The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: jay-ell on May 20, 2008, 07:13:54 pm

Title: 20 May 2008 -- all sober on hick tipple
Post by: jay-ell on May 20, 2008, 07:13:54 pm

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=05202008 (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=05202008)

Interesting.  So Ray is pretty much exactly what he appears to be -- he has no depths to plumb.  Reminds me of the episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer where Buffy gets mind-reading powers, and it turns out that Cordelia really does just say whatever pops into her head. 

Edit: Dag nabbit, I picked up that link for a different thread and didn't notice the difference.  Fixed now. 
Title: Re: 20 May 2008 -- all sober on hick tipple
Post by: Choop on May 20, 2008, 07:22:58 pm
wow jay-ell that's some old linkage you got right there


http://achewood.com/index.php?date=05202008
Title: Re: 20 May 2008 -- all sober on hick tipple
Post by: CortJstr on May 20, 2008, 07:29:07 pm
Huskiness Vector confirmed.
Title: Re: 20 May 2008 -- all sober on hick tipple
Post by: wombat on May 20, 2008, 07:53:21 pm
He hates people from New York!

I have never been reduced to this before, but he leaves me no choice:  :'(
Title: Re: 20 May 2008 -- all sober on hick tipple
Post by: jaydub on May 20, 2008, 08:50:31 pm
Also
(http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/ee/Poutine123.jpg/180px-Poutine123.jpg) (http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:vTuiFzDuiH2mvM:http://blog.wired.com/wiredscience/DoesNotEqual.jpg)(http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:UL6Pq1TfWFbSnM:http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a2/Moonshine3.jpg/180px-Moonshine3.jpg)

Briefly, I was confused.
Title: Re: 20 May 2008 -- all sober on hick tipple
Post by: nDed on May 20, 2008, 10:12:01 pm
What's up with poutine anyway? It's like a Quebecian [sic?] failure pile except they've apparently been doing it longer than KFC.
Title: Re: 20 May 2008 -- all sober on hick tipple
Post by: jay-ell on May 20, 2008, 10:24:58 pm
Isn't it "Quebecois?" 

Anybody know how to make this darn thing spit out a cedilla?
Title: Re: 20 May 2008 -- all sober on hick tipple
Post by: nDed on May 21, 2008, 12:14:18 am
Isn't it "Quebecois?" 

Anybody know how to make this darn thing spit out a cedilla?

Alt+128 (Ç) Alt+135 (ç).
Title: Re: 20 May 2008 -- all sober on hick tipple
Post by: Cap'n Squeakers on May 21, 2008, 12:48:16 am
What's up with poutine anyway? It's like a Quebecian [sic?] failure pile except they've apparently been doing it longer than KFC.

Wha..  I can't.. *sputter*.. sir.. I.. good golly.  NO, poutine is not a failure pile.  Poutine is seven different kinds of delicious and may be the best food to eat when you're a bit drunk ever invented.  It is crisp, hot french fries, sprinkled with fresh, squeaky cheese curds (NOT cheese, cheez, or any kind of "whiz") and then covered in thin (not thick 'n' gloppy) spicy beef gravy (duck gravy is acceptable if your name is Lord Fancy Trousers).

It sounds gross, and it is!, but in the best possible way.  The hot french fries and gravy melt the cheese, and it's a big ol' goopy mess.  ("Poutine" is actually a quebecois slang word for "mess," you see.)  It tastes really, really good, especially after a beer or three or at the end of a long night.  Quebec is a very very cold land, and they love their beer there, so it's natural that such an.. INSULATING foodstuff became a national dish. 

If you ever visit Montreal, you absolutely must get some poutine.  La Banquise is a good place to start, but if you really want to push the boat out, go to Au Pied de Cochon and get the foie gras poutine (with duck reductiion).  It's the best $20 your mouth will ever experience.
Title: Re: 20 May 2008 -- all sober on hick tipple
Post by: littlefallsmets on May 21, 2008, 01:45:25 am
I'm sure I'm in the minority here?

But gravy, in general, is just a fuckin' disgusting notion.

I am far from Mr. Slim Goodbody about my diet, or anything, but... it is just the fat that was supposed to LEAVE the food as you cooked it, thickened with flour.

That's a completely horrible culinary idea.

ALSO: Ray and I both disappoint the hell out of our mothers. Finally, I identify with a character other than Beef.
Title: Re: 20 May 2008 -- all sober on hick tipple
Post by: CortJstr on May 21, 2008, 01:58:50 am
I'm sure I'm in the minority here?

But gravy, in general, is just a fuckin' disgusting notion.

Liquid. Love.

Gravy fries are one of mankind's great achievements*. Cheese fries are good and all but gravy fries are all that and some delicious goddamn gravy. They're even better with lots of pepper.




*Most of the others involve boobs somehow.
Title: Re: 20 May 2008 -- all sober on hick tipple
Post by: Doc on May 21, 2008, 02:00:06 am
I'm generally a non-gravy person too, I like my fries crisp not all soggy and gross.
I'd probably try poutine though if it ever came up.
Title: Re: 20 May 2008 -- all sober on hick tipple
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on May 21, 2008, 02:52:19 am
Don't knock it til you've tried it.  Poutine is freakin' awesome.  Especially if you're drunk.

Title: Re: 20 May 2008 -- all sober on hick tipple
Post by: littlefallsmets on May 21, 2008, 03:14:01 am
Oh, I've had it.

I've been forced to eat it by Buffalo-area friends.

A greasy sloppy mess is what it is.

I'm all for greasy food but... there's a such thing as overkill.

Greasy on top of greasy on top of greasy... no. Just... no.
Title: Re: 20 May 2008 -- all sober on hick tipple
Post by: CortJstr on May 21, 2008, 04:21:09 pm
Oh shut up.

One of my most used expressions of approval is to call something "Tits with Gravy".

Man gravy?


::hides::
Title: Re: 20 May 2008 -- all sober on hick tipple
Post by: Golfhaus on May 21, 2008, 09:24:14 pm
I dunno... to me, cheese and bacon on fries is perfect. With Ranch.

Gravy? I don't touch the stuff on nothin'.
Title: Re: 20 May 2008 -- all sober on hick tipple
Post by: CortJstr on May 21, 2008, 11:28:29 pm
Hidden Valley can suck it. Their invention is a plague on American culture. There's nothing I hate more than reading some menu item that sounds really good then suddenly the word "ranch" rears its ugly head.
Title: Re: 20 May 2008 -- all sober on hick tipple
Post by: theinevitable on May 22, 2008, 12:03:05 am
Ranch is rad.
Title: Re: 20 May 2008 -- all sober on hick tipple
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on May 22, 2008, 02:36:20 am
Ranch dressing is OK in small quantities, but I hate their print ads that show someone munching a carrot, and she (it's usually a female, oddly enough) has ranch dressing smeared at the corner of her mouth. 

SPOOGE MUCH?!?  The only thing that was worse were the Aquafina ads that looked for all the world like a young girl was about to perform fellatio on a water bottle.
Title: Re: 20 May 2008 -- all sober on hick tipple
Post by: oball on May 22, 2008, 03:39:39 am
Gravy on chips* I can take or leave.  I'll eat and enjoy them, but I won't go out of my way to get them with gravy.

Gravy on a roast dinner, however, is a must.  The whole point of it is to make sure that the delicious fat that drips out of the meat doesn't go to waste.

Roast pork with crackling and roast potatoes, drenched in gravy = win.


*Fries, if you're a seppo.
Title: Re: 20 May 2008 -- all sober on hick tipple
Post by: Choop on May 22, 2008, 06:29:16 am
FAT


IS



FLAVOR
Title: Re: 20 May 2008 -- all sober on hick tipple
Post by: AlohaDawg on May 22, 2008, 09:12:04 am
FAT


IS



FLAVOR


AMEN!


PREACH


IT


BROTHER!
Title: Re: 20 May 2008 -- all sober on hick tipple
Post by: CortJstr on May 22, 2008, 01:01:22 pm
FAT


IS



FLAVOR

AMEN!


PREACH


IT


BROTHER!

HAS


ANYBODY


SEEN


MY


KEYS?


NEVERMIND
Title: Re: 20 May 2008 -- all sober on hick tipple
Post by: theinevitable on May 22, 2008, 03:05:00 pm
Quote
HAS


ANYBODY


SEEN


MY


KEYS?


NEVERMIND

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS ASSHOLE, THEY WERE IN HIS POCKET THE WHOLE TIME!

Or maybe I should just give you a can instead of trying to replicate, I think that putting that all on different lines is going too far.

Or... just far enough.
Title: Re: 20 May 2008 -- all sober on hick tipple
Post by: Golfhaus on May 22, 2008, 09:44:02 pm
Usually when I say I don't like gravy, I am told, "How do you eat potatoes without gravy?"

Answer: I don't EAT them, except in fries/chips or chips/crisps form.
Title: Re: 20 May 2008 -- all sober on hick tipple
Post by: littlefallsmets on May 22, 2008, 09:47:40 pm
You put butter on mashed potatoes, not gravy.

KFC sickens me because they do not understand this.
Title: Re: 20 May 2008 -- all sober on hick tipple
Post by: theinevitable on May 22, 2008, 09:51:33 pm
Have you not heard of Thanksgiving?

Our nation was founded on corn-on-the-cob, mashed potatoes with gravy (make a little hole in the middle to make a VOLCANO!), and turkey.
Title: Re: 20 May 2008 -- all sober on hick tipple
Post by: littlefallsmets on May 22, 2008, 10:05:50 pm
Quote from: theinevitable
Have you not heard of Thanksgiving?

Yeah. That's the day you put butter on a fuckload of mashed potatoes.
Title: Re: 20 May 2008 -- all sober on hick tipple
Post by: Ben-San on May 22, 2008, 10:15:04 pm
The problem with KFC isn't that they put gravy on mashed potatoes, it's that they put terrible gravy on fairly inoffensive mashed potatoes. Hell of sour rather than savory.

This is one of KFC's problems anyway.
Title: Re: 20 May 2008 -- all sober on hick tipple
Post by: Ruta Bagas on May 22, 2008, 10:19:42 pm
Surely you put butter in mashed potato and then put gravy on it?
Title: Re: 20 May 2008 -- all sober on hick tipple
Post by: CortJstr on May 22, 2008, 10:25:40 pm
The problem with KFC isn't that they put gravy on mashed potatoes, it's that they put terrible gravy on fairly inoffensive mashed potatoes. Hell of sour rather than savory.

This is one of KFC's problems anyway.

It's main problem being that it has no reason to exist when there's Popeye's to be had.
Title: Re: 20 May 2008 -- all sober on hick tipple
Post by: theinevitable on May 22, 2008, 10:55:44 pm
I totally dig KFC, but I am supposed to go to this Price's Chicken Coop place instead, apparently.

I think I like it, though, because my parents hate fried chicken, and never let me have it as a kid.
Title: Re: 20 May 2008 -- all sober on hick tipple
Post by: Golfhaus on May 22, 2008, 11:21:30 pm
I totally dig KFC, but I am supposed to go to this Price's Chicken Coop place instead, apparently.

I think I like it, though, because my parents hate fried chicken, and never let me have it as a kid.

Seriously, dude. We'll get the NC contingent together and go one sunny Saturday. You will all stop outside and say "No way in hell I'm eating from THERE" and I'll be all "We came all this way you're getting the chicken" and in the end I will be thanked for the experience.
Title: Re: 20 May 2008 -- all sober on hick tipple
Post by: CortJstr on May 23, 2008, 12:10:09 am
I still have not tried Pollo Campero. Apparently the lines are no longer long enough to require police supervision at lunch time.
Title: Re: 20 May 2008 -- all sober on hick tipple
Post by: Cap'n Squeakers on May 23, 2008, 03:59:07 pm
I, too, used to hate gravy.  Awful, gloppy opaque stuff!  But then I had good gravy, and the scales fell from my eyes.  I honestly think nobody could possibly hate good gravy, ladled onto a well cooked piece of meat (or potatoes if that is your thing).  Good gravy is time-consuming to make, though, and the petroleum by-product crap you buy at the store is only fit for killing ants.
Title: Re: 20 May 2008 -- all sober on hick tipple
Post by: CortJstr on May 23, 2008, 04:28:58 pm
the petroleum by-product crap you buy at the store is only fit for killing ants.

You can also boil it and pour it in your eyes
Title: Re: 20 May 2008 -- all sober on hick tipple
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on May 23, 2008, 05:24:19 pm
Dude, lay off, OK?
Title: Re: 20 May 2008 -- all sober on hick tipple
Post by: nDed on May 23, 2008, 07:39:22 pm
Gravy belongs on the animal it came from and kept the hell away from my fries.
Title: Re: 20 May 2008 -- all sober on hick tipple
Post by: Choop on May 23, 2008, 11:55:24 pm
mcdonald's fries

wendy's frosty

dip

enjoy
Title: Re: 20 May 2008 -- all sober on hick tipple
Post by: Doc on May 24, 2008, 12:06:31 am
mcdonald's fries

wendy's frosty

dip

enjoy

We don't have wendy's here but I do the same thing with maccas fries and chocolate thickshakes.
Title: Re: 20 May 2008 -- all sober on hick tipple
Post by: Choop on May 24, 2008, 12:08:05 am
mang i grew up on mickey d's fries dipped in frosty's, that was all the rage in ohio in the eighties
Title: Re: 20 May 2008 -- all sober on hick tipple
Post by: wombat on May 24, 2008, 12:10:01 am
I don't understand any of you. Fries are the perfect food all by themselves. Why would you need to put anything on them at all?

Title: Re: 20 May 2008 -- all sober on hick tipple
Post by: Choop on May 24, 2008, 12:12:05 am
why do people put ketchup on fries? i have no clue, i think it ruins them

but consider this:

potato chips dipped in melted chocolate

whattaya think of THAT
did that just blow your MIND
THAT JUST HAPPENED
Title: Re: 20 May 2008 -- all sober on hick tipple
Post by: Doc on May 24, 2008, 12:16:58 am
sweet + salty = heart disease heaven
Title: Re: 20 May 2008 -- all sober on hick tipple
Post by: wombat on May 24, 2008, 01:51:04 am
I put ketchup on fries sometimes, because I am in the mood to eat ketchup, and can't think of anything else that it's good on.

It doesn't improve the fries but it's a good way to eat the ketchup.
Title: Re: 20 May 2008 -- all sober on hick tipple
Post by: jay-ell on May 24, 2008, 02:09:30 am
mang i grew up on mickey d's fries dipped in frosty's, that was all the rage in ohio in the eighties

Yes, I remember thinking it was disgusting then, too. 

Mostly because it made cold fries, which are yuck. 
Title: Re: 20 May 2008 -- all sober on hick tipple
Post by: Doc on May 24, 2008, 02:10:27 am
No, that's why you have to do it when the fries are fresh and eat them quickly
Title: Re: 20 May 2008 -- all sober on hick tipple
Post by: littlefallsmets on May 24, 2008, 06:21:27 am
You ain't lived until you ate Stove Top Stuffing with nacho-cheese sauce on top.

ALSO: you've never had a heart attack.
Title: Re: 20 May 2008 -- all sober on hick tipple
Post by: Choop on May 24, 2008, 06:43:12 am
LFM i think i love you





(but what am i so afraid of)
Title: Re: 20 May 2008 -- all sober on hick tipple
Post by: jay-ell on May 24, 2008, 02:28:05 pm
You ain't lived until you ate Stove Top Stuffing with nacho-cheese sauce on top.

ALSO: you've never had a heart attack.

*weeps*
Title: Re: 20 May 2008 -- all sober on hick tipple
Post by: AlohaDawg on June 08, 2008, 09:02:09 pm
mang i grew up on mickey d's fries dipped in frosty's, that was all the rage in ohio in the eighties

Whoa.

Wha...

Ohio? Did I know this and just have developed alzheimers?
Title: Re: 20 May 2008 -- all sober on hick tipple
Post by: jay-ell on June 09, 2008, 12:55:15 am
I remember this, but it might not have hit your part of Ohio. 

I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt here.  You're not that much older than me, and I'd like to think I'll still have my long-term memory intact a few years from now. 
Title: Re: 20 May 2008 -- all sober on hick tipple
Post by: Choop on June 09, 2008, 07:41:51 am
dawg we talked about ohio when we were at the euclid ave yacht club drinkin pints and throwin darts

JL: think of chocolate covered potato chips
now think of hot fries instead of potato chips
now think of cold chocolate
equals yum
Title: Re: 20 May 2008 -- all sober on hick tipple
Post by: jay-ell on June 09, 2008, 03:47:58 pm
dawg we talked about ohio when we were at the euclid ave yacht club drinkin pints and throwin darts

JL: think of chocolate covered potato chips

Yeah, still ew. 

Sorry.  Potato is one of the few substances that is no improved by the addition of chocolate. 
Title: Re: 20 May 2008 -- all sober on hick tipple
Post by: CortJstr on June 09, 2008, 04:16:37 pm
Yeah, still ew. 

Sorry.  Potato is one of the few substances that is no improved by the addition of chocolate. 

Any food item can be improved with the addition of chocolate or garlic. Very few could use both. And never both at once. That would make baby jesus cry.

Also, like 5 posts up, I thought that AD was actually more surprised that Choop spent time in Ohio, not the fries thing.
Title: Re: 20 May 2008 -- all sober on hick tipple
Post by: Death Ray on June 09, 2008, 09:29:09 pm
What's up with poutine anyway? It's like a Quebecian [sic?] failure pile except they've apparently been doing it longer than KFC.

Here in Rochester we have the glorious Garbage Plate. It is two burger patties or two hot dogs served over french fries and macaroni salad, atopped with onions and Texas hot sauce. Up yours, Eskimo France!
Title: Re: 20 May 2008 -- all sober on hick tipple
Post by: Death Ray on June 09, 2008, 09:32:10 pm
Yeah, still ew. 

Sorry.  Potato is one of the few substances that is no improved by the addition of chocolate. 

You are....


pant, pant


...SO wrong on that point. Chocolate covered potato chips are the end of civilization as you have known it and the glorious, phoenix like rebirth of the world as God intended. Get them into your body today.
Title: Re: 20 May 2008 -- all sober on hick tipple
Post by: Choop on June 10, 2008, 05:45:39 am
listen to death ray for he speaks truth

if you're scared it's okay baby everything will be just okay in the end just try one potato chip followed by one chocolate chip

salty + sweet = heaven
Title: Re: 20 May 2008 -- all sober on hick tipple
Post by: jay-ell on June 10, 2008, 03:35:31 pm

...if you're scared it's okay baby everything will be just okay in the end...

If I had a nickel for every time I heard that one...
Title: Re: 20 May 2008 -- all sober on hick tipple
Post by: pmcd9 on June 10, 2008, 03:45:21 pm
Zing!
Title: Re: 20 May 2008 -- all sober on hick tipple
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on June 16, 2008, 03:53:09 pm
Sorry.  Potato is one of the few substances that is no improved by the addition of chocolate. 

Potatoes are improved by the addition of bacon, however.