The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: CortJstr on May 06, 2008, 05:45:26 pm

Title: Help me remember game titles
Post by: CortJstr on May 06, 2008, 05:45:26 pm
I've been trying to remember the names of these two old games from my childhood. Specifically the era now referred to by historians as "The Day."

I remember very little about each one and my Google-fu has failed me so I turn to TOUAMB for help.

Game 1: My friend has this game for DOS. We played it at about the same time that we had shareware versions of Castle Wolfenstein 3D and Duke Nukem, so 92-93ish. It was a Street Fighter type game where most of the characters were alien/monster types. If I were to equate the graphics to a main-stream game I'd say Contra.

The only character I remember distinctly was essentially a big blob of fat with arms and legs. His face was in his stomach and his special moves were sticking out his giant tongue and rolling at the other player.


Game 2: I had this for my Commodore 128/64. The player is a time-traveling gnome (complete with pointy hat, I think). You could shoot lighting out of your hands at a 45 degree angle and holding down the fire button would take you to like an extra-dimensional storage area, since you could only hold 1 item at at time).

It was an adventure game. You had to solve puzzles in each time-period to find items you could take to other times to solve puzzles there. I remember the gnome's house (where you had to put a log in the fire place, then shoot it with your lightening to catch fire), Salem, and Ancient Greece.


Edit: apparently Game 2 is Time Tunnel. I searched the crap out of this a few weeks ago then suddenly it turned up immediately right after I posted this. The hell?
Title: Re: Help me remember game titles
Post by: lprkn on May 06, 2008, 05:51:29 pm
There is Google, and then there is Cort. If both have failed, then what chance do I have?
Title: Re: Help me remember game titles
Post by: side_show on May 06, 2008, 07:21:11 pm
Dude,

I have played game one.  I can't remember much of it at all though.  I will ask the SO when he comes home, because he knows this stuff.
Title: Re: Help me remember game titles
Post by: Pedro Picasso on May 06, 2008, 09:00:13 pm
Likely contender:
Battle Wrath (http://abandonia.com/en/games/899/Battle+Wrath.html)

Unlikely contenders:
One Must Fall (http://abandonia.com/en/games/94/One+Must+Fall+2097.html)
Overkill (http://abandonia.com/en/games/23457/Overkill.html)
Theatre of Pain (http://abandonia.com/en/games/23437/Theatre+of+Pain.html)

I hope it's battle wrath.  Anyway, Abandonia.com is pretty cool.
Title: Re: Help me remember game titles
Post by: CortJstr on May 06, 2008, 11:17:13 pm
Dang Pedro did some research.

Unfortunately those games all have graphics that are way too good advanced and came out too late. I'd say '96 is the upper bound but '94 is probably more realistic. This was definitely a very 8-bit looking DOS game.
Title: Re: Help me remember game titles
Post by: side_show on May 09, 2008, 09:23:44 pm
Damn, I remember that character so well - he was fleshy coloured and his face was on his chest, with a squarish shoulder/top of head, right Cort?  And I think he also punched?  And maybe wore red shorts?  Damn.  I rented this game from the local tire store (which also rented VHS, BETA, etc) when I was a kid.  I will ask the SO tonight, I bet he knows it right away.
Title: Re: Help me remember game titles
Post by: Golfhaus on May 10, 2008, 12:06:15 am
Can't help, I'm afraid - when I think "fleshy colored, face on chest" all I can think of is Strong Mad.
Title: Re: Help me remember game titles
Post by: Doc on May 10, 2008, 12:13:20 am
Damnit Ash, your esperanto posts are just getting more and more confusing.
Title: Re: Help me remember game titles
Post by: CortJstr on May 10, 2008, 12:14:13 am
Damn, I remember that character so well - he was fleshy coloured and his face was on his chest, with a squarish shoulder/top of head, right Cort?  And I think he also punched?  And maybe wore red shorts?  Damn.  I rented this game from the local tire store (which also rented VHS, BETA, etc) when I was a kid.  I will ask the SO tonight, I bet he knows it right away.

Exactly. I think he may have been the big-bad in single-player mode but you could play as anybody in two-player. If there was a single player mode. I only ever played with my friend John.
Title: Re: Help me remember game titles
Post by: side_show on May 10, 2008, 03:00:54 am
Okay, I have spent hours searching with little result.  The SO suggested Final Fight, but I couldn't find anything like what I remembered.  For some reason, I'm thinking the guy with the tongue attack is somehow related to Double Dragon and/or Battletoads or a game of similar style and appearance, though I can't find anything to back that up.  Take a look at this extensive list of 2D Beat 'em ups (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fighting_games#Beat_.27em_ups) - maybe you'll see something that jogs your memory.  Also check out this list of NES games (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_Entertainment_System_games), as I feel certain the version I was playing was on my NES (we didn't have a computer, only the NES and before that an Atari and Colleco) but this game was definitely an early 90's one, so it should be on the NES list somewhere if we're thinking of the same game.
Title: Re: Help me remember game titles
Post by: smick on May 13, 2008, 06:52:46 am
I've been trying to remember the names of these two old games from my childhood. Specifically the era now referred to by historians as "The Day."

I remember very little about each one and my Google-fu has failed me so I turn to TOUAMB for help.

Game 1: My friend has this game for DOS. We played it at about the same time that we had shareware versions of Castle Wolfenstein 3D and Duke Nukem, so 92-93ish. It was a Street Fighter type game where most of the characters were alien/monster types. If I were to equate the graphics to a main-stream game I'd say Contra.

The only character I remember distinctly was essentially a big blob of fat with arms and legs. His face was in his stomach and his special moves were sticking out his giant tongue and rolling at the other player.


Is this Samurai Showdown?  Are you referring to Genan?

(http://www.flyingomelette.com/oddities/sab/genan.gif)
Title: Re: Help me remember game titles
Post by: CortJstr on May 13, 2008, 01:20:37 pm
I don't think so. I remember the graphics being very blocky and the game itself being pretty poor. It was more the crazy characters and laughing at the blobby guy that was fun.

It was pretty obscure so if it was a NES game like Smells remembers then I'd guess it was unofficial.

I think that unless I miraculously remember more than just the one character there just isn't enough to go on. It might be on that list linked to above I just didn't recognize the title.