The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Toaster on May 08, 2008, 12:37:29 pm

Title: How is Teodor's last name pronounced?
Post by: Toaster on May 08, 2008, 12:37:29 pm
I always pronounce Orezscu as "oh-RESH-koo". I can see how maybe it could also be "or-ES-koo".
Title: Re: How is Teodor's last name pronounced?
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on May 08, 2008, 04:52:09 pm
I think it's mentioned in one of the blogs somewhere that Teodor is of Belarusian descent, but I don't think "zs" is a digraph in Belarusian, or any of the Slavic languages, for that matter. It is a digraph in Hungarian (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungarian_zs), however, where it makes a "zh" sound, like the zed in "azure". So it seems that the correct answer might be "Oh-rezh-koo". Unless the "zsc" is just a consonant cluster, in which case it would be "Oh-rez-skoo". But "c" just wouldn't be used that way in any Slavic language I know of, so it being Hungarian seems likelier to me.
Title: Re: How is Teodor's last name pronounced?
Post by: wombat on May 08, 2008, 05:31:12 pm
This is America so he can pronounce it any way he damn pleases.

In my house, one of the ways we know if a phone call is from a salesperson or someone who actually sort of knows us is how they pronounce the Technical Staff's name when they ask for him. He pronounces it the French way, so if they don't, we know they're a stranger. But lots of Americans with his name pronounce it the way the salespeople pronounce it based on its spelling, so you really can't blame them.

So without asking Teodor himself we can't know. Or without calling his house, taking a stab at the pronunciation, and seeing how fast he hangs up on us.
Title: Re: How is Teodor's last name pronounced?
Post by: jay-ell on May 08, 2008, 07:13:58 pm
This thread made me realize that I've been subconsciously transposing the C and the Z. 

o REK szu
Title: Re: How is Teodor's last name pronounced?
Post by: Drygioni on May 08, 2008, 07:17:11 pm
Jo-ugh
Title: Re: How is Teodor's last name pronounced?
Post by: Ruta Bagas on May 08, 2008, 10:29:06 pm
This thread made me realize that I've been subconsciously transposing the C and the Z. 

o REK szu

I've been doing exactly that.

Although I noticed it a while ago and just didn't bother to make the mental effort to change it. I could use that mental effort to think about bees, you know?
Title: Re: How is Teodor's last name pronounced?
Post by: Roger on May 08, 2008, 11:39:35 pm
I always thought he was of Romanian descent, because many Romanian surnames end with -escu (Antonescu, Ionescu, Constantinescu, the infamous Ceaucescu, and so on). And as far as I know the Romanian language has more to do with the Romance languages than with Slavic ones. No clue to the pronunciation though…
Title: Re: How is Teodor's last name pronounced?
Post by: Doc on May 09, 2008, 12:11:48 am
Jo-ugh

Can-ned
Title: Re: How is Teodor's last name pronounced?
Post by: jaydub on May 09, 2008, 12:21:10 am
I always thought he was of Romanian descent, because many Romanian surnames end with -escu (Antonescu, Ionescu, Constantinescu, the infamous Ceaucescu, and so on).
Yeah, that was my impression too.  I've heard those pronounced with endings sounding like -ess/kyoo.  SQ

 
Title: Re: How is Teodor's last name pronounced?
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on May 09, 2008, 12:22:37 am
My name is hungarian and has this sound. My family says it as zzh, but people Ive met from hungary say it with a zsh sound.
Title: Re: How is Teodor's last name pronounced?
Post by: oball on May 09, 2008, 12:47:18 am
I think it's mentioned in one of the blogs somewhere that Teodor is of Belarusian descent

Yeah, he tells Nice Pete that his parents are from Minsk in this strip (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10292003).
Title: Re: How is Teodor's last name pronounced?
Post by: AugustWest on May 09, 2008, 04:10:46 am
Jimnoffsky.

/Carlin
Title: Re: How is Teodor's last name pronounced?
Post by: Choop on May 09, 2008, 06:04:35 am
Teddy Oreck.