The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: backtoschool on March 29, 2008, 03:23:21 pm

Title: My comic strip: Back to School - in which people fail magnificently
Post by: backtoschool on March 29, 2008, 03:23:21 pm
I don't know if this is allowed, but I'm a big achewood fan, and you guys like comic strips, so:

Back to School
New comics every Monday
btscomic.blogspot.com (http://www.btscomic.blogspot.com)

(http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2007/2369882182_6c1424838d_o.jpg) (http://www.btscomic.blogspot.com)
Title: Re: My comic strip: Back to School - in which people fail magnificently
Post by: Drygioni on March 29, 2008, 03:35:08 pm
Excellent idea, good execution, aplomb. Not bad at all, I say.

Can we have a Shane MacGowan one?
Title: Re: My comic strip: Back to School - in which people fail magnificently
Post by: backtoschool on March 29, 2008, 03:41:07 pm
Thanks, and yes, Shane MacGowan can definitely be next. Suggestions are always appreciated.
Title: Re: My comic strip: Back to School - in which people fail magnificently
Post by: jay-ell on March 29, 2008, 03:47:53 pm
We kind of like people to post some stuff that's not shameless self-promotion first, and then get with the promoting after we know you a bit, but the strip is funny, so I'll allow it. 

The image has a broken link, though. 
Title: Re: My comic strip: Back to School - in which people fail magnificently
Post by: backtoschool on March 29, 2008, 04:07:23 pm
Thanks, I appreciate it. My bad.
Title: Re: My comic strip: Back to School - in which people fail magnificently
Post by: jough on March 29, 2008, 05:01:51 pm
This won't make it into my RSS, but if someone else links to one I'll pause for a second before clicking the little close tab button.

Progress!
Title: Re: My comic strip: Back to School - in which people fail magnificently
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on March 29, 2008, 08:14:04 pm
So is the joke that you dont have any skills as an artist but wanted to do an internet cartoon anyway where you just repeat the same joke with different ingredients? If that was your intention, success, you are a joke!
Title: Re: My comic strip: Back to School - in which people fail magnificently
Post by: Golfhaus on March 29, 2008, 08:32:05 pm
So is the joke that you dont have any skills as an artist but wanted to do an internet cartoon anyway

You have no idea how often I have this VERY thought.
Title: Re: My comic strip: Back to School - in which people fail magnificently
Post by: jay-ell on March 29, 2008, 08:49:46 pm
I thought that was the joke behind Dinosaur Comics (http://www.qwantz.com/). 

I mean, I thought that wasn't a joke any more, just a thing people did sometimes. 
Title: Re: My comic strip: Back to School - in which people fail magnificently
Post by: wombat on March 29, 2008, 10:19:52 pm
It's practically a genre.

Also there are lots of comics by people who don't draw. This one (http://wondermark.com/) and this (http://www.partiallyclips.com/) for instance.  Oh, and this one. (http://www.asofterworld.com/)
Title: Re: My comic strip: Back to School - in which people fail magnificently
Post by: CortJstr on March 29, 2008, 10:50:21 pm
It's practically a genre.

Also there are lots of comics by people who don't draw. This one (http://wondermark.com/) and this (http://www.partiallyclips.com/) for instance.  Oh, and this one. (http://www.asofterworld.com/)

The guy who does Partially Clips also provides writing (but not art) for Erfworld. So he should count double.
Title: Re: My comic strip: Back to School - in which people fail magnificently
Post by: Doc on March 30, 2008, 06:50:23 am
If people are going to start being down on a softer world I'm going to have to open up a can.

I got a couple of giggles out of this but I'd feel better about it if I thought you'd joined for a reason other to pimp your shit, this can be done with style. See: Deathray.

Not that I think Deathray joined just to pimp his stuff, fellow's a success anyway and doesn't need us, we're just small time.
Title: Re: My comic strip: Back to School - in which people fail magnificently
Post by: backtoschool on March 30, 2008, 03:07:10 pm
I confess that I don't really see what's so bad about joining a forum of people who like a comic that I like in order to tell them about my comic, which I think they might like based on the fact that we like the same comics. Besides, I'm not making any money from the site or anything, I just thought some of you might enjoy it. And I'm glad some of you have!

As for my lack of artistic abilities, that one's pretty bang-on. I did, in fact, want to make a comic strip for a local paper, but my drawing skills just weren't going to cut it. I have no regrets.

Thanks again for the feedback.
Title: Re: My comic strip: Back to School - in which people fail magnificently
Post by: Golfhaus on March 30, 2008, 03:43:05 pm
I think the main concern is that if you create an account, make a post that says "Come see my webcomic!" and your sole interaction with the group is to promote your comic, it comes off a little spammy. Think of it in these terms: if your site wasn't a webcomic, but say, a website selling handbags, or hosting a petition to remove Prime Minister Sarkozy from office, would you be surprised if the response was a little hostile? The fact that your site is presenting the same type of content as the figurative subject of this forum makes it only slightly different.

Now, if you turn out to be a contributing member of the forum, then all the antagonism goes away. Otherwise, your post looks like you see us, not as the awesome group of future world-changers that we are, and more like An Unknown Quantity of Potential Customers.
Title: Re: My comic strip: Back to School - in which people fail magnificently
Post by: Drygioni on March 30, 2008, 05:54:42 pm
-removed due to knicker-twistiness/tampon-falling-out-

Title: Re: My comic strip: Back to School - in which people fail magnificently
Post by: jay-ell on March 30, 2008, 06:09:58 pm
I think, all things considered, we went pretty easy on this one. 
Title: Re: My comic strip: Back to School - in which people fail magnificently
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 30, 2008, 07:18:32 pm
Oh yeah, I'd agree.

I mean, I'd also agree that... ideally self-promotion comes AFTER joining the conversation more generally but... I mean, it's just people talkin' so I'm not too jazzercized about it.
Title: Re: My comic strip: Back to School - in which people fail magnificently
Post by: backtoschool on March 30, 2008, 07:28:34 pm
I agree too.

Obviously the most well-written internet comic ever would have a forum full of nice, reasonable people. Thanks again for your time and attention.