The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: jay-ell on April 30, 2008, 10:19:12 pm

Title: Legalize Ghost Bikes
Post by: jay-ell on April 30, 2008, 10:19:12 pm
http://www.ghostbike.org/ (http://www.ghostbike.org/)

Thank you, BoingBoing. 
Title: Re: Legalize Ghost Bikes
Post by: smick on May 01, 2008, 04:50:17 pm
I see them from time to time here in Portland.

The last one was where a young woman was hit by a cement truck that took a right turn when she was going straight.

These things never fail to give me the heebie-jeebies. 

I always mirror-signal-headcheck when turning right now.
Title: Re: Legalize Ghost Bikes
Post by: jaydub on May 01, 2008, 05:59:00 pm
That's a really great idea.  I could do something with the rusting hulk darkening my backyard.  There are certainly no shortage of bike/car fatalities in my neighborhood.  There was a lot of talk recently around here  because a sleep deprived cop ran down three cyclists (killing one) who were participating in a contest.
Title: Re: Legalize Ghost Bikes
Post by: colmore on May 02, 2008, 11:49:37 am
I'm pretty good friends with one of the main organizers of this in New York City, which has something of a killing cyclists problem.  I have a degenerative eye condition that has pretty well wiped out my peripheral vision, so I don't cycle, but I fear for my friends' lives.  Someone I know is talking about becoming a bike messenger and I'm like, you know, medical testing might be a safer way to risk your life for corporate america.
Title: Re: Legalize Ghost Bikes
Post by: lprkn on May 02, 2008, 02:37:42 pm
All the same, there are a lot of bike riders out there that ride unsafely. Obviously, every death is a tragedy but I think that a little more awareness all around would be a good thing. These ghost bikes can really help with that.
Title: Re: Legalize Ghost Bikes
Post by: jaydub on May 02, 2008, 05:58:54 pm
San Francisco (the city itself, especially) has an epidemic problem with red-light runners.  As in - three full seconds after the light goes red someone will go flying through the intersection at top speed.  This despite several pedestrian and cyclist fatalities.  I have no idea what those people are thinking.  Anytime I'm crossing a street there, I pause a good few seconds after I get the light before I start across.  Even better if I'm screened by cars from cross-traffic (although I've seen some clips of pedestrians getting nailed by debris from intersection collisions between cars!).
Title: Re: Legalize Ghost Bikes
Post by: lprkn on May 02, 2008, 08:09:22 pm
Maybe they're like, "Well, I already live in San Francisco, why should I start following social conventions now?



Disclaimer: I used to live in the Bay Area and have been to San Francisco. It's a nice place.
Title: Re: Legalize Ghost Bikes
Post by: Death Ray on May 03, 2008, 08:00:01 pm
Wait...they're not legal?

(http://www.whatisdeepfried.com/MEDIA/ghostbike.jpg)


Those Cheezburgers are getting a lot of people into trouble!