The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: FancieBabie on November 02, 2003, 12:00:29 am

Title: Super Secret Ice Cream Shop (10-03-03)
Post by: FancieBabie on November 02, 2003, 12:00:29 am
so like, this comic was posted nov 1. why is the date nov 3?

it's an ok one. i like phillipe's expression

Strip (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=11032003).
Title: Super Secret Ice Cream Shop November 3, 2003
Post by: Mite on November 02, 2003, 12:19:28 am
I just assumed this is Mondays comic posted super early. Maybe Onstad did have a really crappy Halloween.

I dug the artwork on the '61 Econoline. That is exactly the rape van that Nice Pete should drive. Should we be concerned for Phillipe?
Title: Super Secret Ice Cream Shop November 3, 2003
Post by: jough on November 02, 2003, 12:26:54 am
I'm very concerned for Philippe's well-being.  

That Otter needs ice cream, STAT!
Title: Super Secret Ice Cream Shop November 3, 2003
Post by: slink on November 02, 2003, 12:37:11 am
Quote from: "jough"
I'm very concerned for Philippe's well-being.  

That Otter needs ice cream, STAT!


I just pray it is ice cream. It sounds like Philippe's naivety might be getting him in something deep.
Glad to see he's still in the bee costume though!
Title: Super Secret Ice Cream Shop November 3, 2003
Post by: wombat on November 02, 2003, 01:36:59 am
Oh my GOD people how can you be talking about the DATE on this cartoon.  And you all left me ALONE with it for like TWO HOURS.

I don't think I can stand to see where this goes.  Someone email me when it's over.
Title: Super Secret Ice Cream Shop November 3, 2003
Post by: slink on November 02, 2003, 02:10:12 am
Quote from: "wombat"

I don't think I can stand to see where this goes.  Someone email me when it's over.


No, I have blind faith that it's not what I feared it might be.
Nice Pete is nicer than that. I like Nice Pete, and he'll be so nie to Philippe!
Or maybe the Japanese Syndicate have taken over Onstad's brain and they're going to turn it into something 'Audition'y or similair scary Asian movie...
Title: Super Secret Ice Cream Shop November 3, 2003
Post by: V-Adore on November 02, 2003, 03:28:07 am
I am currently praying that they actually make it and that there's nice soy ice cream in Philippe's favorite flavors and that it all works out. But I am worried. Very, very worried.

Poor Philippe...
Title: Super Secret Ice Cream Shop November 3, 2003
Post by: andalucia on November 02, 2003, 05:55:54 am
Yes, count me into the Extremely Concerned camp...
Title: Super Secret Ice Cream Shop November 3, 2003
Post by: AugustWest on November 02, 2003, 06:17:43 am
1.  Onstad posted Monday's strip on Saturday just to torture us.  What do you wanna bet Tuesday's strip will post at 11:59 PST on Tuesday?  Stupid cliffhangers!  Either that or he'll never finish the storyline.

B.  Given Onstad's wonderful taste for the absurd, what are the odds that Phillippe will end up killing Nice Pete?
Title: Super Secret Ice Cream Shop November 3, 2003
Post by: V-Adore on November 02, 2003, 06:36:42 am
I put two bucks on "Tuesday's strip posts as late as possible on Tuesday, possibly verging on Wednesday, and/or does not post at all," with an additional dollar on "storyline gets dropped wordlessly."
Title: Super Secret Ice Cream Shop November 3, 2003
Post by: FancieBabie on November 02, 2003, 03:54:36 pm
no way, phillipe will be ok.
Title: Super Secret Ice Cream Shop November 3, 2003
Post by: FeeReep on November 02, 2003, 06:16:14 pm
I had a crappy Halloween and missed the strip.

All I can do is gasp. Please, please, please let that costume have a deadly stinger.
Title: Super Secret Ice Cream Shop November 3, 2003
Post by: CortJstr on November 02, 2003, 08:25:46 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I put two bucks on "Tuesday's strip posts as late as possible on Tuesday, possibly verging on Wednesday, and/or does not post at all," with an additional dollar on "storyline gets dropped wordlessly."


This is a $5 table.

I just can't fathom doing anything to the most popular character. I know Onstad likes to be contrary but that would be bad business.
Title: Super Secret Ice Cream Shop November 3, 2003
Post by: ManDingo on November 02, 2003, 09:47:24 pm
Is that van a new vehicle Onstad modeled or a larger Todd's van?  I always like it when he illustrates new vehicles.

Super secret ice cream sounds fun! I don't know what you all are complaining about.
Title: Super Secret Ice Cream Shop November 3, 2003
Post by: revdj on November 03, 2003, 12:03:54 am
On the one hand, I know nothing really bad will happen to Philippe.

On the other - I am going to have that aforementioned uncomfortable feeling until I know for sure.
Title: Super Secret Ice Cream Shop November 3, 2003
Post by: V-Adore on November 03, 2003, 12:34:39 am
I... well, I know intellectually that Onstad wouldn't do anything permanently bad to Philippe. This doesn't prevent him from doing something temporarily very bad, though, or doing something that should be permanently very bad and then pretend that it never happened. And I worry, nonetheless.

In other notes, I believe the van is a new drawing.
Title: Super Secret Ice Cream Shop November 3, 2003
Post by: wombat on November 03, 2003, 01:35:39 am
Quote
As far as the safety of the characters goes? I don't really care. They're cartoon characters. Pull their arms off -- reattach them backstage. They have eternal life.


Reassuring, or not?
Title: Super Secret Ice Cream Shop November 3, 2003
Post by: AlohaDawg on November 03, 2003, 01:43:48 am
I'm just praying that Phillippe doesn't wind up driving that van with Todd's license plate frame on it.
Some of the other comments are awesome. The Deadly Stinger on his costume would be awesome.
Title: Super Secret Ice Cream Shop November 3, 2003
Post by: Choop on November 03, 2003, 04:33:47 am
Todd's van is obviously a 1976-8 Chevy Van, whereas Nice Pete's is presented quite plainly as a 1961 Ford Econoline "Delivery Van."

As has already been stated, it's better to be a friend of Nice Pete's than to be a stranger to Nice Pete. You don't think he kills someone because he knows and dislikes them, do you?

He may only kill people he likes inadvertently. You know, like feeding an otter ice cream.


My heart aches for Phillippe.
Title: Super Secret Ice Cream Shop November 3, 2003
Post by: gnpaaron on November 03, 2003, 05:03:24 am
Pete's murders are done because they are necessary - isn't this obvious? I don't think those people would have been murdered if they didn't need murdering. Look at Teodor - completely un-murdered.
Title: Super Secret Ice Cream Shop November 3, 2003
Post by: Hobbes on November 03, 2003, 05:27:49 am
Come on, we all know the real season for these strips is to continue to show Phillipe off in new outfits. All in building for the "Many Sides Of Phillipe" hardcover in 2004.
Title: Super Secret Ice Cream Shop November 3, 2003
Post by: doomglobe on November 03, 2003, 08:53:07 am
Quote from: "CortJstr"


I just can't fathom doing anything to the most popular character. I know Onstad likes to be contrary but that would be bad business.


You know Onstad has no mercy and is not a sell out. If he thought it was funny he would totally practice taxidermy on phillipe. and use glitter and sequins. or even make an animated gif of phillipe being sock puppeted by nice pete.

But Phillipe could just be going to the SUPER SECRET ICE CREAM SOCIETY like nice pete said, he seems to be a nice guy. I would get in a van of doom with nice pete if I was five. That would be a good decision because I would get ice cream.
Title: Super Secret Ice Cream Shop November 3, 2003
Post by: starlight on November 03, 2003, 10:37:42 am
Wow, I completely was unaware of this strip until tonight; at least I don't have to suffer with the cliffhanger as long ...unless the storyline really never finishes.

I am slightly worried; first thoughts were 'uh oh philippe!'
I know nothing too horrible could happen permanently ..beef has been killed a few times and still lives; perhaps philippe could get a net connection, too!
Title: Super Secret Ice Cream Shop November 3, 2003
Post by: bluebird_of_unhappiness on November 03, 2003, 02:43:03 pm
Is Onstad implying that...no....no, there WILL be an ice cream shop, don't worry Philippe.  They don't call him Nice Pete for nothing.

Frames of Phillippe looking away are priceless.
Title: Super Secret Ice Cream Shop November 3, 2003
Post by: CortJstr on November 03, 2003, 03:08:10 pm
Oh sure, Onstad might screw with the characters, or even kill them off in a very temporary way but they bounce back good as new. Sometimes even better.
Title: Super Secret Ice Cream Shop November 3, 2003
Post by: Steve Hogan on November 03, 2003, 03:26:29 pm
I suspect that the Super Secret Ice Cream Parlor is actually the refridgerator of some family nice Pete killed. Hope Phillipe likes Sealtest.
Title: Super Secret Ice Cream Shop November 3, 2003
Post by: sjlimmer on November 03, 2003, 07:22:21 pm
I was just happy to actually see Philippe annoyed with someone.  But then, I liked  surly teen Philippe (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=08012003)
Title: Super Secret Ice Cream Shop November 3, 2003
Post by: ferocious j on November 03, 2003, 08:10:10 pm
::wonders if this is a reference to Wet Hot American Summer and a "super secret pizza party," in which case Philippe will probably wish he had a bike helmet or something::
Title: Super Secret Ice Cream Shop November 3, 2003
Post by: jough on November 03, 2003, 08:14:51 pm
Hey, FJ, long time no post.

Good call on that reference.
Title: Super Secret Ice Cream Shop November 3, 2003
Post by: ferocious j on November 03, 2003, 11:17:36 pm
I think it'd be kind of funny-cruel (in the same vein as Philippe's unforgettable Xmas present from Lyle) to see Philippe tossed out the side of the van onto an embankment.
Title: Super Secret Ice Cream Shop November 3, 2003
Post by: slink on November 04, 2003, 03:09:25 am
Unfortunately, with the fortnight I'm having, I'm beginning to think something utterly tragic migt be about to happen...
I didn't think this week could suck worse than last!
Title: Super Secret Ice Cream Shop November 3, 2003
Post by: Anarchy_Bowling on November 05, 2003, 04:06:30 am
Am I the only one who wants to try Nice Pete's McDonalds shenanigans?

Just think it'd be fun, 'tis all.
Title: Super Secret Ice Cream Shop November 3, 2003
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on November 11, 2003, 09:25:12 am
Quote from: "starlight"
Wow, I completely was unaware of this strip until tonight;


Tonight? Heh. You're lucky. I have been out of the country for two weeks -- I return to THIS?

The horror!  :cry: