The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: side_show on April 26, 2008, 12:35:11 pm

Title: Happy Birthday Mr. Dempsey, where ever you are.
Post by: side_show on April 26, 2008, 12:35:11 pm
Happy Birthday Jough. 

You are missed.

Hope the not dying thing is going well.

Melanie
Title: Re: Happy Birthday Mr. Dempsey, where ever you are.
Post by: Doc on April 26, 2008, 01:19:53 pm
Likewise oh Glorious Leader. We hope this year to add to the infinitude of which you have experienced since your (and the universe's) inception is especially enjoyable.
Title: Re: Happy Birthday Mr. Dempsey, where ever you are.
Post by: jay-ell on April 26, 2008, 03:37:41 pm
Kiss kiss, darling. 
Title: Re: Happy Birthday Mr. Dempsey, where ever you are.
Post by: AugustWest on April 26, 2008, 03:57:17 pm
Rock out wid your cock out on the day of your birth, cuz.
Title: Re: Happy Birthday Mr. Dempsey, where ever you are.
Post by: jaydub on April 26, 2008, 04:30:14 pm
May the blessings of Heaven shower upon God's Own Dick.  Feliz navidad, jefe.
Title: Re: Happy Birthday Mr. Dempsey, where ever you are.
Post by: littlefallsmets on April 26, 2008, 05:05:35 pm
Happy Joughday.

Many happy happies.
Title: Re: Happy Birthday Mr. Dempsey, where ever you are.
Post by: lprkn on April 26, 2008, 09:55:07 pm
Happy b-day, yo.
Title: Re: Happy Birthday Mr. Dempsey, where ever you are.
Post by: linnea on April 26, 2008, 10:36:37 pm
Happy birthday, dahling! I hope you have a great birthday.
Title: Re: Happy Birthday Mr. Dempsey, where ever you are.
Post by: Drygioni on April 27, 2008, 12:20:01 am
Joff, Jow, whatever you may be,
Ireland-land is your home country,
You were born in a land
Your ancestors reached by sea,
And you forsake us all so you get pussssy.


DON'T BLAME IT ONNNN WOMBAT
DON'T BLAME IT ON THE PLEASE, DO NOT MENTION THAT HERE*
DON'T BLAME IT ON BOZACK
BLAME IT ON THE JOUGHEY
HE JUST CAN'T
HE JUST CAN'T
HE JUST CAN'T MAKE TIME FOR US


*Well your filter fucked that up! No Happy Birthday for you!
Title: Re: Happy Birthday Mr. Dempsey, where ever you are.
Post by: CortJstr on April 27, 2008, 12:46:03 am
Joff, Jow, whatever you may be,
Ireland-land is your home country,
You were born in a land
Your ancestors reached by sea,
And you forsake us all so you get pussssy.


DON'T BLAME IT ONNNN WOMBAT
DON'T BLAME IT ON THE PLEASE, DO NOT MENTION THAT HERE*
DON'T BLAME IT ON BOZACK
BLAME IT ON THE JOUGHEY
HE JUST CAN'T
HE JUST CAN'T
HE JUST CAN'T MAKE TIME FOR US


*Well your filter fucked that up! No Happy Birthday for you!

I must know! What was the filter?
Title: Re: Happy Birthday Mr. Dempsey, where ever you are.
Post by: Drygioni on April 27, 2008, 12:49:41 am
I must know! What was the filter?

PLEASE, DO NOT MENTION THAT HERE
Title: Re: Happy Birthday Mr. Dempsey, where ever you are.
Post by: CortJstr on April 27, 2008, 01:15:16 am
I must know! What was the filter?

PLEASE, DO NOT MENTION THAT HERE

Nooooooooooooo!
Title: Re: Happy Birthday Mr. Dempsey, where ever you are.
Post by: theinevitable on April 27, 2008, 01:19:37 am
happy birthday joughy-boy!
Title: Re: Happy Birthday Mr. Dempsey, where ever you are.
Post by: linnea on April 27, 2008, 03:01:19 am
I must know! What was the filter?
PLEASE, DO NOT MENTION THAT HERE
Nooooooooooooo!
Christ, you damn kids and your filters! What the hell does PLEASE, DO NOT MENTION THAT HERE filter out?
Title: Re: Happy Birthday Mr. Dempsey, where ever you are.
Post by: Doc on April 27, 2008, 04:09:56 am
Ok based on it being a poster's name but one who doesn't show up much....

Bobby
misterqueue
Hobot
THA SUGAH RAIN HAS COME (please no)
Onstad

Well I'm out of ideas
Title: Re: Happy Birthday Mr. Dempsey, where ever you are.
Post by: littlefallsmets on April 27, 2008, 05:43:21 am
Hmmmmmm.

Phil Collins?

No?

Dammit. That's gonna be the answer to something, someday.
Title: Re: Happy Birthday Mr. Dempsey, where ever you are.
Post by: KeithHernandez on April 27, 2008, 10:46:23 am
toto?
Title: Re: Happy Birthday Mr. Dempsey, where ever you are.
Post by: Drygioni on April 27, 2008, 11:05:46 am
Close, but you're way off.

Think internet phenomenon.
Title: Re: Happy Birthday Mr. Dempsey, where ever you are.
Post by: Doc on April 27, 2008, 01:01:00 pm
PLEASE, DO NOT MENTION THAT HERE?
Title: Re: Happy Birthday Mr. Dempsey, where ever you are.
Post by: Doc on April 27, 2008, 01:01:16 pm
Oh, well that makes sense.

I can't see how your post in the today I'm gonna thread makes any sense though Judy. I can only surmise you lead us on out of spite and malice.
Title: Re: Happy Birthday Mr. Dempsey, where ever you are.
Post by: CortJstr on April 27, 2008, 02:43:43 pm

Christ, you damn kids and your filters! What the hell does PLEASE, DO NOT MENTION THAT HERE filter out?

A super-annoying feline-based meme that first got popular about a year and a half ago. RStevens had his own version called lolbots.
Title: Re: Happy Birthday Mr. Dempsey, where ever you are.
Post by: wombat on April 27, 2008, 02:53:51 pm
PLEASE, DO NOT MENTION THAT HERE?

That's all?
Title: Re: Happy Birthday Mr. Dempsey, where ever you are.
Post by: side_show on April 27, 2008, 06:29:26 pm
lol cats?  (PLEASE, DO NOT MENTION THAT HERE)

I can has cheeseburger?

Barbed c*ck?
Title: Re: Happy Birthday Mr. Dempsey, where ever you are.
Post by: side_show on April 27, 2008, 06:32:31 pm
Ah, so I can has cheeseburger.  Good.  Good.
Title: Re: Happy Birthday Mr. Dempsey, where ever you are.
Post by: Golfhaus on April 27, 2008, 06:40:19 pm
Yes you CAN (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=07172007).
Title: Re: Happy Birthday Mr. Dempsey, where ever you are.
Post by: littlefallsmets on April 27, 2008, 09:25:04 pm
Hm. Yeah, I never really "got" that meme, I guess. All Your Base, neither.

But the "Ate Your Balls" fad, there was something just... fascinating about it.

Not entertaining but, like, fascinating.

Like you knew that this was exactly where the web was heading and it was just waiting for the technology to catch up with the impulse. Like a baby taking its first steps and your mind fully grasping that in twenty years it will be using this skill to unsuccessfully run from the police.

There was something mezmerizing about it.
Title: Re: Happy Birthday Mr. Dempsey, where ever you are.
Post by: Golfhaus on April 27, 2008, 10:51:40 pm
Back when I had a website, I had an interview section where I would talk to people who had done something on the Internet that amused me. I considered it quite the coup that I got the guy who did the original Mr. T/Chewbacca Ate My Balls pages.

Nowadays, if I did that, they'd laugh at me!
Title: Re: Happy Birthday Mr. Dempsey, where ever you are.
Post by: CortJstr on April 27, 2008, 11:29:12 pm
Back when I had a website, I had an interview section where I would talk to people who had done something on the Internet that amused me. I considered it quite the coup that I got the guy who did the original Mr. T/Chewbacca Ate My Balls pages.

Nowadays, if I did that, they'd laugh at me!

Totally (http://blog.wired.com/underwire/roflcon/index.html).
Title: Re: Happy Birthday Mr. Dempsey, where ever you are.
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on April 28, 2008, 02:05:54 pm
I know Jough is alive, because I saw a comment he made on some blog the other day.  I forget which one, some tech/geek blog that I don't read regularly.

Interesting, going down a completely random comment thread, and thinking "Hey I know that guy."
Title: Re: Happy Birthday Mr. Dempsey, where ever you are.
Post by: Doc on April 28, 2008, 02:15:09 pm
I do that on Lore's blog a lot. Mainly with Cort.
Title: Re: Happy Birthday Mr. Dempsey, where ever you are.
Post by: wombat on April 28, 2008, 02:52:26 pm
Thread Hijack:

When exactly did it happen that blogs became only slightly different from messageboards and forums? Used to be a blog was where you read someone else's thoughts - it was like a magazine written by one person and you'd go read their articles. Now, you read sometimes dozens or hundreds of paragraphs of other people's thoughts on someone else's thoughts. It's just like here, except the page layout is different.

I swear this is not how it used to be. A few weeks ago my agent sent out a message saying she'd set up a private blog where all her clients could talk to each other, and I was totally confused. It was like she was saying "I'm publishing a magazine where we can all communicate with each other."  No, that's a thing where you read stuff, not where you talk to each other, you know?

Stop the evolution of the internet, I want to catch up!
Title: Re: Happy Birthday Mr. Dempsey, where ever you are.
Post by: lprkn on April 28, 2008, 04:07:06 pm
In other news, the word "blog" is still irritating despite its general acceptance.
Title: Re: Happy Birthday Mr. Dempsey, where ever you are.
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on April 28, 2008, 04:09:56 pm
Blogs are message boards with one celebrity admin who is the only person allowed to start threads.
Title: Re: Happy Birthday Mr. Dempsey, where ever you are.
Post by: wombat on April 28, 2008, 04:17:11 pm
Ah, that makes perfect sense.
Title: Re: Happy Birthday Mr. Dempsey, where ever you are.
Post by: jay-ell on April 28, 2008, 05:43:09 pm
Blogs are message boards with one celebrity admin who is the only person allowed to start threads.

Much like this board back in Dumbrella days. 
Title: Re: Happy Birthday Mr. Dempsey, where ever you are.
Post by: theinevitable on April 28, 2008, 06:01:52 pm
Quote
I swear this is not how it used to be. A few weeks ago my agent sent out a message saying she'd set up a private blog where all her clients could talk to each other, and I was totally confused. It was like she was saying "I'm publishing a magazine where we can all communicate with each other."  No, that's a thing where you read stuff, not where you talk to each other, you know?

I mean, this could also be a case where your agent doesn't understand what blogs are? Or maybe she means the kind of thing where multiple people can post new... posts... and so you can use it to share your ideas with each other.

My anthro professor told us that he really liked the idea of having a message board for the class, but it always got confusing once there were all these conversations going on at once.
Apparently he did not know you could make multiple threads? Or split threads?
Title: Re: Happy Birthday Mr. Dempsey, where ever you are.
Post by: wombat on April 28, 2008, 07:14:04 pm
No, it's obviously a blog. People are making what are obviously blog posts and other people are discussing them in the comments.

I'm quite sure that I was the one who didn't understand what a blog is nowadays.
Title: Re: Happy Birthday Mr. Dempsey, where ever you are.
Post by: jaydub on April 28, 2008, 07:54:26 pm
No, it's obviously a blog. People are making what are obviously blog posts and other people are discussing them in the comments.
My research team does this at work.  There are 6 of us, and each person posts to the blog when some incremental progress on various project has been made.  The others then comment if they feel so inclined.  There are an average of 3 actual posts per day, usually with a couple charts, SEM photographs, apparatus snapshots or whatever and a couple paragraphs of explanatory text and conclusions/questions.  It beats the hell out of more meetings, and makes it easier to document what's going on as opposed to writing a memo/report once a week to the boss and droning on for hours in a Monday meeting.  We still have group meetings, but its more about what we're planning to do next.  We also still write the reports, but the in-progress analysis posted on the blog makes the chore much less onerous.  I think its a dandy development (doing it was also my idea, so I might be biased).
Not so successful at this point is our group wiki.  It only tends to get worked on when the boss flogs us.
Title: Re: Happy Birthday Mr. Dempsey, where ever you are.
Post by: iron_felix on April 29, 2008, 10:54:09 am
So, if a thread goes off-topic in a forest Jough isn't around to read it, is it still his birthday?

I am hoping the answer is yes.
Happy belated birthday, dude.
Title: Re: Happy Birthday Mr. Dempsey, where ever you are.
Post by: pmcd9 on May 01, 2008, 06:25:44 am
Fuck that guy.

Seriously though, Jough spends more time at flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jough/) these days.

If you want to wish him a happy birthday you should probably do it there.
Title: Re: Happy Birthday Mr. Dempsey, where ever you are.
Post by: side_show on May 11, 2008, 03:03:20 pm
A-cap - did you mean to start a new thread?  I'm confused.
Title: Re: Happy Birthday Mr. Dempsey, where ever you are.
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on May 11, 2008, 03:27:46 pm
Wrong board, my boo
Title: Re: Happy Birthday Mr. Dempsey, where ever you are.
Post by: jough on May 28, 2008, 01:34:48 pm
Thanks for the birthday well-wishes.

I've been okay, just busy as fuck.

I do the @jough (http://twitter.com/jough) Twitter thing a lot, since I can post from my iPhone.

There's just too much traffic here for me to keep up anymore, so I just tend to let it go for a while and then dip in and read a few threads here and there.  Plus, I only read Achewood maybe once a month, which is like reading the archives.  The timing is better that way usually anyway.  Plus, I've been kinda unimpressed with the strip for the past... six months or so.  I mostly read it whenever I'm out of other good content.

I don't post comments to many tech blogs either, so it's not like I'm spending all of my time elsewhere.  I just have one of those jobs where I pretty much just WORK (or maybe shoot the shit with coworkers if I'm not actually working) all day so I don't really surf the web or read message boards when I'm there, and when I get home I tend to either watch a movie, go out to some other event or function, or um, do more coding on a side-project.

I try not to be a workaholic, but I also kinda am doing what I love to do for a living (after a fashion).

My birthday was pretty awesome.  I have a video of me singing "Don't Stop Believin'" at karaoke, but I haven't posted it to my YouTube channel yet.