The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Arachno-capitalist on May 06, 2008, 07:33:57 am

Title: 6 May 2008 - Our Marriage Is Like A Dead Dog
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on May 06, 2008, 07:33:57 am
The county will get rid of it. http://achewood.com/index.php?date=05062008 (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=05062008)

Beef is gaining some serious muscle tone from this furious typing thing he is doing.
Title: Re: 6 May 2008 - Our Marriage Is Like A Dead Dog
Post by: Doc on May 06, 2008, 07:50:05 am
Oh man, Onstad just couldn't let Beef and Molly be happy.

Actually I'm supposed to hate Molly so I guess this works for me.
Title: Re: 6 May 2008 - Our Marriage Is Like A Dead Dog
Post by: wombat on May 06, 2008, 12:44:27 pm
As I have already said elsewhere today:

Nooooooo!
Title: Re: 6 May 2008 - Our Marriage Is Like A Dead Dog
Post by: CortJstr on May 06, 2008, 12:52:19 pm
Dancing with the Stars? Really? I didn't watch it when Stacy Kiebler was on so I certainly ain't gonna watch it now.

Correct thread title: Aaaaaaah Moths. There's a moth in our apartment and it keeps freaking me right the hell out.
Title: Re: 6 May 2008 - Our Marriage Is Like A Dead Dog
Post by: jaydub on May 06, 2008, 02:23:06 pm
Alternate title: Can I Freshen Your Chivas?  Since Onstad's foreshadowing with a 6lb mallet today.
Title: Re: 6 May 2008 - Our Marriage Is Like A Dead Dog
Post by: colmore on May 06, 2008, 02:28:54 pm
So remember how in Six Feet Under they'd always start doing something shocking and out of character, confusing the hell out of you, and then jump back to reality -- only to immitate the trick later to convince you what you're seeing can't be possible?

So, has Beef just rocketed to fame and fortune and bought Circus c*ck' plane, or is this him imagining that fame and fortune?

Has Chris realized that his characters are fine and development and continuity are refuges for the weak?  Or does he just want to have the leadup to the wedding not just be Beef and Ray drinking beer and getting philosophical.

And I like Molly.
Title: Re: 6 May 2008 - Our Marriage Is Like A Dead Dog
Post by: smick on May 06, 2008, 02:51:11 pm
Last summer we had an infestation of pantry moths.

Eventually the culprit was found.  A bag of sunflower seeds in the very back of the cabinet.  The bag no longer contained sunflower seeds, but rather the husks of a million pupae.  Someone had shelled the moths and replaced the seeds with their leavings.

As I was cleaning out the cabinet, I grabbed this bag, and didn't recognize what I was looking at.  Then suddenly:

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH MOTHS
Inside:
AHHHHHHHHHH

Title: Re: 6 May 2008 - Our Marriage Is Like A Dead Dog
Post by: Ruta Bagas on May 06, 2008, 04:16:27 pm
I once had a trick box that could be used to make an object appear or disappear. I caught a moth in it.

It was a horrible trick and I was very sorry for it.
Title: Re: 6 May 2008 - Our Marriage Is Like A Dead Dog
Post by: colmore on May 06, 2008, 04:44:53 pm
I have a vivid memory from early childhood of opening a box of crackerjacks and finding dozens of dead moths.

Amazingly, this didn't turn me off of crackerjacks, even though it still makes my skin crawl 20 years later.
Title: Re: 6 May 2008 - Our Marriage Is Like A Dead Dog
Post by: lprkn on May 06, 2008, 05:07:52 pm
So remember how in Six Feet Under they'd always start doing something shocking and out of character, confusing the hell out of you, and then jump back to reality -- only to immitate the trick later to convince you what you're seeing can't be possible?

This strip is so Six Feet Under for me, all yelling at the TV screen, "No, don't do it, this isn't what you want! You just think you do, you short-sighted bastard!"
Title: Re: 6 May 2008 - Our Marriage Is Like A Dead Dog
Post by: jaydub on May 06, 2008, 05:17:18 pm
Adult moths don't bother me.  Their babies, on the other hand:
(http://www.hcs.ohio-state.edu/images/cd0006/404/cd0006-292.jpeg)

The stuff of nightmares.  Bleah.  One of my favourite undergrad labs was growing and purifying baculovirus - which results in "caterpillar ebola" when the corpse liquifies.

Edit:  Not my hand!
Title: Re: 6 May 2008 - Our Marriage Is Like A Dead Dog
Post by: Dexter on May 06, 2008, 09:32:15 pm
Adult moths don't bother me.  Their babies, on the other hand:
[terrible, terrible image deleted]

The stuff of nightmares.  Bleah.  One of my favourite undergrad labs was growing and purifying baculovirus - which results in "caterpillar ebola" when the corpse liquifies.

Edit:  Not my hand!
It was only through sheer force of will that I was able to not begin hyperventilating at the mere thought of being in the same room as one (or more!) of those things, let alone having one (or more!) crawling on me.
Title: Re: 6 May 2008 - Our Marriage Is Like A Dead Dog
Post by: wombat on May 06, 2008, 09:34:57 pm
Um, I thought they were kind of pretty...
Title: Re: 6 May 2008 - Our Marriage Is Like A Dead Dog
Post by: jay-ell on May 06, 2008, 09:45:11 pm
Me too, Wombat.  You're not alone. 
Title: Re: 6 May 2008 - Our Marriage Is Like A Dead Dog
Post by: jaydub on May 07, 2008, 12:44:15 am
The problem, Ash, is that they're so damn juicy that they would rear up and laugh at your inferno for an alarmingly long time.  Then smolder and think vengeful thoughts like curling up next to your neck when you sleep - feet all hooked into your pajamas.
Title: Re: 6 May 2008 - Our Marriage Is Like A Dead Dog
Post by: AugustWest on May 07, 2008, 01:41:45 am
They're even weirder looking when they get the hundreds of white egg things growing off their back.

edit Apparently, those are brachonid wasps.  Mmmmmm.  Tasty. (http://www.dpughphoto.com/images/tobacco%20hornworm%20durham.JPG)
Title: Re: 6 May 2008 - Our Marriage Is Like A Dead Dog
Post by: Dullscythe on May 07, 2008, 05:44:29 am
Well. I was not the least bit freaked out by moths until now.

Thanks a lot, guys.

P.S.
(http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/1189/atlasmothvv4.jpg)
Title: Re: 6 May 2008 - Our Marriage Is Like A Dead Dog
Post by: jaydub on May 07, 2008, 02:38:17 pm
Me too, Wombat.  You're not alone. 
Bein' as you live in tobacco country, you probably see a fair number of these critters (they also like tomatoes, peppers, and eggplants).
Title: Re: 6 May 2008 - Our Marriage Is Like A Dead Dog
Post by: jay-ell on May 07, 2008, 02:57:31 pm
Yes, because I spend so much time in outdoors, in the hundred-degree heat with 98% humidity, lovingly tending to my tobacco, tomato, pepper, and eggplant crops here in the idyllic pastures of my state capital. 

That's why I don't have time to reply to messages on this board mere minutes after they've been posted.  Because I spend all my time outside.  With nature. 

Hah. 
Title: Re: 6 May 2008 - Our Marriage Is Like A Dead Dog
Post by: Dexter on May 07, 2008, 03:09:09 pm
P.S.
(http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/1189/atlasmothvv4.jpg)

(http://i25.tinypic.com/o6bqt5.png)
Title: Re: 6 May 2008 - Our Marriage Is Like A Dead Dog
Post by: jaydub on May 07, 2008, 04:43:42 pm
Yes, because I spend so much time in outdoors, in the hundred-degree heat with 98% humidity, lovingly tending to my tobacco, tomato, pepper, and eggplant crops here in the idyllic pastures of my state capital. 
See, now that's totally the image I had, all tousle-haired moppets tumbling at your feet, wearing a sundress1, and occasionally sipping from a glass next to an icy pitcher of sweet tea shaded by the spreading arms of an elm tree.

1You're wearing the dress, not the moppets
Title: Re: 6 May 2008 - Our Marriage Is Like A Dead Dog
Post by: jay-ell on May 07, 2008, 05:31:09 pm
Just as I was about to reply to this, I spilled a whole plate of leftover chicken into my lap as I tried to eat on the couch while reading this board on my laptop.  I had to go change my clothes, which isn't that big a deal since I was still in my pajamas (at 1:30 in the afternoon).  Then I had to scrub stove top stuffing out of my carpet, because I accidentally stepped on it as I was leaving the room.  I'm just glad I didn't knock over my room-temperature Diet Coke in the process.  The whole time this was going on, my infant daughter was lying on the floor watching television. 

That's a somewhat different picture, no? 
Title: Re: 6 May 2008 - Our Marriage Is Like A Dead Dog
Post by: theinevitable on May 07, 2008, 05:48:22 pm
JL, you are such a disappointment to our Yankee pals. Try to be either a lot more squalid (trailer, meth, thong underwear peeking out of low-rise-jeans and soon you are getting mad rutty, etc) or more old-fashioned (verandah, sweet tea, mint juleps, sun-dress, etc.)

If you want that, jaydub, come visit me in charlotte and I will introduce you to some of my really old-fashioned-rich-and-southern female friends.
Title: Re: 6 May 2008 - Our Marriage Is Like A Dead Dog
Post by: jay-ell on May 07, 2008, 05:50:57 pm
You can take the girl out of the midwest, but you can't take the midwest out of this girl.

Sorry, folks.  Ohio born and bred, no getting around it. 

I do like sweet tea, though. 

Tell me more about the PJ's and the texture of the stuffing against your toes...

Was this meant to sound like an obscene phone call? 
Title: Re: 6 May 2008 - Our Marriage Is Like A Dead Dog
Post by: lprkn on May 07, 2008, 09:44:40 pm
Ash is just creepin' all over the place.
Title: Re: 6 May 2008 - Our Marriage Is Like A Dead Dog
Post by: CortJstr on May 07, 2008, 10:05:20 pm
I want to make sure I'm in her (and all youse'es) next TOUAMBie flavoured dream.

In a good or bad way is irrelevant to me.

::lick::

You have no idea how difficult it was for me not to add [edit: throbbing] to that post.
Title: Re: 6 May 2008 - Our Marriage Is Like A Dead Dog
Post by: jay-ell on May 07, 2008, 11:44:26 pm
I want to make sure I'm in her (and all youse'es) next TOUAMBie flavoured dream.

Sorry, my subconscious doesn't take requests. 
Title: Re: 6 May 2008 - Our Marriage Is Like A Dead Dog
Post by: Golfhaus on May 07, 2008, 11:54:25 pm
If you want that, jaydub, come visit me in charlotte and I will introduce you to some of my really old-fashioned-rich-and-southern female friends.

Ey! Over here!
Title: Re: 6 May 2008 - Our Marriage Is Like A Dead Dog
Post by: theinevitable on May 08, 2008, 12:29:34 am
"hey, Katherine, may I present... golfhaus. I know him from the internet."

They would not go for it, sorry. We should hang out at least once while I am home, though? I get home tomorrow.