The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: robot_god on April 01, 2008, 06:50:36 am

Title: April 1st 2008 - catalogue of jokes
Post by: robot_god on April 01, 2008, 06:50:36 am
Alternative title:  good Dartmoor tin (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=04012008)
Title: Re: April 1st 2008 - catalogue of jokes
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on April 01, 2008, 06:54:40 am
I imagine it would go quite nicely with his bus (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=06232006).
Title: Re: April 1st 2008 - catalogue of jokes
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on April 01, 2008, 07:05:39 am
Stuff like this is one of the many reasons I stick with mac. Economists have a concept called searching costs. Its the cost of time and energy and money involved with trying to pull of a transaction. The searching costs of finding a non-mac are way high, theres all these crazy computers with prices ranging from like $400-4000 and I cant bear to spend the time looking into making a wise decision between them. Meanwhile Apple is a brand I trust and they only have a handful of models to choose from. "I want a laptop - Macbook or Macbook Pro - I want the best one - Mac book Pro - Purchase - I also want to run windows - Install bootcamp and windows."
Title: Re: April 1st 2008 - catalogue of jokes
Post by: HudsonVC on April 01, 2008, 07:09:06 am
This strip (one of my favorites in a while) is positively gerrymandered with alternate thread titles:

A sturdy little fellow, full of zip and dash
Ready to put the tobasco on any task
Chaps and lads from history
The 2008 Shorvis-Bishopthorpe Envaliant III
Soberly cased in good Dartmoor tin
A stout little punter, he's also a bit of a boffin
Finely crafted men's computing

I once convinced a friend of mine that "putting your cube in the moneytelly" was actual British slang for using an ATM.
Title: Re: April 1st 2008 - catalogue of jokes
Post by: Doc on April 01, 2008, 08:28:03 am
I want a finely crafted men's computer. All finished in brass, all fingerless leather computing gloves.
Title: Re: April 1st 2008 - catalogue of jokes
Post by: MrCB on April 01, 2008, 10:14:00 am
I want a finely crafted men's computer. All finished in brass, all fingerless leather computing gloves.

Would it resemble something like this (http://www.englishrussia.com/?p=1547) or perhaps this (http://steampunkworkshop.com/images/Wkb.jpg)?
Title: Re: April 1st 2008 - catalogue of jokes
Post by: Doc on April 01, 2008, 10:39:17 am
The first one doesn't seem to be working but I think I have had wet dreams about that second one before. That is exactly what I would like in a computer.
Title: Re: April 1st 2008 - catalogue of jokes
Post by: dejavroom on April 01, 2008, 11:52:04 am
What, no extra switches under the dash for those spiriting two fingers of Laphroaig?
Title: Re: April 1st 2008 - catalogue of jokes
Post by: colmore on April 01, 2008, 12:30:28 pm
So how much do you think it would be to have someone make a brass body for an old iBook?  I am single and have poor priorities.
Title: Re: April 1st 2008 - catalogue of jokes
Post by: pmcd9 on April 01, 2008, 12:37:28 pm
That computer of Cornelius' sounds like something Paul Harvey would advertise.
Title: Re: April 1st 2008 - catalogue of jokes
Post by: dejavroom on April 01, 2008, 01:00:16 pm
colmore: Seriously? You're into this? I know a guy (http://www.datamancer.net/), we can make it happen.
Title: Re: April 1st 2008 - catalogue of jokes
Post by: wombat on April 01, 2008, 03:12:22 pm
Clearly I've been going about looking for a new laptop in totally the wrong way.
Title: Re: April 1st 2008 - catalogue of jokes
Post by: MrCB on April 01, 2008, 03:33:57 pm
So how much do you think it would be to have someone make a brass body for an old iBook?  I am single and have poor priorities.

I also have been dreaming of a similar thing.

I want to get an Eee (once the new model comes out) and make it look all retro and steampunk. I'm wondering if I could coat the body with gold foil, or if I could paint it with a metallic brass paint and then varnish the hell out of it.
Title: Re: April 1st 2008 - catalogue of jokes
Post by: jay-ell on April 01, 2008, 04:22:52 pm
http://www.datamancer.net/steampunklaptop/steampunklaptop.htm (http://www.datamancer.net/steampunklaptop/steampunklaptop.htm)

With brass faceplate tutorial. 

Your welcome. 
Title: Re: April 1st 2008 - catalogue of jokes
Post by: MrCB on April 01, 2008, 04:38:52 pm
http://www.datamancer.net/steampunklaptop/steampunklaptop.htm (http://www.datamancer.net/steampunklaptop/steampunklaptop.htm)

It would pretty funny to pull that out of your bag at a meeting, doubly so when you're sitting next to someone with with a Mac Air...
Title: Re: April 1st 2008 - catalogue of jokes
Post by: jaydub on April 01, 2008, 04:45:04 pm
So awesome.
Title: Re: April 1st 2008 - catalogue of jokes
Post by: Doc on April 02, 2008, 02:00:26 am
I also have been dreaming of a similar thing.

I want to get an Eee (once the new model comes out) and make it look all retro and steampunk. I'm wondering if I could coat the body with gold foil, or if I could paint it with a metallic brass paint and then varnish the hell out of it.

Oooh an Eee would be perfect for this.
I wonder if a brass body would interfere with wireless networking.
Title: Re: April 1st 2008 - catalogue of jokes
Post by: colmore on April 02, 2008, 01:30:37 pm
Hmmm... I'm actually real good with tools and computer parts and such.  Should I maybe just not be lazy?  It seems like getting this guy to do it would be awesome and set me back a few grand.  I bookmarked his site in case I get less smart and think that having the coolest computer possible is more important than traveling to see friends.
Title: Re: April 1st 2008 - catalogue of jokes
Post by: wombat on April 02, 2008, 09:52:54 pm
I guess the message "Strips run T-F this week" was Onstad's April Fool's joke?
Title: Re: April 1st 2008 - catalogue of jokes
Post by: jaydub on April 02, 2008, 09:56:21 pm
Perhaps he meant they would run on Tuesday and Friday.  Though the notation should be different.
Title: Re: April 1st 2008 - catalogue of jokes
Post by: CortesDiddy on March 22, 2012, 02:34:42 pm

A sturdy little fellow, full of zip and dash
Ready to put the tobasco on any task
Chaps and lads from history
The 2008 Shorvis-Bishopthorpe Envaliant III
Soberly cased in good Dartmoor tin
A stout little punter, he's also a bit of a boffin
Finely crafted men's computing



These are ALMOST song lyrics.

Like they could be belted out at a footy match and end with "HEY HEY HEY HEY!!!"
Title: Re: April 1st 2008 - catalogue of jokes
Post by: pmcd9 on March 22, 2012, 04:13:00 pm
I don't have anything to add to your comment, but I do want to voice my approval of your dredging up the old threads.
Title: Re: April 1st 2008 - catalogue of jokes
Post by: jay-ell on March 22, 2012, 04:52:23 pm
Thank you for reminding me to send my annual surprise gift to my spouse at his office for April Fool's Day.