The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: Asherdan on April 24, 2008, 08:51:23 pm
-
(http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--k5m636Zb--/m5dvkzj95cd6xl0k4nnx.gif)
-
My current jobs always schedules Employee Appreciation Day for today, so most of the staff is busy getting massages or playing hallway mini-golf to notice if kids are running around. I think I've seen 2 or 3.
My last job didn't allow it at all. We often put put press releases to bitch about it because it's during the school year. They wanted it moved to July so it wouldn't hurt the kids' education.
-
My kids are still too young for this, but when they get older Pedro will certainly have a grand time with it. He basically thinks everyone should be a computer programmer. (He's been trying to convince *me* to go back to school for it -- thanks but no thanks.)
I never got to do this as a kid because my mom didn't have a job and my dad was a teacher. So being pulled out of school to go spend the day at a different school was...redundant.
-
I didn't realize today was the day, but there were lots of folks with kids around the office (not IN the office where I was working, but out on the street and such), but I figured it out pretty quickly.
My kids are a bit too young for this yet. And while I like the overall idea, I'm not sure they'll get much out of it when I do take them. My job is too immaterial. "OK, we're going to go sit in a meeting now. Now Daddy's going to send a bunch of e-mails. Now Daddy's going to surf the web for a while, to evade mind-crushing boredom." Like, I'll have to come up with the absolutely most inetersting things I do over the course of a year, and save them for Take Your Kids to Work Day.
-
Do you want to hear something sad? On Take Your Kid to Work day, rich people who can't/don't want to take their kids to work send them to the theatre, and we have to keep them occupied. Usually these are kids from the uber-expensive private school, and we make them do boring menial work all day. I have occasionally asked these kids what their parents do, and they have never been the sort of jobs where the kids couldn't have gone to work with them, and the kids make vague, kid style excuses for their parents.
-
I had avoided making a pun regarding this thread and the one-hit bubblegum-punk band Offspring, not because I lacked the ability to work "come out and play/you gotta keep 'em separated" into a pun but... rather... because I hoped that the world had forgotten them and no one would get the joke and...
Only my brain, with its steel trap for catching the garbage grease that flows off the cooking our culture, remembered that band at all.
But, I dunno, I just wanted to lay it out there because... in theory... it mighta been worth half a laugh.
-
Come Out and Play was our entrance music back when I was wrestling. Well, we briefly used More Human Than Human, but having to fast-forward past the moaning every time got kind of old. And if you don't like the album Smash then to what music do you work out?
Intermission. Ahhhhhhhhhh.
-
I had Smash on cassette. About ten years later, my brother-in-law -- then seventeen -- told me one day, "you've got to hear this great band I discovered." Of course it was the Offspring. I was like, "Dude, I've been listening to them since before you knew what music was."
-
I was chatting online to a friend of mine who is mentally categorised as a music snob and I made some comment when Offspring came up in my random list to the effect of 'Ech, Offspring, not in the mood' to which she replied that it was 'Always time for Offspring.'
Which I thought was a fair enough assessment.
-
It is probably a lot less that I am new to the SoCal and a lot more that... I don't listen to much punk.
Also: if I had ever been a wrestler, I would've come out to GNR "Dead hoss"...
The house would cut dark, you'd hear Axl mutter "when she said she was gonna, like, wreck my car? I didn't know WHAT to do..." and then when when the dude screams "WHHHOOOOOA!" I'd run out and fireworks would go off to both my sides as I ran down the ramp.
Also also: if I had ever been a relief pitcher, ironically enough, my entrance music would be a wrestler's... Mick Foley's "Wreck"...
So that as I came out to throw to my one lefty-lefty match-up batter, the first thing you'd hear would be a car crash... sorta an inverse Wild Thing sorta move.
Also also also: I don't often work out but when I do, I work out to NIN "Broken".
Sorta like that beardy guy and Dos Ecces, except even cooler.
-
My wife has some pretty sterling punk credentials and maintains that Offspring were really good pre-Smash. I haven't bothered to find out. I liked Smash when I was 14 or whatever.
-
It is probably a lot less that I am new to the SoCal and a lot more that... I don't listen to much punk.
Also: if I had ever been a wrestler, I would've come out to GNR "Dead hoss"...
The house would cut dark, you'd hear Axl mutter "when she said she was gonna, like, wreck my car? I didn't know WHAT to do..." and then when when the dude screams "WHHHOOOOOA!" I'd run out and fireworks would go off to both my sides as I ran down the ramp.
Also also: if I had ever been a relief pitcher, ironically enough, my entrance music would be a wrestler's... Mick Foley's "Wreck"...
So that as I came out to throw to my one lefty-lefty match-up batter, the first thing you'd hear would be a car crash... sorta an inverse Wild Thing sorta move.
Also also also: I don't often work out but when I do, I work out to NIN "Broken".
Sorta like that beardy guy and Dos Ecces, except even cooler.
For some reason it took me a really long time to stop confusing Mick Foley's car crash intro and SCSA's glass shattering intro. Which lead to some hilarious mix-ups, let me tell you.
-
Once my dad took me to work when I was little'un, and I promptly proceeded to turn off the big computer mainframe (like they had in the '90s).
He was not very happy and I did not get to go to work with him again.
-
That sounds so much like part of a plot for a ridiculous 90s kids' movie.
-
Especially if the mainframe's AI was voiced by Kelsey Grammer.
...was it?
-
Especially if the mainframe's AI was voiced by Kelsey Grammer.
...was it?
No, but my dad did appear just as I pressed it and said "Just what do you think you're doing, Dave?"
I've never asked him if he was being clever or not.
-
Wait -- is your name Dave?
Because, if not, I think that is extremely awesome.
-
My Dad took me into his office in Sydney once when I was about 9. I drew pictures of dogs, then ran them off on the photocopier so I could have lots to color. I drank about 12 cups of coffee (because you're supposed to drink coffee at the office). Apparently my eyes were the size of saucers by the time we went home.
-
I used to go to the office with my dad a lot, not for any special reason, but because we were together and that's what he was doing. I remember he worked as a salesman for a refractory company. And they had a distribution warehouse where his office was. I used to go out in the warehouse and climb up on the pallets of refractory and walk around the warehouse. I was 5-6 years old walking around unsupervised in an industrial warehouse about 8-10 feet off the ground on unstable piles of bags or bricks. There were probably forklifts wizzing around ala this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7r5gZnx4y0c). In retrospect it was probably a very dangerous situation. Ah well, nothing ever bad came of it. Afterwards we would go enjoy a nice muffuletta (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/sets/72157603368540413/) together.
-
I used to go to the office with my dad a lot, not for any special reason, but because we were together and that's what he was doing. I remember he worked as a salesman for a refractory company. And they had a distribution warehouse where his office was. I used to go out in the warehouse and climb up on the pallets of refractory and walk around the warehouse. I was 5-6 years old walking around unsupervised in an industrial warehouse about 8-10 feet off the ground on unstable piles of bags or bricks. There were probably forklifts wizzing around ala this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7r5gZnx4y0c). In retrospect it was probably a very dangerous situation. Ah well, nothing ever bad came of it. Afterwards we would go enjoy a nice muffuletta (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/sets/72157603368540413/) together.
If it was refractory materials from back in the day there was probably a ton of asbestos around.
I'm just sayin' is all...