The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: Pedro Picasso on April 10, 2008, 01:03:21 pm

Title: Reviews are worthless
Post by: Pedro Picasso on April 10, 2008, 01:03:21 pm
I'm thinking of buying the new R.E.M. album Accelerate.  Out of Time is my favorite album in the whole wide world.  I liked Automatic for the People.  I didn't like Monster.  When I look at reviews, the reviewers don't seem to think Out of Time was the best thing to happen to music ever, and some of them like Monster a lot.  So I can't trust them on this Accelerate business.

I also love Thriller to death.  I'm planning on picking up the new Gnarles Barkley album and Optimus Rhyme's School the Indie Rockers.  I probably just have terrible taste in music. 

I trust you guys.  Is Accelerate a good album?
Title: Re: Reviews are worthless
Post by: wombat on April 10, 2008, 03:56:41 pm
Well this is not exactly a review, but for what it's worth, I have only Out of Time and a couple earlier albums, and when I heard them do a song from the new one on the Colbert Report, I thought "huh, that sounds like REM, I should buy it."

I don't remember anything about the intervening album or albums but I assume I don't have them because I did not have that thought.

The best part though was when in the interview Colbert says, "People are calling this your comeback album. When you hear people say that do you want to tell those people to go fuck themselves?"
Title: Re: Reviews are worthless
Post by: Golfhaus on April 10, 2008, 10:03:23 pm
I pretty much love everything R.E.M. did between Document and New Adventures in Hi-Fi. The more recent ones weren't as accessible to me, but I still liked them, even if I didn't play them over and over like I did with Automatic For The People or Green.

I'll get the album... the same way I've been getting them all.
Title: Re: Reviews are worthless
Post by: littlefallsmets on April 10, 2008, 10:09:00 pm
I like a little REM but I feel deeply ashamed of liking a little REM for reasons I don't totally get.

I hide it, the way many people hide their porno or so forth.
Title: Re: Reviews are worthless
Post by: Doc on April 10, 2008, 10:24:37 pm
But you are quite open about your affection for Axl-fuck*ng-Rose?

Some days I just don't get you LFM.

REM is a band of music played well by men. But I haven't listened to this album so I have no useful input.
Title: Re: Reviews are worthless
Post by: littlefallsmets on April 10, 2008, 10:30:14 pm
Yeah, this is basically the key to figurin' me out.

When you fully grasp why I can shout from the mountains how much "Estranged" rocked and yet I sorta have to look at my shoes when I'm forced to admit that I sorta dig "Nightswimming"... you will have figured me out.

And also? America.
Title: Re: Reviews are worthless
Post by: theinevitable on April 10, 2008, 10:34:15 pm
I have some REM albums that I bought on vinyl because I knew I liked a few of their songs, and used albums are typically cheap. So, I have to be that douchebag who says "I don't know, I've only heard their early stuff."
So, yeah, Murmur and Document are really rad. and Automatic for the People. I haven't listened to any of the other stuff.
Title: Re: Reviews are worthless
Post by: Limmo on April 11, 2008, 02:30:06 am
I'm thinking of buying the new R.E.M. album Accelerate.  Out of Time is my favorite album in the whole wide world.  I liked Automatic for the People.  I didn't like Monster.  When I look at reviews, the reviewers don't seem to think Out of Time was the best thing to happen to music ever, and some of them like Monster a lot.  So I can't trust them on this Accelerate business.

I also love Thriller to death.  I'm planning on picking up the new Gnarles Barkley album and Optimus Rhyme's School the Indie Rockers.  I probably just have terrible taste in music. 

I trust you guys.  Is Accelerate a good album?

What I've heard of it is rocking in the "Second Guessing" or "I Believe" mode, and not rocking in the awful Monster sense of the word.  Why not just go to The Hype Machine (http://hypem.com/about) and download a few tracks for evaluation?
Title: Re: Reviews are worthless
Post by: Pedro Picasso on May 06, 2008, 08:46:27 pm
Thanks for your help, everybody.  I did end up buying the album, and it is "a good album".  I'm having a ton of fun with it.  "Houston" has a really neat sound.  I wish I didn't know what it was about.  It would be more fun to think of lyrics like 'if the storm doesn't kill me, the government will' out of context.