The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: MrCB on April 23, 2008, 08:15:54 am

Title: 23 April 2008 - Eight Millimeter Balkan Hitting-Porn
Post by: MrCB on April 23, 2008, 08:15:54 am
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=04232008 (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=04232008)

So so many choices of title here. It's good to see the Roomba again.
Title: Re: 23 April 2008 - Eight Millimeter Balkan Hitting-Porn
Post by: CortJstr on April 23, 2008, 01:13:36 pm
The close-up of Teodor is way creepier than I was prepared to see at 9am.
Title: Re: 23 April 2008 - Eight Millimeter Balkan Hitting-Porn
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on April 23, 2008, 01:15:06 pm
I understand Beef's concern, but I saw the cinema/reconditioning scene when I was like 12 years old, and that shit freaked me out.
Title: Re: 23 April 2008 - Eight Millimeter Balkan Hitting-Porn
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on April 23, 2008, 01:28:41 pm
CTO have connected here on a personal level. A lot of people see this movie as some kind of masterpiece, I thought it was patently absurd. I mean, I understood what Kubrick was doing from an artistic perspective, but it was just too distracting.
Title: Re: 23 April 2008 - Eight Millimeter Balkan Hitting-Porn
Post by: jay-ell on April 23, 2008, 01:46:14 pm
This movie is in my Netflix queue.  I noticed recently that it is available for instant access. 

Hm. 

Hm. 
Title: Re: 23 April 2008 - Eight Millimeter Balkan Hitting-Porn
Post by: Doc on April 23, 2008, 02:07:36 pm
Props for Roomba being on the bed next to T in the first panel.
Title: Re: 23 April 2008 - Eight Millimeter Balkan Hitting-Porn
Post by: CortJstr on April 23, 2008, 02:45:50 pm
Props for Roomba being on the bed next to T in the first panel.

At first glance I thought that was his hat
Title: Re: 23 April 2008 - Eight Millimeter Balkan Hitting-Porn
Post by: melack on April 23, 2008, 06:48:01 pm
Dude. This comic made me laugh so hard. It's difficult to explain to your co-workers why a drawing of a bear using the word "bonch" just made you spit water on your desk.

But, man, was it worth it.
Title: Re: 23 April 2008 - Eight Millimeter Balkan Hitting-Porn
Post by: jaydub on April 23, 2008, 08:25:25 pm
Props for Roomba being on the bed next to T in the first panel.
That's some serious devotion to a *****ic appliance.  I would not have thought they were all that snuggly.
Title: Re: 23 April 2008 - Eight Millimeter Balkan Hitting-Porn
Post by: Drygioni on April 23, 2008, 08:48:10 pm
This movie is in my Netflix queue.  I noticed recently that it is available for instant access. 

Hm. 

Hm. 

Call this a hunch, but I am pretty sure you will detest this movie.

I did a Clockwork Orange for my A Level coursework (basically a small dissertation), and having seen the film I was pleasantly surprised by the direction Kubrick took the film in, stylistically etc. I think he captured the 'feel' of the book pretty well, while fleshing out a lot of the tale with the artistic licence he gave himself.

Still reckon it's a better book than film, and was interesting to study (a bit of a stretch when I was using it in a compare-and-contrast question with 1984). It's very hit-and-miss though, the language in both mediums turns a lot of people off and if not viewed in a certain way it appears incredibly absurd. There's also the violence, rape, misogyny, etc. Best watch it with a surreal air, I suppose.

Title: Re: 23 April 2008 - Eight Millimeter Balkan Hitting-Porn
Post by: jay-ell on April 23, 2008, 08:51:52 pm
Let me ask this way: Two of my favorite movies are Dr. Strangelove and Fight Club. 

Will I enjoy A Clockwork Orange? 
Title: Re: 23 April 2008 - Eight Millimeter Balkan Hitting-Porn
Post by: Drygioni on April 23, 2008, 08:54:48 pm
Let me ask this way: Two of my favorite movies are Dr. Strangelove and Fight Club. 

Will I enjoy A Clockwork Orange? 

Well I love those films too, and I enjoyed it, and I expect many people are the same.

So I would go for it, I think it's a film that should be seen.

I'm just a bit cautious recommending this film to the stronger sex as at least three lovely women have gone mental at me for recommending this film to them (they really did hate it that much).
Title: Re: 23 April 2008 - Eight Millimeter Balkan Hitting-Porn
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on April 23, 2008, 08:58:06 pm
Dr.Strangelove and Fight Club have thinly veiled philosophical messages that multiply the entertainment value of the film. The message behind ACO is like, warning you against brainwashing or against taking the pursuit of an ideal society too far. Meanwhile, you watch a bunch of rape, senseless violence, lactating statues, and bizarre costumes.
I'd say give it a spin just because its one of those modern classics, and try to turn your mind off like you do during a sci-fi or thriller movie so the absurdity of it all doesn't distract from Kubrick's artistic vision.
Title: Re: 23 April 2008 - Eight Millimeter Balkan Hitting-Porn
Post by: Drygioni on April 23, 2008, 09:01:06 pm
try to turn your mind off like you do during a sci-fi or thriller movie so the absurdity of it all doesn't distract from Kubrick's artistic vision.

Yes that is good advice right here there.
Title: Re: 23 April 2008 - Eight Millimeter Balkan Hitting-Porn
Post by: theinevitable on April 23, 2008, 09:27:13 pm
Quote
try to turn your mind off like you do during a sci-fi

Oh no you di'n't! You've crossed a line, my friend.
Title: Re: 23 April 2008 - Eight Millimeter Balkan Hitting-Porn
Post by: IsoscelesLock on April 24, 2008, 01:13:41 pm
I thought part of the idea behind the gruesome violence, etc., was that as much of a monster as Alex is we still feel empathy for what the state does to him in the name of rehabilitation?

So the more horrible bits serve the plot.

ACO is one of my favorites, but I'm a sucker for Kubrick, and give any of the great directors a lot of leeway when it comes to judging their films.

(And Dr. Strangelove is probably my favorite Kubrick film, but that's probably due as much to Peter Sellers as Kubrick)

Of course, I love almost everything Terry Gilliam has done, too, so take the above with a grain of salt.

Oh yea, the comic.  This is great.  I, too, did a spit take at "bonch"
Title: Re: 23 April 2008 - Eight Millimeter Balkan Hitting-Porn
Post by: colmore on April 25, 2008, 12:16:10 am
Mind Control = bad is an easy point to make.

Mind Control to tame an unredeemable sociopath = bad is a much bolder statement.  And Kubrick was absolutely going for that idea.  It's why he left out the final chapter of the book, it didn't fit with the way he wanted to read the text.

The problem with the movie is I don't think that the Fark/Southpark crowd who love it so much understand that Alex isn't a sympathetic character.  They're pretty down with enjoying the ideas of rape and violence.

I think this is one of those "rate the film, not the fans" ones.