitting on people and playing with the cats.
She also had this habit of, if you lay on the floor on your stomach, she'd sit down in the small of your back.

Anyway, just to show the bunny ambulance does pull through sometimes.
Title: All Bunny Killing -- All the time!
Post by: CortJstr on October 31, 2003, 03:00:15 pm
That's cool that the cats were able to make the prey -> friends transition.

My cat would just resent the intruders and be all snotty to them.
Title: All Bunny Killing -- All the time!
Post by: slink on October 31, 2003, 06:20:23 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
That's cool that the cats were able to make the prey -> friends transition.

My cat would just resent the intruders and be all snotty to them.


Well, my cats were always weird. The on who started clambering down burrows, when she was a kitten she would suckle on my dogs nipples. He always looked quite perturbed.
Then they just started licking each others foreheads, which was far more acceptable.
Title: All Bunny Killing -- All the time!
Post by: V-Adore on October 31, 2003, 10:54:44 pm
Awwwww. Tiny live bunnies are so much better than dead ones.
Title: Cats are mean
Post by: pmcd9 on November 01, 2003, 08:10:33 am
Once I brought home a baby chick and I stupidly showed it to my cat.  I cupped it in my hand and held it down for her to have a look.  She immediatly swatted it hard and broke it's neck.  I just stood there helpless while it died in my hands.  In retrospect I see that I probably should have kept it far away from it's natural predator.  I guess Rae just doesn't view baby chicks as cute, mean ol' cat.

~Paul
Title: All Bunny Killing -- All the time!
Post by: Mite on November 01, 2003, 03:48:21 pm
I tried to introduce my rats to my mom's cats once. While the rats were caged, the cats seemed disconcerted by their presence, but the rats were pretty curious about them. I thought maybe they'd dig each other, as I'd heard of other rats & cats getting along before. I took one of them out and held here close to the less agressive of the cats, and after a few seconds of unease Peaches jumped out of my hands and landed about 8 feet away. The cat was, luckily, too lazy to give chase, but that effectively ended my attempt to have a big happy animal family.

And yes, I have heard a rabbit scream, thanks to the same cats. Which makes me wonder why I thought they'd get along with my rats.
Title: All Bunny Killing -- All the time!
Post by: slink on November 01, 2003, 04:09:55 pm
Quote from: "Mite"
I tried to introduce my rats to my mom's cats once. While the rats were caged, the cats seemed disconcerted by their presence, but the rats were pretty curious about them.


We had that too. Our cat, who was very fluffy, would sit on the shelf next to the rats cage. Our rats (Luke and Anakin) would then clamber up so they could tease fur from him, and use it for nesting. It all seemed very casual, and no one ever got tense, but we never went as far as an intimate introduction. The cat would have tried something... He was that sort!
Title: All Bunny Killing -- All the time!
Post by: AugustWest on November 02, 2003, 06:08:08 am
This reminds me of a sad story my wife tells.  She was about 6 or so and had gotten a duckling for Easter.  At that time she lived on what was then the extreme outskirts of St Louis in a semi-rural area on an acre or so and she would have been able to raise the duck.

She loved the duckling very, very much.

She took it to bed with her and hugged it and loved it.  When she woke up the morning she had smothered her little ducky.

Seven-sadness.