The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: Arachno-capitalist on May 13, 2008, 07:05:46 am

Title: Drunk Food
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on May 13, 2008, 07:05:46 am
Whats your favorite food when you are under the awesome spirit? Or fave cooking with some alcohol?
My favorite cooking is my legendary beer butt chicken. I have special combo of beer and spices that steams into the bird just right and makes the most amazing chicken youve ever tasted. But this requires too much patience for a drunken meal.
For drunk food I am all about bratz. The bar I inhabit grills a mean bratwurst which I douse in beer mustard. Bierwurst is also tasty. On cheap nights I tend to prefer french fries or pizza.
My most favorite high food is general tsos chicken, while my most favorite drunk food is a wurst sammich with mustard (i hate mustard when im sober).
Title: Re: Drunk Food
Post by: Doc on May 13, 2008, 07:48:26 am
In the main strip of bars where I am there's a pizza place that's pretty legendary. Huge greasy slices of awesome. There's also a place that does giant breakfasts for 4 bucks which are just the thing about 4 am.

As for making food while drunk there is a story involving me drinking scotch all night then deciding in a crazed fashion to make peanut butter biscuits, eating a whole bunch of said biscuits and then chugging a can of guinness (an inferior guinness delivery mechanism but I was young and foolish then). My last memory is wandering towards the bathroom muttering that I didn't feel so good. I thankfully remember nothing of the rest of the evening but last time I checked that girlfriend still can't stand the smell of peanut butter.
Title: Re: Drunk Food
Post by: Ruta Bagas on May 13, 2008, 10:48:49 am
I guess I most often go for curry when drunk, but really under those circumstances I'll eat anything. Especially Scampi Fries. They're amazing.

As for cooking, I make a mean not-quite-a-beef-bourguignon which can be easily made as a mean not-quite-a-coq-au-vin instead. But that's simple stuff.

Steak cooked in beer is obviously delicious, but I surprise myself by preferring lager and wholegrain mustard to ale.

I was going to make a Guinness chocolate cake once but then I drank the spare Guinness instead. Oh well.
Title: Re: Drunk Food
Post by: side_show on May 13, 2008, 01:18:17 pm
Drunk food: eggs Benedict at Perkins

Stoned food: Cool Ranch Doritos - the large bag - all to myself.
Title: Re: Drunk Food
Post by: CortJstr on May 13, 2008, 01:33:43 pm
I guess I most often go for curry when drunk, but really under those circumstances I'll eat anything. Especially Scampi Fries. They're amazing.

So there are places where one can get curry that are open late or do you just get drunk really early in the day? The idea of "scampi fries" frightens and confuses me.
Title: Re: Drunk Food
Post by: jay-ell on May 13, 2008, 02:14:53 pm
Usually when I'm drunk, the last thing I want to do is eat. 

I might eat on the way to being drunk, though, and then it's usually something heavy.  Pedro's best friend makes these incredible barbecue chicken wings that are probably the best drinking food ever.  I'm also a fan of cheese fries, quesedillas, onion rings, and potato skins.  Basically the entire appetizer menu at Friendly's, is what I'm going for here.  But this needs to happen well before I've finished my second Cuba Libre, because I am *not* interested in food after I've got alcohol in my tummy. 

At that point I am more interested in taking off my clothes and behaving inappropriately in public.  This is why I don't really get drunk any more. 
Title: Re: Drunk Food
Post by: CortJstr on May 13, 2008, 03:00:51 pm
At that point I am more interested in taking off my clothes and behaving inappropriately in public.  This is why I don't really get drunk any more. 

If I may quote a great military mind: Shake it, baby!
Title: Re: Drunk Food
Post by: littlefallsmets on May 13, 2008, 03:36:09 pm
Some form of scrambled eggs usually does the trick for me, be they plain ol' scrambled, omlette or scrambled on top of a bagel.

I am, however, significantly less inappropriate when I am drunk or high. I pretty much just get kind of chill and comfortable and the most "wacky" thing I'll want to do is come up with offensive skits for Conan O'Brien but never write them down.

I think that my everyday inappropriateness comes from all the ways I try to be a normal person but my anxiousness makes it come out all weird and... when I'm messed up, those barriers temporarily fall and...

I'm definitely not getting naked or getting in a fight.

Most I'm doing when I'm messed up is playing air guitar to the solo at the middle of "Money".
Title: Re: Drunk Food
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on May 13, 2008, 04:22:12 pm
My favorite drunk food ever was the fried chicken platter at Dempsey's Diner in Lancaster, PA.  (As far as I know Jough has nothing to do with the place.)  Anything greasy and filling will fit the bill, such as Philly cheesesteaks, or when in Canadia, poutine.
Title: Re: Drunk Food
Post by: jay-ell on May 13, 2008, 04:33:29 pm
Scotch is a solo affair. I drink alone.

With nobody else? 
Title: Re: Drunk Food
Post by: Ruta Bagas on May 13, 2008, 05:03:33 pm
So there are places where one can get curry that are open late or do you just get drunk really early in the day? The idea of "scampi fries" frightens and confuses me.

Well, my local takeaway is a pizza/curry/kebab place and actually does pretty decent food, and is open til midnight in the week and one on a Saturday. Which usually means that it's usually closed just too late, but occasionally urge and timing coincide and it is a beautiful thing. I have made curry when drunk occasionally; it tends to come out quite horrid but the drink generally compensates.

Scampi fries are oddly-shaped crisps - they're hollow and pillow-shaped - that are supposed to take like scampi and lemon. They're chuffing amazing.

Scotch is a solo affair.

Lies.
Title: Re: Drunk Food
Post by: CortJstr on May 13, 2008, 05:59:51 pm
Well, my local takeaway is a pizza/curry/kebab place and actually does pretty decent food, and is open til midnight in the week and one on a Saturday. Which usually means that it's usually closed just too late, but occasionally urge and timing coincide and it is a beautiful thing. I have made curry when drunk occasionally; it tends to come out quite horrid but the drink generally compensates.

The idea of sausage pizza and chicken tikka masala coming from the same place makes my taste buds want to flee.

Quote
Scampi fries are oddly-shaped crisps - they're hollow and pillow-shaped - that are supposed to take like scampi and lemon. They're chuffing amazing.

I know these words* but this sentence makes no sense. I mean, I've heard of crab chips, but they don't actually taste like crab. They just have Old Bay on them. Any potato product that tastes like shellgiraffe just freaks me right the hell out.



*except "chuffing" which appears to mean "fuck*ng"
Title: Re: Drunk Food
Post by: Limmo on May 13, 2008, 07:17:37 pm
With nobody else? 

You know, when Ash drinks alone, he prefers to be by himself.
Title: Re: Drunk Food
Post by: theinevitable on May 13, 2008, 07:19:47 pm
dude, I really just want to make some kind of pun on... when I am drunk all I want is potato chips, you know, what is your favorite brand?
Title: Re: Drunk Food
Post by: jay-ell on May 13, 2008, 07:35:26 pm
You know, when Ash drinks alone, he prefers to be by himself.

Thanks, I thought that was going to pass everyone by. 
Title: Re: Drunk Food
Post by: Ruta Bagas on May 13, 2008, 07:43:56 pm
The idea of sausage pizza and chicken tikka masala coming from the same place makes my taste buds want to flee.

I know these words* but this sentence makes no sense. I mean, I've heard of crab chips, but they don't actually taste like crab. They just have Old Bay on them. Any potato product that tastes like shellgiraffe just freaks me right the hell out.



*except "chuffing" which appears to mean "fuck*ng"

Yeah, most places with that kind of variety are shockingly bad at at least one of their chosen items, but this place is pretty good all round and particularly fine at curry. For a little takeaway, I mean. That spot has had a takeaway on it since before I was born, and it used to change hands every six months or so as each one went bust, but Aroma's been there for maybe a decade now.

I should point out that 'scampi' here generally refers to the tail meat of the shellgiraffe, deep fried in breadcrumbs. Still not what you'd call ordinary but it doesn't matter because they are awesome. They're the kind of food that, when Googled, produces lots of links to shops targeting British expatriates.

Much better than Cheese Flavoured Moments, which are rank beyond all reason.
Title: Re: Drunk Food
Post by: wombat on May 13, 2008, 08:43:59 pm

I know these words* but this sentence makes no sense. I mean, I've heard of crab chips, but they don't actually taste like crab. They just have Old Bay on them. Any potato product that tastes like shellgiraffe just freaks me right the hell out.

Wait - is this like those Asian shrimp chips? I don't think they're potato, they're rice. They're sort of poofy-textured?
Title: Re: Drunk Food
Post by: Ruta Bagas on May 14, 2008, 08:12:22 am
Wait - is this like those Asian shrimp chips? I don't think they're potato, they're rice. They're sort of poofy-textured?

Assuiming "shrimp chips" means the same thing as "prawn crackers", then no, although those are awesome too. I don't think they're made with rice, though, I'm pretty sure it's just ground-up prawn bound with a bit of sago. Come to think of it, though, I think Scampi Fries are probably mostly wheat, or maize, or something.

I might just buy a packet and do some kind of photo-dissection. You wouldn't get the taste but at least we'd be a step nearer to International Understanding.

(I know derailing threads is de rigeur round here but I feel I've done an unfortunately banal number on this one.)
Title: Re: Drunk Food
Post by: wombat on May 14, 2008, 01:13:49 pm
An analysis of prawn crackers, scampi fries, and shrimp chips, with photographs, would not strike me as banal in the least.
Title: Re: Drunk Food
Post by: littlefallsmets on May 14, 2008, 03:21:37 pm
Call me nuts but... "water spider" doesn't strike me as an awesome flavouring at all.

Slightly terrifying, if anything.
Title: Re: Drunk Food
Post by: theinevitable on May 14, 2008, 08:12:49 pm
Quote
BBQ tater chips is where it's at. The good kind that leaves salty seasoning and grease all over your paws.

Made a mid week store stop yesterday and got a small bag to split with Asherbaby on the way home yesterday.

Oh, see, his girlfriend's last name is the same as the name of a popular brand of potato chips, so I was going for that.
When I am drunk, I just want to smooch on some girls. Eating is not on my mind (but if it were, I would go to the cafeteria and get a burrito-- chopped up chicken tenders, sour cream, spicy salsa. Back at the dorm, realize I forgot the cheese, and so heat up a thing of that "Queso" salsa and pour some into the burrito.)

the first time I had that it was because I was out-of-it enough that I took someone else's order-- it would never have entered my sweet little head to order such a thing.
Title: Re: Drunk Food
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on May 14, 2008, 10:08:57 pm
Is Ash making crude sex jokes about my girlfriend? I dont know if Im supposed to be really genuinely offended here or if he is just saying things.
Title: Re: Drunk Food
Post by: Doc on May 14, 2008, 11:15:31 pm
Yeah it was a little much Ash, maybe you should Lay off.
Title: Re: Drunk Food
Post by: Doc on May 15, 2008, 12:32:11 am
[I'm out, that was my best shot]
Pity, I was hoping we could have another running joke thread of Gina proportions.
Title: Re: Drunk Food
Post by: theinevitable on May 15, 2008, 02:39:58 am
I wouldn't have started this if I had thought you would get all Ruffled.
Title: Re: Drunk Food
Post by: jay-ell on May 15, 2008, 12:36:16 pm
Is Ash making crude sex jokes about my girlfriend? I dont know if Im supposed to be really genuinely offended here or if he is just saying things.

With Ash, I'd put my money on "A little bit of column A, a little bit of column B." 

I wouldn't have started this if I had thought you would get all Ruffled.

Cann'd like Pringles. 
Title: Re: Drunk Food
Post by: side_show on May 15, 2008, 10:21:18 pm
In other news: I figured out how to drink Canadian Mist!

In other news: this Canadian was wondering what the hell Canadian Mist was until informed by  Whisky Magazine.   (http://www.whiskymag.com/whisky/brand/canadian_mist/whisky856.html)
Title: Re: Drunk Food
Post by: Mr Trout on May 16, 2008, 03:53:40 am
Ya know? I've drunk my fair share of whiskey, both good and bad. When it comes down to it though, I love either really good scotch, or really bad whiskey. There is a locally bottled variety here, Pikesville Supreme if you're curious, that I cannot seem to get enough of. It is cheap and "bad" yet it gets a reaction. Usually along the lines of "Oh god what did I just swallow?!" But maybe that is a good thing. In my opinion something that is terrible but elicits a reaction is infinitely better than something that is mediocre.


I'd continue this train of thought but I'm afraid the 'Supreme has made me unable.
Title: Re: Drunk Food
Post by: theinevitable on May 16, 2008, 04:30:30 am
the difference, for me, is that when it's terrible, the reaction it brings is me puking.
Title: Re: Drunk Food
Post by: KeithHernandez on May 16, 2008, 09:12:37 am
I am drunk and high right now and I went for Jimmie Johns vegetarian.  Really I get drunk at weird times so I eat whatever is available, but one of the things I really like is getting drunk with my neighbor and having her make some amazing vegetarian food.  Mainly cause it is free if I bring a bladder of wine, but also because she is amazing at cooking.

Also, everything bagels and cream cheese.  toasted.
Title: Re: Drunk Food
Post by: Ruta Bagas on May 16, 2008, 09:18:09 am
Whenever I hear "everything bagel" I picture it with tricycles and merry-go-rounds and bees and the Leaning Tower of Pisa sticking out of it.

It brightens my day.
Title: Re: Drunk Food
Post by: KeithHernandez on May 16, 2008, 09:55:26 am
That would be an amazing bagel.
Title: Re: Drunk Food
Post by: theinevitable on May 16, 2008, 07:43:15 pm
keith--
you are in Boulder, right?
The Jimmy Johns you go to, if you live there, is like a legend among my friends for various reasons.

Also, my best friend lives in Boulder right now.
Title: Re: Drunk Food
Post by: KeithHernandez on May 17, 2008, 09:39:15 am
Yeah, I am in Boulder, though I have never actually been to that Jimmy Johns.  Just get it delivered when Pizza is closed and too drunk to move.