The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: wombat on April 30, 2008, 12:17:30 pm

Title: April 30 2008 - Is this a... Friends' Arrest?
Post by: wombat on April 30, 2008, 12:17:30 pm
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=04302008 (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=04302008)

I like this thread title, but I am confused about the placement of the apostrophe.

Note: Sometimes that is the correct way to choose a font, you know?
Title: Re: April 30 2008 - Is this a... Friends' Arrest?
Post by: CortJstr on April 30, 2008, 01:01:49 pm
I was expecting something more like a drawing of your preferred professional sports team's logo.
Title: Re: April 30 2008 - Is this a... Friends' Arrest?
Post by: Gimpson on April 30, 2008, 01:32:55 pm
Is my preference for a 4-cell D Maglite a sign of...  inadequacy issues?
Title: Re: April 30 2008 - Is this a... Friends' Arrest?
Post by: CortJstr on April 30, 2008, 01:57:19 pm
I don't know, do you need more than 2.5oz of water in your under##### extension?
Title: Re: April 30 2008 - Is this a... Friends' Arrest?
Post by: Doc on April 30, 2008, 02:22:17 pm
Wombat's right about the apostrophe.
Title: Re: April 30 2008 - Is this a... Friends' Arrest?
Post by: littlefallsmets on April 30, 2008, 03:43:53 pm
It is a sign that you want that which illuminates your life to also be a blunt weapon, in a pinch.

A lot of people feel this way. It is basically why the Middle East isn't awesome.
Title: Re: April 30 2008 - Is this a... Friends' Arrest?
Post by: jay-ell on April 30, 2008, 04:37:59 pm
RB's font-choosing method is exactly how I choose a font. 
Title: Re: April 30 2008 - Is this a... Friends' Arrest?
Post by: CortJstr on April 30, 2008, 05:18:02 pm
I pick Arial or Comic Sans. But I print out a copy of my document in Helvetica also, just so I can piss on it. Just to make graphic designers cry.
Title: Re: April 30 2008 - Is this a... Friends' Arrest?
Post by: hammish on April 30, 2008, 09:31:04 pm
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=04302008 (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=04302008)

I like this thread title, but I am confused about the placement of the apostrophe.


I think this is the correct apostrophe placement to indicate the possessive for a plural noun which ends in s:
http://www.meredith.edu/grammar/plural.htm#Plural%20possessive

However, I'm not certain Ray is concerned about being arrested by more than one friend. It is puzzling.
Title: Re: April 30 2008 - Is this a... Friends' Arrest?
Post by: wombat on April 30, 2008, 09:34:37 pm
However, I'm not certain Ray is concerned about being arrested by more than one friend. It is puzzling.

Yes, this is the part that is the problem.

It is presumably analogous to citizen's arrest - is that supposed to be citizens' arrest? Doesn't make sense to me.
Title: Re: April 30 2008 - Is this a... Friends' Arrest?
Post by: jay-ell on April 30, 2008, 09:35:05 pm
I was going to make something up to explain why the apostrophe placement is correct, but...

I got nothin'. 

Sorry.  I'm coming down with a cold, and the best I can do is tell you about the jokes I would have made if I only had the brainpower to make them. 

Sorry. 

Sorry. 
Title: Re: April 30 2008 - Is this a... Friends' Arrest?
Post by: hammish on April 30, 2008, 09:44:57 pm
the best I can do is tell you about the jokes I would have made if I only had the brainpower to make them. 

Had you made them, my laughter would have commenced with a poorly-stifled chortle, followed by a wheezing haw as the full brunt of the humor settled on me. Little aftershocks of nuance would punctuate the descending trail of hehs with a staccato pattern suggesting, but not achieving, a titter.
Title: Re: April 30 2008 - Is this a... Friends' Arrest?
Post by: Pedro Picasso on April 30, 2008, 10:04:05 pm
I was going to make something up to explain why the apostrophe placement is correct, but...

Pinch-hitting: A citizen's arrest is what one citizen does to another.  A friends' arrest is an experience they can share.

A cardiac arrest is when a woman detains your heart... and holds it for questioning.
Title: Re: April 30 2008 - Is this a... Friends' Arrest?
Post by: jay-ell on April 30, 2008, 10:09:47 pm
Had you made them, my laughter would have commenced with a poorly-stifled chortle, followed by a wheezing haw as the full brunt of the humor settled on me. Little aftershocks of nuance would punctuate the descending trail of hehs with a staccato pattern suggesting, but not achieving, a titter.

Had you laughed so at my joke, unmade, I would have missed the opportunity to give you this tiny can.  So I guess everybody wins. 

Pinch-hitting: A citizen's arrest is what one citizen does to another.  A friends' arrest is an experience they can share.

A cardiac arrest is when a woman detains your heart... and holds it for questioning.

You'll always be my P2, dear. 
Title: Re: April 30 2008 - Is this a... Friends' Arrest?
Post by: Pedro Picasso on May 01, 2008, 03:03:49 pm
Is my preference for a 4-cell D Maglite a sign of...  inadequacy issues?

Gimpson, it's been a while.  (for me at least.)  Good to see you.  Did you know your avatar looks a bit like Jesse Dangerously (http://dangerously.ca)?
Title: Re: April 30 2008 - Is this a... Friends' Arrest?
Post by: Gimpson on May 01, 2008, 05:25:30 pm
Gimpson, it's been a while.  (for me at least.)  Good to see you.  Did you know your avatar looks a bit like Jesse Dangerously (http://dangerously.ca)?

I was not aware that I could pass for a Nerdcore recording artist, but this knowledge kind of makes me happy. 
Title: Re: April 30 2008 - Is this a... Friends' Arrest?
Post by: jaydub on May 01, 2008, 06:03:55 pm
Is that you at a Packer's game?
Title: Re: April 30 2008 - Is this a... Friends' Arrest?
Post by: Gimpson on May 01, 2008, 07:46:59 pm
Is that you at a Packer's game?

Yes, this year's NFC Championship game.  Ugh.  I was unhappy, and my wife was upstairs in the heated atrium.