The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: AugustWest on May 16, 2008, 01:36:02 am

Title: Help me, hip kids!
Post by: AugustWest on May 16, 2008, 01:36:02 am
As previously discussed herein, my musical knowledge pretty much terminates circa 1989.  It's not that I'm not interested in new music, it just hasn't worked out between us...

Anyway.

At the temp job I just completed today I sat next to a guy who turned me on to some new music.  Most of it I was pretty meh about.  But I really really liked two bands.  My question for you folks is if I like these two bands, who else should I listen to.  The two bands in question are "Iron and Wine" and "Simple Kid". 

Please help out a rapidly declining old fart with some music suggestions.
Title: Re: Help me, hip kids!
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on May 16, 2008, 01:41:24 am
It's not that I'm not interested, it just hasn't worked out between us...

Anyway.

At the temp job I just completed today I sat next to a guy who turned me on.  Most of it I was pretty meh about.  But I really really liked it.

Please help out a rapidly declining old fart..

Anyway, how do you feel about the music on the Garden State Soundtrack. Iron and Wine is on there and most of the music in that vein.
Title: Re: Help me, hip kids!
Post by: theinevitable on May 16, 2008, 01:54:10 am
I have never heard Simple Kid, and never heard Iron and Wine other than tracks other people played for me. um.

In terms of acoustic-ish rock, lately I have been listening to a lot of Caetano Veloso (who is not new, but is AWESOME). Um. I will keep thinking.

Also, I am in love with My Hands are Shaking (http://www.snapdrive.net/files/545478/new%20digs/My_Hands_Are_Shaking.mp3) by Sondre Lerche.

Bon Iver is really fantastic in a way that... is initially boring, and then you realize his songs are gorgeous. Here is Skinny Love (http://ia341040.us.archive.org/3/items/boniver/03-bon_iver-skinny_love.mp3).

Lately I have also been listening to these two guys, Van Morrison and Neil Young. Pretty good.
Title: Re: Help me, hip kids!
Post by: KeithHernandez on May 16, 2008, 09:09:21 am
Man, I wrote a 25 page paper on Caetano Veloso once.  He is amazing.  Are you into Gilberto Gil or Os Mutantes inev?

Anyways, Gilberto Gil is coming here soon and I am happy.

Title: Re: Help me, hip kids!
Post by: theinevitable on May 16, 2008, 07:39:18 pm
Os Mutantes are awesome as all heck.

my mom told my aunt (who lived in Rio in the 70s) that I was getting into Portuguese music, and she asked her to put me on the phone. So that she could say "oh, yeah, me and my friends used to go to jazz clubs in rio, and sometimes those guys would just show up and play, you know?"
Title: Re: Help me, hip kids!
Post by: Mr Trout on May 16, 2008, 10:36:48 pm
Bon Iver is indeed awesome. His songs are very simple and nothing about them is particularly new yet everything fits so well together.

Anyway, I would have to recommend Devendra Banhart. (http://www.eyemaginations.com/download/misc/music/Devendra%20Banhart%2008%20I%20Feel%20Like%20A%20Child.mp3) Amazing artist and an incredibly charismatic guy. I saw him perform a few years ago and he completely charmed the crowd. Another guy I really dig is

Some more:

Songs:Ohia. (http://www.eyemaginations.com/download/misc/music/04%20-%20songs_%20ohia%20-%20almost%20was%20good%20enough.mp3) Kind of a poor man's Neil Young.
Sufjan Stevens. (http://www.eyemaginations.com/download/misc/music/Sufjan%20Stevens%20-%2012%20-%20The%20Man%20Of%20Metropolis%20Steals%20Our%20Hearts.mp3) He writes interesting music about various states, their culture and history.
David Thomas Broughton (http://www.eyemaginations.com/download/misc/music/david%20thomas%20broughton%20-%2002%20-%20execution.mp3) One-man folky guy. Writes pretty depressing stuff that is a bit toungue-in-cheek I'd say.
M. Ward. (http://www.eyemaginations.com/download/misc/music/m%20ward%20-%2003%20-%20sad,%20sad%20song.mp3) This guy is great. Very similar to Bon Iver actually.
My Morning Jacket. (http://www.eyemaginations.com/download/misc/music/my%20morning%20jacket-it%20still%20moves-04-master%20plan.mp3) Good solid songs with a country feel to them.
Title: Re: Help me, hip kids!
Post by: theinevitable on May 16, 2008, 10:45:39 pm
oh, wow, I have been listening to Devendra Banhart but I tend to assume that no one else likes stuff that is just purposely bizarre.
Title: Re: Help me, hip kids!
Post by: Drygioni on May 17, 2008, 01:20:16 am
I've not understood the appeal of Sufjan Stevens. It's very hard to enjoy a man's album when he gives the songs ridiculous titles, presumably to appear zany/wacky/'odd'/'unique'. It seems to be a trend right now, but that sort of thing just doesn't appeal to me, though liking him is of course a popular and perfectly acceptable thing to do. I think I'm approaching it wrong.

In fact, I've decided I am upset about this. If someone recommends me music post-1990, I smile, enquire politely, but unless they've really sold it to me I wait for the music to come to me. I can only immediately count 3 post-1990 bands I  like: Blur, Pulp and Inspiral Carpets. And one of those was formed in the '80s anyway.

Any music written post-Britpop, especially 21st century, utterly fails to create within me any sort of spark, and that makes me sad because I know it's not all bad music, it's just not the same. I listened to a single Pogues album for months without exhausting it (the test is: if I fall asleep listening to it instead of imagining myself on stage playing it I've run out of new things to find in it). Franz Ferdinand are not a bad band, but I got two weeks max out of their album. Devendra Banhart (mentioned above) is indeed a charming guy, and his music can be delightful, but... (STOPPED BECAUSE YOU CAN SEE WHERE I'M GOING)

In response, August, I'm glad you found two new bands you liked. Maybe I should try them too.
Title: Re: Help me, hip kids!
Post by: theinevitable on May 17, 2008, 01:44:08 am
typically when I listen to a CD I don't look at track names, maybe this would help you enjoy sufjan. he makes pretty songs that I like, is the thing.

After years of being obsessed with old (to me) music, I am finally at the point where I can enjoy bands that I am able to go out and see live. Which is nice.

of course, this happens right about the time that all these older bands I love are getting back together and doing reunion tours. I constantly reflect back on the fact that I missed the opportunity to see the Zombies.
Title: Re: Help me, hip kids!
Post by: theinevitable on May 17, 2008, 07:34:15 am
also, I love the song Right Away (http://www.merryswankster.com/mp3/Pattern_is_Movement_Right_Away.mp3) by Pattern is Movement.
Mostly because I met the guys and they were so... they were playing at our big free concert that we have every year, and the guy shook my hand and thanked me for having them, and was just so genuine. They really seem like two kind of dorky guys who have been friends forever and have made music together forever. I also get a vibe of them playing for hours in like maybe their mother's basement. While playing/singing these beautiful melodies that are kind of off-kilter, the keyboard/organ/vocalist guy rocks back and forth with his eyes closed while he sings in a way which makes the weird rhythms seem not Pretentious Math Rock Stuff, but... the sing-song rhythms kids sing in before they learn to keep a steady beat.

Also, come on, the guy is a gym teacher. One is a gym teacher, and the other is this large man with huge glasses and tiny watery eyes and just... I wanted to be their friend.
the opening band had brought their skinny little high-school hipster girlfriends and the guys in Pattern is Movement looked at them and said "we should go hit on those girls, they'd be impressed that we're in a band" and laughed wistfully, then went back to eating their pizza. They were also incredibly impressed that we had gotten them Nutella and animal crackers.

Basically what I'm saying is that they seemed like nice guys (http://www.teamclermont.com/images/Pattern%20is%20Movement/pim_photolores.jpeg) who didn't think they were too cool to talk to a couple of guys who really liked their music, and that means a lot to me.
Title: Re: Help me, hip kids!
Post by: jay-ell on May 19, 2008, 02:41:30 pm
Man, this thread is all CHING CHONG WING WONG to me. 

I guess I'm not one of the hip kids, then, eh? 
Title: Re: Help me, hip kids!
Post by: wombat on May 19, 2008, 02:45:45 pm
Man, this thread is all CHING CHONG WING WONG to me. 

I guess I'm not one of the hip kids, then, eh? 

Hip kids! Observe! You are not answering the question!

You know, though, I think that finding two new bands that you like is a pretty good score for, like, a year. So don't feel bad, Aug.
Title: Re: Help me, hip kids!
Post by: JorgeFabregas on May 19, 2008, 03:16:57 pm
Hip kids! Observe! You are not answering the question!
Really? I thought that they had exactly answered the question. The question being bands that AW might like, given the two new bands that he found.

I'll second the Songs: Ohia recommendation (especially if you are a Neil Young fan and specifically, the album titled Magnolia Electric Co.).
Title: Re: Help me, hip kids!
Post by: littlefallsmets on May 19, 2008, 03:21:20 pm
I would help but... I have no idea who "Simple Kid" and "Iron and Wine" are so I can't say "you would like x if you like y" because... I'd totally need to know y to solve for x, you dig?

That said, I mean, I have the best taste in music of any human being incapable of actually playing an instrument alive (we've tested this in science labs, they hooked me up to diagnostic machines and everything, my urine tests showed a 99.44% saturation of Rockin' Enzymes) and so...

If I mention a band positively, just listen to that band and it will be rad.
Title: Re: Help me, hip kids!
Post by: CortJstr on May 19, 2008, 03:31:41 pm
I say you just visit Zart's last.fm page an listen to whatever he does.
Title: Re: Help me, hip kids!
Post by: Turbo Ninja on May 19, 2008, 03:52:51 pm
Seconding My Morning Jacket and M. Ward, adding Grizzly Bear, Jens Lekman and Final Fantasy (the musician, not the video game).
Title: Re: Help me, hip kids!
Post by: wombat on May 19, 2008, 04:36:35 pm
Really? I thought that they had exactly answered the question. The question being bands that AW might like, given the two new bands that he found.


Well, the second post addressed the original question directly. But the third post professed ignorance with the bands mentioned in the first post. At which point the following posts address bands mentioned in that third post. It is possible that I misunderstand Mr Trout's post, but he begins with mention of a band mentioned in the aforementioned third post, which was mentioned in the context of a profession of ignorance of the bands AW mentioned.

But anyway, it appeared to me that the thread almost immediately wanders from the topic "bands that are like these two bands" to "bands that are liked by people who are posting in this thread."

Title: Re: Help me, hip kids!
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on May 19, 2008, 07:01:22 pm
I like Mr. Trout's suggestions by and large. 

AW, if you like Iron & Wine, you should definitely check out Jose Gonzalez.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iB32Qu2OrnU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmLGMWgHIgw

Other crap I'm listening to lately:  The National, British Sea Power, Okkervil River, the Epochs, TMBG's "The Else." 
(And of course TMBG's "Here Come the 123s.")
Title: Re: Help me, hip kids!
Post by: Mr Trout on May 19, 2008, 10:17:03 pm
Sorry if it wasn't clear, I did actually pick the tracks I linked based on Mr. West saying he liked Iron and Wine. All the bands I posted are either newer folky or alt-country stuff. For some reason though the full mp3s did upload, but the links only play the first second or two of the song. Right-clicking and downloading the mp3 seems to work though.

Thanks for that Jose Gonzalez link - that is some good stuff right there.
Title: Re: Help me, hip kids!
Post by: AugustWest on May 19, 2008, 11:04:47 pm
You know, though, I think that finding two new bands that you like is a pretty good score for, like, a year. So don't feel bad, Aug.

Excellent point!
Title: Re: Help me, hip kids!
Post by: AlohaDawg on May 22, 2008, 03:39:08 am
There's so much old music I never listened to that by the 2020's I figure I'll get around to Sufjan Stevens.

I'm currently collecting music at the local library, 10 discs a week burned to my i-Tunes. Bela Fleck playing Bach? Check. (and pretty cool, too...) Gorillaz? Got 'em today.

For those of you interested in wasting hours and hours, check out BandtoBand.com. It will blow your mind.
Title: Re: Help me, hip kids!
Post by: pmcd9 on June 22, 2008, 04:32:40 am
Iron and Wine did an album with Calexico that is fuck*ng awesome.  Calexico are awesome as well when they are not playing with Iron and Wine.
Title: Re: Help me, hip kids!
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on October 28, 2008, 04:39:01 pm
Passion Pit's "Sleepyhead" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGbbgT9E50k) manages to be slightly stupid, and completely dope at the same time.
Title: Re: Help me, hip kids!
Post by: JorgeFabregas on October 28, 2008, 11:00:16 pm
Passion Pit's "Sleepyhead" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGbbgT9E50k) manages to be slightly stupid, and completely dope at the same time.
That's pretty neat.

AW, you might like The Tallest Man on Earth.
http://hypem.com/search/the%20tallest%20man%20on%20earth/1/

The above site, Hype Machine, is a good place for checking this bands out. It aggregates songs from MP3 blogs. I think I may have mentioned this before.