The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: slink on November 04, 2003, 10:14:36 am

Title: Retro-Fitted Catalytic Converters (11-04-03)
Post by: slink on November 04, 2003, 10:14:36 am
Excellent, more cars!
I love Ray's huge off-roader.
Now I am more concerned about Philippe however!!
It shouldn't be too hard to find a 60s Econoline with an otter dressed as a bee though surely?
Fingers crossed!
Oh, and Mr Bear in a Mini! Sweet!
And of course, Beef is just the type of guy to drive a, oh damn what is it called in America... well, estate anyhow!

Strip (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=11042003).
Title: Retro-Fitted Catalytic Converters - Nov 4th
Post by: FeeReep on November 04, 2003, 11:43:25 am
Shades of The Great Muppet Caper.  Several Achewood strips were devoted to stealing cars in the past, its nice to see nearly everyone has wheels now-- and such snazzy ones, at that. Is Ray rollin' on 28s?

Everybody loved Nice Pete for a few days, and now he's got Phillipe in the front seat murder van. Poor, similarly taken-in T might be in the back of the deathmobile, too. He is noteably absent from today's installment. This is pretty creepy, people.
Title: Re: Retro-Fitted Catalytic Converters - Nov 4th
Post by: PinkStainlessTail on November 04, 2003, 11:57:42 am
Quote from: "slink"
Excellent, more cars!
I love Ray's huge off-roader.


Man, an SUV that ostentatious only goes off road when it rolls over. But oh is it perfect for Ray.
Title: Retro-Fitted Catalytic Converters - Nov 4th
Post by: Steve Hogan on November 04, 2003, 12:28:08 pm
A british car with a single malt scotch dispenser?  Who were the previous owners any way?

(http://www.itsgames.com/usr/ilana/tv/images/avengers.jpg)
Title: Retro-Fitted Catalytic Converters - Nov 4th
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 04, 2003, 02:35:34 pm
I've always appreciated Ray's love for his friends, and now to see the whole gang working together to save Philippe (even though some would enjoy punching him in the gut (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=12272001) at times)--it just warms the heart.
Title: Retro-Fitted Catalytic Converters - Nov 4th
Post by: CortJstr on November 04, 2003, 04:44:54 pm
We know Ray bought Beef's car for him but I'm guessing Mr. Bear already had his ride.

I sense a hilarious misunderstanding in the works.
Title: Retro-Fitted Catalytic Converters - Nov 4th
Post by: Choop on November 04, 2003, 05:06:51 pm
Yes, Ray in an Escalade with 28s is sublime - the Escalade EXT would have been absolute perfection. For the uninitiated, Beef's is the same '65 Ford Galaxie (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=11252002) Ray bought him some time back.

The pairing of Mr. Bear (Cornelius) and Lyle in the same vehicle is grounds for tremendous amounts of nose coffee. I'm looking forward to this week, suddenly!
Title: Retro-Fitted Catalytic Converters - Nov 4th
Post by: slink on November 04, 2003, 05:31:15 pm
Quote from: "Choopernickel"
Yes, Ray in an Escalade with 28s is sublime - the Escalade EXT would have been absolute perfection. For the uninitiated, Beef's is the same '65 Ford Galaxie (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=11252002) Ray bought him some time back.

The pairing of Mr. Bear (Cornelius) and Lyle in the same vehicle is grounds for tremendous amounts of nose coffee. I'm looking forward to this week, suddenly!


Ah it was the Galaxie. From the front end I had assumed it was a, that's what you call them, station wagon! I knew it was a something wagon. But I'd just got up!
I do love the way Mr Bear and Lyle always get teamed up together. Or at least it seems that way. Maybe it just seems so right to me, but I'm sure they have been before, to some extent.
Title: Retro-Fitted Catalytic Converters - Nov 4th
Post by: Paisley on November 04, 2003, 06:16:48 pm
Quote from: "FeeReep"
... Poor, similarly taken-in T might be in the back of the deathmobile, too. He is noteably absent from today's installment. This is pretty creepy, people.


Now, I'm sure that Teodor is back at the house, coordinating the search via cellphone and the computer.

Just as I'm sure that everyone is looking for Nice Pete and Philippe because they want to know where the Super Secret Ice Cream Shop is.
Title: Retro-Fitted Catalytic Converters - Nov 4th
Post by: ferocious j on November 04, 2003, 06:52:07 pm
My reaction to this was "Of course Ray drives an Escalade."  That is the only possible choice.

I wonder if Mr. Bear and Lyle are teamed up only out of necessity, though, since it's pretty clear Mr. Bear's annoyed with Lyle and his filthy hands.
Title: Retro-Fitted Catalytic Converters - Nov 4th
Post by: sjlimmer on November 04, 2003, 06:56:27 pm
After all, we already knew that Ray's fans preferred the Escalade.

http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=05082003
Title: Retro-Fitted Catalytic Converters - Nov 4th
Post by: jough on November 04, 2003, 07:12:33 pm
Looks like 'stad's got a jones to draw new vehicles this week.  Wonderful.

Laphroaig is my personal favourite Scotch, and obviously Mr. Bear has a wonderful Avengers-esque car (good call, Mr. Hogan) with buttons that not only launch heat-seeking missles or drop an oil slick behind it, but also dispenses a wonderful peaty single malt Scotch from the Isle of Islay.
Title: Retro-Fitted Catalytic Converters - Nov 4th
Post by: slink on November 04, 2003, 07:14:37 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Looks like 'stad's got a jones to draw new vehicles this week.  Wonderful.

Laphroaig is my personal favourite Scotch, and obviously Mr. Bear has a wonderful Avengers-esque car (good call, Mr. Hogan) with buttons that not only launch heat-seeking missles or drop an oil slick behind it, but also dispenses a wonderful peaty single malt Scotch from the Isle of Islay.


You have good taste in whiskey, may I say. Certainly was my favourite single, although since discovering #192/3a from the Scottish Malt Whiskey Society in Edinburgh, it's not quite as good!
Cheaper though!

Oh, and I wish my car did that...
Title: Retro-Fitted Catalytic Converters - Nov 4th
Post by: jough on November 04, 2003, 07:16:09 pm
Laphroaig is an interesting beast, because the 10 year aged is only passable, but the 15 is just incredible.  And nearly twice the price.

But if you're going to drink Scotch you may as well splurge.
Title: Retro-Fitted Catalytic Converters - Nov 4th
Post by: side_show on November 04, 2003, 07:55:36 pm
Quote from: "slink"
I do love the way Mr Bear and Lyle always get teamed up together. Or at least it seems that way. Maybe it just seems so right to me, but I'm sure they have been before, to some extent.


They're a sitcom waiting to happen.
Title: Retro-Fitted Catalytic Converters - Nov 4th
Post by: CortJstr on November 04, 2003, 08:09:16 pm
Mr. Bear's tastes have matured at an incredible rate. Just two years ago he didn't even know (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=10222001) what vodka or bourbon were now he's all about the fancy stuff.
Title: Retro-Fitted Catalytic Converters - Nov 4th
Post by: slink on November 04, 2003, 08:30:44 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Mr. Bear's tastes have matured at an incredible rate. Just two years ago he didn't even know (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=10222001) what vodka or bourbon were now he's all about the fancy stuff.


Ah thankyou for reminding me of that one. I always love Mr Bear in that.
Title: Retro-Fitted Catalytic Converters - Nov 4th
Post by: AugustWest on November 04, 2003, 08:38:28 pm
I just hope we don't have a guest appearance by John Walsh.
Title: Retro-Fitted Catalytic Converters - Nov 4th
Post by: V-Adore on November 04, 2003, 09:00:23 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Mr. Bear's tastes have matured at an incredible rate. Just two years ago he didn't even know (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=10222001) what vodka or bourbon were now he's all about the fancy stuff.

Think about it -- two years ago Mr. Bear and company were entirely clueless about things like alcohol, cars, and ordering pizza, and now everyone's drinking (well, okay, Lyle apparently always was drinking), driving, and doing the Underground. Is this sudden shift from "alive stuffed animals as struggling inhabitants of an out-sized human world" to "alive stuffed animals at the helm of their own world" representative of a greater tone shift within the strip? (You may now emerge from your bunkers, children; today's Armchair Xenology Moment is past.)

I have high hopes for this week, albeit tempered by nervousness. The vehicle art is gorgeous, and the teamwork at play is downright inspiring -- Lyle and Mr. Bear are teamed up again, but I've always figured that they must get on better than you'd think, given as they can apparently handle living with each other. I'm curious about what Teodor's doing, though -- and, for that matter, where are the *#*#*s? Where's the Metal Militia when Philippe needs them? And what about Pat? (At home bitching, no doubt, but...)
Title: Retro-Fitted Catalytic Converters - Nov 4th
Post by: Steve Hogan on November 04, 2003, 09:39:05 pm
I hope it all turns into a big car chase like THE ITALIAN JOB.  Not the Markie Mark version, but the one with Michael Caine, Noel Coward and a special appearance by Benny Hill as a horny chubby chaser.
Title: Retro-Fitted Catalytic Converters - Nov 4th
Post by: Mite on November 04, 2003, 10:33:29 pm
Quote from: "Steve Hogan"
...a special appearance by Benny Hill as a horny chubby chaser.

I love it when films cast against type like that.
Title: Retro-Fitted Catalytic Converters - Nov 4th
Post by: ManDingo on November 05, 2003, 02:21:05 am
New cars are almost better than new characters.
Title: Retro-Fitted Catalytic Converters - Nov 4th
Post by: andalucia on November 06, 2003, 12:27:43 am
True story... I can't stop looking at this strip:  I think it's one of the most artistic yet.
Title: Retro-Fitted Catalytic Converters - Nov 4th
Post by: ManDingo on November 06, 2003, 01:52:29 am
The new strip has a new character in a new car.  You're going to have to poke my eyes out to make me look away.  Even then I will stare with my gaping holes, fondly remembering the looking, until you smother me with a pillow.