The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: Gimpson on May 07, 2008, 07:53:09 pm
-
I started a new job recently, and the company is filled with sort of sports geeks. (Many of the people from this company built one of the first internet fantasy football systems before leaving to start up my current company.) It looks like they do a lot of rec league type stuff, and I've just been asked to join a softball team. The thing is, I'm terrible at sports. Still, I think it would be a great idea to join. (Make friends with the new coworkers, I could use the exercise, etc.) But I want to embarrass myself as little as possible.
I plan on hitting some batting cages, but anybody have any ideas on how I can at least bring myself up to a little-league level of proficiency? I think expectations are low, but it would be nice to not look like the uncoordinated oaf I am.
-
Fake a back injury or busted ACL.
-
I do have an awesome scar on my knee from a construction injury I could milk as an out if necessary. They said this is a decidedly non-competitive league, so I'm not too worried about being mocked/looked down upon. Still, I didn't want to show up the first day and not be able to perform basic sports tasks. Thanks for the tips, Ash. I think that's just what I needed.
-
100 feet? 33 yards? I guess that would mimic a throw from the outfield, but you'll tire out pretty quick running in to field that sucker. For fielding practice I'd think about half that would be productive. It shouldn't take you long to figure out what works for you. If you find a wall that you're free to (slightly) deface, get some masking tape and put an "X" at head height. I find its helpful to have something specific to target - and its surprising to see how "low" a head-height target looks from a couple dozen yards out.
Or maybe that's just because its my head...hmm...
-
I was undoubtedly the Worst Man on the Field when we played our annual KWUR vs KSLU (K-Washington-U-Radio and K-St Louis University) kickball game, but it was still fun.
...would have been more fun if I hadn't kind of made a fool of myself by being unable to catch a huge ball moving at slow speed, though. I scored some runs at least!
-
There are those who get really into it (http://www.kickball.com/). Not so much into it in a competitive fashion, but in a "we're gonna have the most fun EVER!" kinda way.
-
Pedro used to play in his company's dodgeball league.
-
Seems like if you're waering uniforms to play kickball, you've lost the point.
-
I recently hung up my spikes as office softball team coach, after almost 10 years at it. I would trust your new teammates at their word that it's a non-competitive league and they don't care. If they were hardcore and all about winning games, they would have asked you a lot of questions about your experience and abilities.
But Ash's suggestions to go out and throw a ball to yourself are good.