The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: HudsonVC on May 02, 2008, 06:50:45 am

Title: May 2, 2008 - What's cookin' and what's for sale
Post by: HudsonVC on May 02, 2008, 06:50:45 am
Another comic stuffed with alternate thread titles (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=05022008), including:


Title: Re: May 2, 2008 - What's cookin' and what's for sale
Post by: pmcd9 on May 02, 2008, 07:18:00 am
So is Beef a millionaire too now?
Title: Re: May 2, 2008 - What's cookin' and what's for sale
Post by: theinevitable on May 02, 2008, 08:02:21 am
When I wear my friend's really good glasses, I imagine that one day I will have a not-too-similar pair and they will be my trademark glasses.

Have I mentioned how lately, it seems like the things I thought were cool when I was 10 are actually cool? Next stop: glasses that my mother thinks are too big.
Title: Re: May 2, 2008 - What's cookin' and what's for sale
Post by: CortJstr on May 02, 2008, 12:43:09 pm
I hope Ray's sex team works out, just so we won't have to witness him getting blown by Teodor again.

Today's alt-text is basically like treasure.

tI, please don't tell me you like those giant bug-eye sun glasses that are popular with ladies of no taste right now. I cannot wait until those hideous things go the way of furry boots, big hair, and cowl-neck sweaters.
Title: Re: May 2, 2008 - What's cookin' and what's for sale
Post by: wombat on May 02, 2008, 12:58:44 pm
It is nice that Chris is worried about Google. Hardly anyone worries about how hard poor Google works.

Title: Re: May 2, 2008 - What's cookin' and what's for sale
Post by: washort on May 02, 2008, 01:41:30 pm
Those headphones don't look like they're placed very well.
Title: Re: May 2, 2008 - What's cookin' and what's for sale
Post by: lprkn on May 02, 2008, 02:34:25 pm
tI, please don't tell me you like those giant bug-eye sun glasses that are popular with ladies of no taste right now. I cannot wait until those hideous things go the way of furry boots, big hair, and cowl-neck sweaters.

A couple of years ago I went to a few high school athletic events because my little brother was competing in them. Those glasses are basically part of the uniform for any Americacn girl between the ages of 13 and 22. They disgust me, I can't stand it when people who want to look like Lindsay Lohan.

Apparently, they are called Onassis glasses (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunglasses#Onassis_glasses), according to Wikipedia.
Title: Re: May 2, 2008 - What's cookin' and what's for sale
Post by: lprkn on May 02, 2008, 03:09:34 pm
I mean, it would be cool if only a few people wore them, because then I would think that they just wore them because they like them, but they just wear them because all of the other stupid spoiled whores do.

(No offense to the stupid spoiled whores out there)
Title: Re: May 2, 2008 - What's cookin' and what's for sale
Post by: JorgeFabregas on May 02, 2008, 03:16:33 pm
People get a little too indignant about fashion.
Title: Re: May 2, 2008 - What's cookin' and what's for sale
Post by: littlefallsmets on May 02, 2008, 03:27:42 pm
Y'know, though, it'd be kind of interesting if someone DID take offense, Lpr.

I've always wanted to know if there's a Stupid Spoiled Whores Defense Fund.

I assume that TMZ has to funnel 5% of their gross income into it, for legal reasons.
Title: Re: May 2, 2008 - What's cookin' and what's for sale
Post by: jaydub on May 02, 2008, 06:05:18 pm
Anytime I see someone wearing those, I wonder if she's covering up the bruises her boyfriend gave her.
Title: Re: May 2, 2008 - What's cookin' and what's for sale
Post by: CortJstr on May 02, 2008, 06:35:16 pm
People, it's not hard. When purchasing an item of clothing ask yourself, "if in 15 years I find a picture of myself wearing this item will I be embarrassed?" If the answer is yes then don't buy it.
Title: Re: May 2, 2008 - What's cookin' and what's for sale
Post by: Ruta Bagas on May 02, 2008, 07:32:17 pm
Half of my clothes purchases I'd be embarrassed of within fifteen minutes.

But then half of my clothes purchases are fancy-dress, so I suppose that's different.

(Please note that the halves do not overlap perfectly.)
Title: Re: May 2, 2008 - What's cookin' and what's for sale
Post by: theinevitable on May 02, 2008, 07:32:45 pm
no, no, NO. Not those at all.

you know how the style for a while now is like, the smaller version of buddy holly-style glasses?
think those, but slightly bigger. Not Buddy Holly-sized, just a little bigger.

Kind of like these, but glasses instead of sunglasses. (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2d/RayBanWayfarer.jpg)

as a kid I always wanted REALLY HORRIBLY BIG GLASSES (http://viperboy43.tripod.com/pics/otherpics/chris4th.jpg) and now I can finally justify it by the existence of people like my friend here (http://photos-f.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sctm/v217/76/29/508092539/n508092539_715837_7128.jpg) who have rad glasses that are bigger than the ones I have now. (http://photos-252.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v151/144/47/1401570252/n1401570252_30164451_6180.jpg)

Also, my current glasses have gotten twisted up so horribly over the 3 or so years I've had them that they no longer stay on my face the right way and slide down my nose. Also, they always look crooked.

I think a lot about things like this. Lately I am trying to do it less.
Title: Re: May 2, 2008 - What's cookin' and what's for sale
Post by: Ruta Bagas on May 02, 2008, 07:42:40 pm
My girlfriend is soon to be taking delivery of a pair of Armani glasses.

I intend to wind her up about them relentlessly.

Is that wrong of me?
Title: Re: May 2, 2008 - What's cookin' and what's for sale
Post by: lprkn on May 02, 2008, 08:06:27 pm
Exactly, I mean, there are reasons that some items of clothing and accessories are "classic." Ray-Bans have been around forever, nobody should be embarrassed to wear Ray-Bans. Now if only JFK hadn't seen fit to go without the traditional top hat at his inauguration, we (men) might all still be wearing fedoras.
Title: Re: May 2, 2008 - What's cookin' and what's for sale
Post by: theinevitable on May 02, 2008, 08:20:25 pm
I have heard that that story about JFK is a lie.

I don't know about Fedoras, I have always liked the trilby (http://g-ec2.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/music/Frank_Sinatra_3.jpg)
Title: Re: May 2, 2008 - What's cookin' and what's for sale
Post by: Drygioni on May 02, 2008, 09:05:02 pm
Thinking about Ray's ring tone for Beef and what it might be expressing is a nice undercurrent for the strip.

Wow, didn't make that connection. Nice!
Title: Re: May 2, 2008 - What's cookin' and what's for sale
Post by: Ben-San on May 02, 2008, 10:23:14 pm
I am highly in favor of hats for men. The trilby is quite nice although my hat of choice is the beret.
Title: Re: May 2, 2008 - What's cookin' and what's for sale
Post by: jaydub on May 02, 2008, 10:33:08 pm
no, no, NO. Not those at all.

you know how the style for a while now is like, the smaller version of buddy holly-style glasses?
think those, but slightly bigger. Not Buddy Holly-sized, just a little bigger.


Ah.  So, not these:
(http://www.trendhunter.com/images/phpthumbnails/10813_5_230.jpeg)

Or these:
(http://www.elleuk.com/var/elleuk/storage/images/fashion/need-to-know/oliver-goldsmith/1784150-1-eng-GB/oliver_goldsmith_minceur_star_home.jpg)

Or, God forbid, these:
(http://img2.timeinc.net/instyle/images/2006/galleries/032306_240x240_white.jpg)

Even Hepburn couldn't pull that look off, IMO.
Title: Re: May 2, 2008 - What's cookin' and what's for sale
Post by: theinevitable on May 02, 2008, 11:05:18 pm
um, the girl in the middle picture pulls off those sunglasses pretty damn well.
Title: Re: May 2, 2008 - What's cookin' and what's for sale
Post by: theinevitable on May 02, 2008, 11:47:18 pm
no way, they look rad as heck.
Title: Re: May 2, 2008 - What's cookin' and what's for sale
Post by: Drygioni on May 02, 2008, 11:47:50 pm
There is not a single redeeming feature about anybody who has worn, touched or seen those big sunglasses.
Title: Re: May 2, 2008 - What's cookin' and what's for sale
Post by: littlefallsmets on May 03, 2008, 01:50:49 am
John Lennon kind of gets a pass because he was clearly doing it with a sense of irony.

Elton John, well, it is just a fetish for him and who am I to judge?
Title: Re: May 2, 2008 - What's cookin' and what's for sale
Post by: Doc on May 03, 2008, 03:00:56 am
um, the girl in the middle picture pulls off those sunglasses pretty damn well.

Come on man, no way. Look at those lips, there's more plastic in her than the sunnies. Besides which she looks like she's concussed and the glasses just make her look like she's got her eyes wide open and is all surpised.
Title: Re: May 2, 2008 - What's cookin' and what's for sale
Post by: pmcd9 on May 03, 2008, 03:50:07 am
Dang, those big ol glasses are hott.  I even saw a dude wearing a pair the other day and I thought it was hott.
Title: Re: May 2, 2008 - What's cookin' and what's for sale
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on May 03, 2008, 04:01:29 am
Doc, are you not into ladies? Cause that chick is a pretty fine specimen. Maybe you hang with chicks that have ultra thin lips, but hers are pretty natural and I see no evidence of concussion. I think those sunglasses are a pretty OK fashion trend.
Title: Re: May 2, 2008 - What's cookin' and what's for sale
Post by: pmcd9 on May 03, 2008, 04:17:55 am
Those Big ol Glasses are Hott (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/2460202675/)
Title: Re: May 2, 2008 - What's cookin' and what's for sale
Post by: Doc on May 03, 2008, 05:49:39 am
Doc, are you not into ladies? Cause that chick is a pretty fine specimen. Maybe you hang with chicks that have ultra thin lips, but hers are pretty natural and I see no evidence of concussion. I think those sunglasses are a pretty OK fashion trend.

If you put a stethoscope to that girl's head you would hear a faint buzzing sound as of a fly trapped in a jar.
I prefer my women not to wear an expression of continual suprise at the world's existence.
Title: Re: May 2, 2008 - What's cookin' and what's for sale
Post by: Toaster on May 03, 2008, 06:28:34 am
What is a sex team and how does it work? I'd like to start one. You know, just for fun.
Title: Re: May 2, 2008 - What's cookin' and what's for sale
Post by: Doc on May 03, 2008, 06:57:18 am
What is a sex team and how does it work? I'd like to start one. You know, just for fun.
... but we'll see where it goes.
Title: Re: May 2, 2008 - What's cookin' and what's for sale
Post by: lprkn on May 03, 2008, 07:06:26 am
A desire for fun is all you need, no matter what those hippies say about love.
Title: Re: May 2, 2008 - What's cookin' and what's for sale
Post by: Ruta Bagas on May 03, 2008, 08:54:02 am
Those glasses look like they came out of a Christmas cracker.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. Christmas crackers are awesome.

some of my best friends came out of christmas crackers
Title: Re: May 2, 2008 - What's cookin' and what's for sale
Post by: Drygioni on May 03, 2008, 02:41:42 pm
If you put a stethoscope to that girl's head you would hear a faint buzzing sound as of a fly trapped in a jar.
I prefer my women not to wear an expression of continual suprise at the world's existence.

How does this go again.

Ah yeah

DING DING DING
Title: Re: May 2, 2008 - What's cookin' and what's for sale
Post by: theinevitable on May 03, 2008, 02:52:54 pm
but, she's not making that face at all.

Also, I don't see how her brain content has anything to do with how goddamn good she looks? She looks good. Are we judging people's brains based on their looks now?
Title: Re: May 2, 2008 - What's cookin' and what's for sale
Post by: Drygioni on May 03, 2008, 04:41:23 pm
but, she's not making that face at all.

Also, I don't see how her brain content has anything to do with how goddamn good she looks? She looks good. Are we judging people's brains based on their looks now?

Well I agree, she looks good, despite the glasses, but that does not necessarily make me attracted to her, if you understand?

I think a big part of the problem with those glasses is that I associate them with silly fashion obsessed girls my age, and that is hard to shake off.
Title: Re: May 2, 2008 - What's cookin' and what's for sale
Post by: ananke on May 03, 2008, 06:38:51 pm
Even though that lady in the middle looks like just a screaming clear area with a wig on and a large middle where smells come from, I must admit she (and probably she alone) pulls off those large sunglasses well. Although it's probably just the camera playing tricks on the eyes, and if I saw her standing in line at Starbucks looking bored I'd probably begin accumulating mega ill feelings toward her.
Title: Re: May 2, 2008 - What's cookin' and what's for sale
Post by: Doc on May 04, 2008, 01:25:05 am
I think a big part of the problem with those glasses is that I associate them with silly fashion obsessed girls my age, and that is hard to shake off.

I guess this is basically it. I judged someone purely on their appearance, you got me.

I can admit that she does pull off that look, it's probably that I'm not attracted to that look.
At all.
Ever.
Title: Re: May 2, 2008 - What's cookin' and what's for sale
Post by: Drygioni on May 05, 2008, 11:24:31 am
Those Big ol Glasses are Hott (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/2460202675/)

Can't believe I missed this.

That is one hell of a look.
Title: Re: May 2, 2008 - What's cookin' and what's for sale
Post by: Doc on May 05, 2008, 11:30:56 am
Well ok sure, Paul makes it look hot.
But that doesn't excuse it.