The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: CortJstr on November 02, 2003, 08:26:48 pm

Title: Quarterly Update
Post by: CortJstr on November 02, 2003, 08:26:48 pm
I can't wait to see some of these new ads. Whoo!
Title: Quarterly Update
Post by: jough on November 02, 2003, 09:08:55 pm
Cort: you'd qualify for a free ad.  I'm just saying.
Title: Quarterly Update
Post by: slink on November 02, 2003, 10:25:02 pm
F'only I had something to advertise...
Title: Quarterly Update
Post by: CortJstr on November 03, 2003, 12:30:22 am
Quote from: "slink"
F'only I had something to advertise...


My thoughts. Maybe I'll come up with something funny.
Title: Quarterly Update
Post by: V-Adore on November 03, 2003, 12:36:47 am
I, too, feel strangely compelled to come up with something worth advertising. I mean, I could just advertise my blog (with a line like "Observe How Boring V's Life Is"), but that seems like a waste of a perfectly good text ad to me.
Title: Quarterly Update
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 03, 2003, 02:13:32 am
You mean I actually have to post crap every once in a while?  But what if I have nothing interesting to say?!?
Title: Quarterly Update
Post by: jough on November 03, 2003, 02:38:10 am
Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
You mean I actually have to post crap every once in a while?  But what if I have nothing interesting to say?!?


Then you'd be just like most everyone else.

ZING!

You don't HAVE to post, but then I'm going to block your IP, because why devote resources to lurkers who contribute nothing?

That's what I say.
Title: Quarterly Update
Post by: Choop on November 03, 2003, 04:47:59 am
four posts to go! FOUR POSTS TO GO!



I SHOULD WRITE A SONG ABOUT FOUR POSTS TO GO!
Title: Quarterly Update
Post by: jay-ell on November 03, 2003, 01:26:59 pm
Quote from: "Choopernickel"
four posts to go! FOUR POSTS TO GO!



I SHOULD WRITE A SONG ABOUT FOUR POSTS TO GO!


*snork*
Title: Quarterly Update
Post by: ferocious j on November 03, 2003, 08:07:46 pm
I derive most of my entertainment these days from just reading posts as opposed to saying something, mostly because I don't need unwarranted homo jokes flying my way.
Title: Quarterly Update
Post by: jough on November 03, 2003, 08:27:01 pm
Quote from: "ferocious j"
I derive most of my entertainment these days from just reading posts as opposed to saying something, mostly because I don't need unwarranted homo jokes flying my way.


Homo jokes are always warranted, Mr. San Francisco Treat.
Title: Quarterly Update
Post by: PinkStainlessTail on November 03, 2003, 08:27:53 pm
Quote from: "ferocious j"
I derive most of my entertainment these days from just reading posts as opposed to saying something, mostly because I don't need unwarranted homo jokes flying my way.


Christ, you need a warrant for homo jokes now? Bureaucracy is just killing this country.

Jough, becuase of the text ad thing is the blog link in my sig less than kosher? Or polite, anyway?
Title: Quarterly Update
Post by: jay-ell on November 03, 2003, 08:28:22 pm
I totally think FeroJ is anything but gay.  In fact, he's one of the manliest men I know.  And that's saying something.
Title: Quarterly Update
Post by: AugustWest on November 03, 2003, 09:07:29 pm
According to Ohio vs. Mapp, you can tell a homo joke without a warrant is it's incident to a legal arrest or the subject of the joke is in plain view.  

[/unfunny legal humor]
Title: Quarterly Update
Post by: CortJstr on November 03, 2003, 09:26:26 pm
Quote from: "jldunston"
I totally think FeroJ is anything but gay.  In fact, he's one of the manliest men I know.  And that's saying something.


The lack of gayness I'll agree with but I dunno about the manliness. I've seen pictures of him over on that other board.
Title: Quarterly Update
Post by: V-Adore on November 03, 2003, 10:16:42 pm
Come on, people, can't we move beyond the homo jokes and think of new, exciting insults for FeroJ? Like, uh...

Oh, crap. Sixth grade was a long time ago, and I'm not even sure if I know any old exciting insults.
Title: Quarterly Update
Post by: ferocious j on November 03, 2003, 11:13:38 pm
Back in second grade I remember it was all the rage to somehow incorporate cabbage into insults flung across the schoolyard, but damned if I can remember why now.

Is mystery of life; cannot be solved, only looked at.
Title: Quarterly Update
Post by: Mite on November 03, 2003, 11:28:29 pm
My eighth graders like to insult each other by calling each other black. Of course, all of my students are black, but that's just one of those cultural differences I'm coming to accept
Title: Quarterly Update
Post by: jay-ell on November 04, 2003, 04:12:00 am
My spouse use to taunt a childhood friend with the epithet, "Your momma's name is Gretchen.  Gretchen-Anna Jones!"  For some reason, this was very upsetting to the other kid.  Pedro still can't explain it.  

In my schoolyard, cooties nearly reached epidemic levels.  And let's not forget individualized "germs."  E.g., "jldunston germs, no returns, guaranteed to give you worms."  

Even as a fourth-grader I had an aversion to slant rhyme.

[Edit: Also, back then, I wasn't jldunston.  That seems...odd...now.]
Title: Quarterly Update
Post by: slink on November 04, 2003, 04:21:13 am
Quote from: "jldunston"

In my schoolyard, cooties nearly reached epidemic levels.  And let's not forget individualized "germs."  E.g., "jldunston germs, no returns, guaranteed to give you worms."  

Even as a fourth-grader I had an aversion to slant rhyme.

[Edit: Also, back then, I wasn't jldunston.  That seems...odd...now.]


Hey, try it when you are only use to being called Slink! Then it gets very odd!!
And I have, for various reasons, recently been trying to remember the schoolyard taunts we had our in middle-of-nowhere Scottish village school, and for the life of me I can't remember any.
I guess there were the usual ones that went round, but I never used them. I could never understand them, or the point in them. I think I was always just a little sharper as a kid, than the people I was at school with. But then my parents brought me up scarily well in terms of making me a smart ass kid, and I always pretended to be older 'cause I hung out with my older brother a lot.
I don't know... But I never remember using any, and thusly don't actually remember any at all.
Title: Quarterly Update
Post by: jough on November 06, 2003, 11:02:43 am
Sig file quotes to your site are fine fine fine.
Title: Quarterly Update
Post by: side_show on November 08, 2003, 11:19:08 pm
A conversation about childhood insults lead to my entire goup of university thespians calling each other by horribly insulting names and even now when I run into one of my class mates years later I'm all like "Hey Stinky!!!".

I remember very loudly telling a friend "I'll see you later, you child molester!" in the middle of a very quite study room in the library to many an disgusted glance.

Amoung my friends there is, "Cheryl-the-sterile-barrel,"  and my best friend is "Little-nija-fat-head," I went through school with no nick name, and when my friend heard this he exclaimed "But Mel rhymes with Smell!!" and since about the age of ninteen my best friend now always calls me "sMells" I can't recall the last time I heard her call me by my name.
Title: Quarterly Update
Post by: jough on November 09, 2003, 12:11:16 am
Well, Smells, after revealing your nickname no one on here will likely call you anything else either. ;)

I have never had a nickname (some ex-girlfriends have tried out "asshole" or "jerkoff" for awhile, but it never really stuck) and since nothing rhymes with "Jough" (not in English, anyway) there was never anything obvious.

Friends call me Jough, co-workers always called me "Dempsey", but you can call me MISTER Dempsey.
Title: Quarterly Update
Post by: CortJstr on November 09, 2003, 01:24:15 am
After a role in King John I've been known as The Bastard.

There was a guy who we called Chris VanBuckwheat simply because nobody could pronounce his actual last name and Buckwheat was our all-purpose substitute for the unprouncable or forgotten.
Title: Quarterly Update
Post by: side_show on November 09, 2003, 01:26:47 am
Quote from: "jough"
Well, Smells, after revealing your nickname no one on here will likely call you anything else either. ;)

I have never had a nickname (some ex-girlfriends have tried out "asshole" or "jerkoff" for awhile, but it never really stuck) and since nothing rhymes with "Jough" (not in English, anyway) there was never anything obvious.

Friends call me Jough, co-workers always called me "Dempsey", but you can call me MISTER Dempsey.


Actually I quiet like J-Lough, jerkoff.
Title: Quarterly Update
Post by: V-Adore on November 09, 2003, 01:45:18 am
During high school, I was nickname Teflon. It got to the point that my friends all just called me "MyRealName," occasionally with finger-quotes to drive the point home. There was, however, one embarrassing incident where a friend in middle school chased me down the hall yelling "Heyyyy, LOBELIA...", but I've already said too much.
Title: Quarterly Update
Post by: AugustWest on November 09, 2003, 01:50:12 am
Quote from: "jough"
... but you can call me MISTER Dempsey.


Actually, they should call ME Mister Dempsey.
Title: Quarterly Update
Post by: side_show on November 09, 2003, 01:58:34 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
During high school, I was nickname Teflon.


I used to call a boy I had a crush on in highschool "Teflon Hair" which he really enjoyed.
Title: Quarterly Update
Post by: V-Adore on November 09, 2003, 02:00:55 am
Quote from: "side_show"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
During high school, I was nickname Teflon.


I used to call a boy I had a crush on in highschool "Teflon Hair" which he really enjoyed.

Well, I meant "nickname Teflon" in that they couldn't get a nickname to stick, not that I was actually nicknamed "Teflon." But that would be a really awesome nickname.
Title: Quarterly Update
Post by: jough on November 09, 2003, 05:50:19 am
Quote from: "side_show"

Actually I quiet like J-Lough, jerkoff.


So would that be pronounced like J-Law?  Or J-Loo? Or J-Loff?  Or J-Lug?

And I don't think we've ever dated, Smells, so your little pet name for me is just wholly inappropriate.
Title: Quarterly Update
Post by: andalucia on November 09, 2003, 02:47:09 pm
Quote from: "side_show"
Amoung my friends there is, "Cheryl-the-sterile-barrel,"  and my best friend is "Little-nija-fat-head," I went through school with no nick name, and when my friend heard this he exclaimed "But Mel rhymes with Smell!!" and since about the age of ninteen my best friend now always calls me "sMells" I can't recall the last time I heard her call me by my name.


My friends are also all about the rhyming, or efficient-combination of name and insult nicknames, hence, Daryl becomes Steryl, and I, being Lily, am Smilly, since it's easier to say than Smelly Lily.  It's a good life.

Ironic insults are also a fun game... a very good friend of mine succeeded in starting a trend of calling me "The Fattest", as in real life I am unreasonably scrawny.  It caught on.
Title: Quarterly Update
Post by: sjlimmer on November 10, 2003, 03:13:28 am
Way back in the day, in elementary school, the kids used to call me "Limburger cheese", presumably because a) Limburger is similar  to my last name and b) said cheese is reputed to be smelly.  I don't remember being bothered by it, and in fact I may have found it a little sad that they couldn't come up with anything better.

In high school, I was variously known as "Stego Steve" (long story) and "Slug" (even longer story).  Slug actually stuck for many years, in part because I used it in my email address, as a character name on several muds, and in general conversation.  At least two old acquaintances still call me that, in fact.

I also had a boss who called me Thug ("Because you look like a thug") and/or Voux (for reasons that never really made sense).  But nowadays, most people just ignore me, which is the best nickname/insult yet.
Title: Quarterly Update
Post by: jay-ell on November 10, 2003, 01:38:25 pm
I knew I guy named Steve Galbraith.  He used to introduce himself as "Seagull Breath."  

I never had a nickname, fortunately.  I wasn't popular enough to be picked on.
Title: Quarterly Update
Post by: side_show on November 11, 2003, 12:06:00 am
Quote from: "jough"
Quote from: "side_show"

Actually I quiet like J-Lough, jerkoff.


So would that be pronounced like J-Law?  Or J-Loo? Or J-Loff?  Or J-Lug?

And I don't think we've ever dated, Smells, so your little pet name for me is just wholly inappropriate.


J-Lough doesn't need to be pronounced - this is a message board so I assume it's not really read aloud by anyone but the most creepy weirdos. Also, Jerkoff, sarcastic verbal sparring and no physical contact describes all my relationships in the late 90's, so for me it's almost like we're dating right now!
Title: Quarterly Update
Post by: side_show on November 11, 2003, 12:21:44 am
Quote from: "andalucia"

Ironic insults are also a fun game... a very good friend of mine succeeded in starting a trend of calling me "The Fattest", as in real life I am unreasonably scrawny.  It caught on.


When I worked at the comic store I used to greet one of they older-and-still-lives-with-his-mother type geeks who was hard core into the Japanse school girl comics with "Hey there Handsome" - he always reacted in the terrified way that men who don't have woman be nice to them do, and I always enjoyed knowing there was nothing handsome about him.
Title: Quarterly Update
Post by: jough on November 11, 2003, 02:24:55 am
Quote from: "side_show"
sarcastic verbal sparring and no physical contact describes all my relationships in the late 90's, so for me it's almost like we're dating right now!


Wow, you're quite the fuck*ng keeper, huh, Smells?
Title: Quarterly Update
Post by: side_show on November 11, 2003, 03:00:41 am
You got that right, Jerkoff
Title: Quarterly Update
Post by: jough on November 11, 2003, 03:18:14 am
You'd better knock it off, Smells.  They'll think we're in love.
Title: Quarterly Update
Post by: AugustWest on November 11, 2003, 03:36:51 am
Smells and Jerkoff
Sittin' in a tree
K - I - SS - I - N - G
First comes Love
Then comes Marriage
Then comes Jerkoff
With a baby carriage.


What a lovely couple you two make.  Where are you registered?
Title: Quarterly Update
Post by: side_show on November 11, 2003, 03:41:23 am
Quote from: "AugustWest"

Then comes Jerkoff
With a baby carriage.


This sounds like something very illegal.
Title: Quarterly Update
Post by: slink on November 11, 2003, 03:53:01 am
Quote from: "AugustWest"

Then comes Jerkoff
With a baby carriage.


That's a new kind of classy.

I feel terribly left out. I want a hugely derogatory and unfair nickname.
Come on guys, I know you're just aching to throw suggestions at me!
Title: Quarterly Update
Post by: side_show on November 11, 2003, 04:38:04 am
Well. slink becomes stink very easily.
Title: Quarterly Update
Post by: slink on November 11, 2003, 04:55:50 am
Quote from: "side_show"
Well. slink becomes stink very easily.


Maybe that's why everyone calls me Slinky now.
Title: Quarterly Update
Post by: side_show on November 11, 2003, 05:04:01 am
Quote from: "slink"
Quote from: "side_show"
Well. slink becomes stink very easily.


Maybe that's why everyone calls me Slinky now.


I already call someone "Stinky" aka "stinky-Sherry-smells like eggs" and often when she walks into a room people will say "Does somebody smell eggs?"  Which confused the profs to no end.  This all comes from her being over at my house, where we fried up eggs and then beautifully gift wrapped them and delivered them to our friends' mail boxes with quotes from Green Eggs and Ham.  Her and my other friend aka "Diaper baby" also regularly came over to my place to launch eggs off my balcony onto Broadway.
Title: Quarterly Update
Post by: slink on November 11, 2003, 05:34:39 am
Quote from: "side_show"
Her and my other friend aka "Diaper baby" also regularly came over to my place to launch eggs off my balcony onto Broadway.


Suddenly I feel normal having a best friend called Millhouse.
(He is actually the spitting image of Millhouse. To the extent we wanted to dye his hair blue on his birthday, but he escaped us).
Title: Quarterly Update
Post by: FeeReep on November 11, 2003, 06:58:25 am
Quote
Maybe that's why everyone calls me Slinky now.


Have you noticed whether, when descending a staircase, you make a slinkety sound? That would be a marvelous thing.
Title: Quarterly Update
Post by: slink on November 11, 2003, 05:37:12 pm
Quote from: "FeeReep"

Have you noticed whether, when descending a staircase, you make a slinkety sound? That would be a marvelous thing.


Not noticed so, although people do occasionally sing the Slinky song when I do! And I tend to stop two stairs from the bottom to cries of disappointment.
Title: Quarterly Update
Post by: side_show on November 12, 2003, 12:18:09 am
Quote from: "slink"
Quote from: "FeeReep"

Have you noticed whether, when descending a staircase, you make a slinkety sound? That would be a marvelous thing.


Not noticed so, although people do occasionally sing the Slinky song when I do! And I tend to stop two stairs from the bottom to cries of disappointment.


Well, if your friend's really love you, perhaps your new nick name could simply be "a marvelous thing."

Also, I am glowing with pride over my new title.