The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Arachno-capitalist on May 13, 2008, 08:49:21 am

Title: 13 May 2008 - Finns Dream of Tridents
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on May 13, 2008, 08:49:21 am
Finland is one of those place we know about, but don't know about. (Until we take an international business course and have to know what it is.)
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=05132008 (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=05132008)
Notice that Beef's arms are back to normal and there is no notice of the past arc - thus contributing to my previous criticism that this is like a sitcom arc. Beef goes from Making and giving away millions to suddenly being interested in finnish hard rock? what?
Cmon Onstad we KNOW you're better than this.

Finland was part of some academic white paper I contributed to regarding arctic oil. It is basically a cool place.

Why Beef is interested, I have no idea. Sweden has produced a fine group by the name of The Knife (best single titled Reindeer). But that's all Ive got as far their music.
Title: Re: 13 May 2008 - Finns Dream of Tridents
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on May 13, 2008, 01:19:08 pm
Finland is host to the World Air Guitar Championships.
Title: Re: 13 May 2008 - Finns Dream of Tridents
Post by: CortJstr on May 13, 2008, 01:31:32 pm
Sigh. Not only have people been adding this stuff to Finland's page but they've been linking back to assbar as their reference.
Title: Re: 13 May 2008 - Finns Dream of Tridents
Post by: jay-ell on May 13, 2008, 02:16:06 pm
*weeps*
Title: Re: 13 May 2008 - Finns Dream of Tridents
Post by: littlefallsmets on May 13, 2008, 03:37:42 pm
Finland, Finland, Finland... there's less of it ev-er-y year...
Title: Re: 13 May 2008 - Finns Dream of Tridents
Post by: lprkn on May 13, 2008, 05:09:23 pm
If Finnish cello metal (http://www.myspace.com/apocalyptica) is wrong, I don't want to be right. If you get a chance, check out this album (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plays_Metallica_by_Four_Cellos), it's what initially made them famous. (In metal circles, at least.) Cover (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqUXDdJ3C-c) of "Unforgiven."

Also, Finnish folk metal about beer and partying and hunting and trolls (http://www.myspace.com/korpiklaaniofficial). Korpiklaani is awesome. I like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3ZhkLUcKT8) song.
Title: Re: 13 May 2008 - Finns Dream of Tridents
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on May 13, 2008, 06:23:37 pm
Uhhhh...that's pretty much right down my alley. How have I missed this kind of thing?

Sounds like Andrew WK just needs to add hunting and trolls to his subject matter, and there you have it.
Title: Re: 13 May 2008 - Finns Dream of Tridents
Post by: Drygioni on May 13, 2008, 07:59:33 pm
Hahaha! Gosh darn those crazy, backward Europeans!

I might sound like a bit of a whiny git but lampooning countries can be a great source of humour, so long as it does not constitute writing mock Wikipedia articles in which one of the most developed transport nations in the world has no cars and that they cannot draw etc.

Dunno (apparently a real word), maybe Onstad is testing his Assetbar readers or it's ironic humour or something.

WAHHHHH
Title: Re: 13 May 2008 - Finns Dream of Tridents
Post by: theinevitable on May 13, 2008, 08:31:13 pm
yeah, for real, this does not seem very Onstad to me.

Maybe a Finnish man spat on his 100$ steak while he was beating his wife. That tends to get him ornery, you know.
Title: Re: 13 May 2008 - Finns Dream of Tridents
Post by: lprkn on May 13, 2008, 08:34:56 pm
Uhhhh...that's pretty much right down my alley. How have I missed this kind of thing?

Well, Finnish metal bands aren't exactly known for having worldwide appeal, you know.

I did a report on Finland in 10th grade. I remember being struck by the fact that their forests are actually growing due to conservative use practices and the fact that they have a lot of fuck*ng forest to start with.
Title: Re: 13 May 2008 - Finns Dream of Tridents
Post by: Ben-San on May 14, 2008, 12:40:19 am
Sometimes "most people don't know anything about X" humor works.

It doesn't work if it turns out that your readers do in fact know things about X and you don't.
Title: Re: 13 May 2008 - Finns Dream of Tridents
Post by: jay-ell on May 14, 2008, 01:04:22 am
I think the real joke here is that Wikipedia is not a reliable information source. 

I could be wrong, though. 
Title: Re: 13 May 2008 - Finns Dream of Tridents
Post by: Ben-San on May 14, 2008, 01:14:40 am
While it is true that Wikipedia has in the past informed me that the Maori name for the yam is "Maurice", with the setup I think it really is just a weak Finland joke.
Title: Re: 13 May 2008 - Finns Dream of Tridents
Post by: gearnest on May 14, 2008, 02:34:58 am
It just so happens that I do know of one Finnish metal band:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3J7iThdiXQ0
Title: Re: 13 May 2008 - Finns Dream of Tridents
Post by: Toaster on May 14, 2008, 05:18:09 am
Where do all of these references to Chris beating his wife come from? Was that from before my time?
Title: Re: 13 May 2008 - Finns Dream of Tridents
Post by: Doc on May 14, 2008, 07:42:15 am
It was the general reason for a strip not being up on time, i.e. Onstad was too busy drinking and beating his wife to be bothered posting one. I remember Jough being the main proponent of this theory but I wasn't around when it started.