The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: dejavroom on June 17, 2008, 05:32:54 pm

Title: Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
Post by: dejavroom on June 17, 2008, 05:32:54 pm
Hell yeah. Anyone ever tried this one? It's a survival/horror/sometimes shooter game for Xbox and Win PC (I played the PC version), based on the RPG that's based on the works of H. P. Lovecraft. It's very atmospheric, ranging from eerie to just absolutely nerve-wrecking. The gameplay is at times a bit awkward, but nothing that detracts from the experience.

You're a detective that starts investigating a missing person case... in Innsmouth (if you're not familiar with H. P. Lovecraft: Not the type of town you'd wanna find yourself at night). It's not too long before he starts stumbling upon things that man wasn't meant to know. I'm a huge Lovecraft enthusiast, so it's no wonder I loved it, but I was wondering if anyone here had played it too. Heres the wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Call_of_Cthulhu:_Dark_Corners_of_the_Earth

Also:

(http://www.icce.com.br/dagon1.jpg)
Title: Re: Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
Post by: Drygioni on June 18, 2008, 11:29:08 pm
What Lovecraft would you recommend? He looks intriguing.
Title: Re: Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
Post by: dejavroom on June 19, 2008, 02:35:31 pm
Well, you could start with a short story called http://www.dagonbytes.com/thelibrary/lovecraft/thecolouroutofspace.htm (http://www.dagonbytes.com/thelibrary/lovecraft/thecolouroutofspace.htm) ("The Colour Out of Space"). It's pretty brutal and relentless, in the sense that the protagonists start sort of well off but then there's a steady descent into despair and destruction. No hope, no nothing.

Then you cold check the so-called "classics", which delve more into his ad hoc mythology: "The Call Of Cthulhu" http://www.dagonbytes.com/thelibrary/lovecraft/thecallofcthulhu.htm (http://www.dagonbytes.com/thelibrary/lovecraft/thecallofcthulhu.htm); "At The Mountain of Madness" http://www.dagonbytes.com/thelibrary/lovecraft/mountainsofmaddness.htm (http://www.dagonbytes.com/thelibrary/lovecraft/mountainsofmaddness.htm) - which runs a bit longer than your usual Lovecraft tale. These three stories should tell exactly what the man was about. Also, it seems Guillermo del Toro is trying to film "At the Mountains...", the news of which sent ripples all over the horror geekdom...
Title: Re: Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
Post by: Drygioni on June 22, 2008, 12:54:05 am
help

Cheers me dears, I'll get started.
Title: Re: Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
Post by: Toaster on June 26, 2008, 06:22:18 am
Looks pretty eldritch. And Cyclopean. Will there be men of science in it? I'd like to be shewn some more of that. (Four Lovecraft stylistic references. Pretty good, if I say so myself.)
Title: Re: Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
Post by: Dexter on June 26, 2008, 11:24:03 pm
Looks pretty eldritch. And Cyclopean. Will there be men of science in it? I'd like to be shewn some more of that. (Four Lovecraft stylistic references. Pretty good, if I say so myself.)
You forgot to date your post 300 years in the past, so that it would have been written before the American Revolution.
Title: Re: Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
Post by: Drygioni on June 26, 2008, 11:58:07 pm
I am posting from 1970

i am at a fcking good new yaears party

allen-poe is makin out with many fine ladies

Which caused him to lose his sanity, and dream of things no sane mind can comprehend.

bitches
Title: Re: Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
Post by: dejavroom on June 27, 2008, 12:20:51 pm
Looks pretty eldritch. And Cyclopean. Will there be men of science in it? I'd like to be shewn some more of that. (Four Lovecraft stylistic references. Pretty good, if I say so myself.)

"A BLOOOO A BLA BLOO BLOO BLOO OOO" can count as a Lovecraftian thing to say, too, I guess...
Title: Re: Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
Post by: dejavroom on August 28, 2008, 12:57:21 pm
So, Judy, read some? Tell us!