The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: Arachno-capitalist on June 06, 2008, 08:24:32 am
-
I am saying now here the same position I've held for weeks that Casino Drive will defeat Big Brown for the Belmont. My friends and I have pooled a very considerable amount of money ( in the thousands ) ready to bet Casino Drive for the Place and Win. No one seems to be accounting for how long this race is. Big Brown is a sprinter... this race is more of a marathon and Casino Drive has been bred and trained to run exactly this race since before he was born.
Not to mention the absolutely terribly odds on Big Brown... Feel like betting 100 to win 30? Big brown is your man. I wouldn't be surprised if he went off at 1/8.
Itll be fun either way. If BB wins, itll be an historical event. If CD wins, Ill be champagne rich.
-
Anybody who has a thing for sports at all should be reading this Vegas Watch. This isn't one of the best articles, but he agrees with A-CAP: http://vegaswatch.net/2008/06/2008-belmont-stakes-odds.html
-
http://tcm.bloodhoss.com/article/45605.htm (http://tcm.bloodhoss.com/article/45605.htm)
<-- censors break link, should read "blood h o r s e .com"
“He has a small issue with his left-hind leg and we are not happy,” said Nobutaka Tada, spokesperson of owner Hidetoshi Yamamota and trainer Kazuo Fujisawa. “So we did not go to the track.”
“We have not yet scratched him from the race,” Tada said outside Barn 17. “There is nothing stopping us at this moment and we are not thinking of scratching. We think it might be a small stone bruise and we will watch it closely.
No fuck*ng way, cmon.
-
I don't know or care who wins the race... I'm just going to be very angry if the news story starts, "Tragedy at the Belmont today..."
-
What the heck kind of a name is Big Brown? That's not the name of a champion, that's like something a five year old would name a hoss.
-
What the heck kind of a name is Big Brown? That's not the name of a champion, that's like something a five year old would name a hoss.
Big Brown is named after UPS. Big Brown's owner, Paul Pompa Jr., named the hoss in gratitude after his Brooklyn, N.Y., trucking company received a contract extension from UPS Freight. His Truck-Rite Corp. hauls palletized shipments for the UPS trucking unit.
-
What the heck kind of a name is Big Brown? That's not the name of a champion, that's like something a five year old would name a hoss.
Please do not be talking bad about Mrs. West's employer.
-
Please do not be talking bad about Mrs. West's employer.
Call me when they hide an arrow in their logo.
-
There are three hosss that live on my family's property in Oklahoma and I just realized I have no idea what any of their names are.
-
http://tcm.blood h o r s e.com/article/45628.htm (http://tcm.blood h o r s e.com/article/45628.htm)
Casino Drive has scratched from the Belmont after he was found to be favoring his left side after a morning exercise.
Sad Faces all around.
-
Too bad. I just checked the rest of the field and given my theory that the hoss with the best sounding name should win, Casino Drive had a real shot.
I'm rooting for Guadalcanal. I don't care that the odds are 50-1.
-
Well Big Brown cant win first, second, and third place so two more hosss are going to be handing out money today. Denis of Cork seems to have his shit together. Also, Icabad Crane and Macho Again caught my eye. The big brown predestination opens up Exacta and Trifecta options so this will be fun.
-
Well Big Brown cant win first, second, and third place so two more hosss are going to be handing out money today. Denis of Cork seems to have his shit together. Also, Icabad Crane and Macho Again caught my eye. The big brown predestination opens up Exacta and Trifecta options so this will be fun.
There are a lot of fairly serious hoss players at my new job and they seem to like Macho Again. For whatever that's worth.
-
Well that was some fun. It was like Big Brown wasn't even in the game, he was just some blow hard who happened to show up to the race. I loved it. Standing there in the OTB watching everyone watch Big Brown, the pre-ordained winner of the triple crown, the ultimate bad ass, COME IN LAST PLACE to the hosss his trainer called "a bunch of jokers who don't even deserve to race my hoss".
-
He was like a completely different hoss. Somebody made a shitload of money today.
-
Ooo, I hadn't even thought of foul play.
But there you go, I was right - Guadalcanal beat him!
-
I really wouldn't be surprised if foul play was involved in keeping my hoss out of the race. At the 5 position he would have been absolutely perfectly positioned to pass the cluster fuck big brown was in. For me the race was over once Big Brown rammed his face into Da Tara's ass in the beginning of the race. You can easily see BB breaking stride once that happened.
For me the most surreal thing was to see Dutrow (BB's trainer) come out after his hour hidden from media. He appeared 20 years old and spoke with a gay lisp (sorry, I dont know how else to describe it). His posture was broken and he looked like he was about to die. This is surreal compared to his complete Ultimate Bad Ass persona he displayed for weeks as he called Big Brown as the predestined hoss to win and that his win was "a foregone conclusion". Whatever. Karma's a bitch. Learn some humility next time.