The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Ben-San on June 20, 2008, 08:44:09 am

Title: Jun 20 2008 - Total Sammy Hagar
Post by: Ben-San on June 20, 2008, 08:44:09 am
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=06202008


Beef shows off his talent for social engineering. And so Showbiz is foiled by no hand but his own. Well played, R. Beef Kazenzakis.
Title: Re: Jun 20 2008 - Total Sammy Hagar
Post by: Doc on June 20, 2008, 09:13:59 am
It's nice to see the family Kazenakis reunited, if only through the medium of police blotter.
Title: Re: Jun 20 2008 - Total Sammy Hagar
Post by: MrCB on June 20, 2008, 11:45:41 am
Corliss - is this Roast Beef's mom?? Has she even been mentioned so much as before?
Title: Re: Jun 20 2008 - Total Sammy Hagar
Post by: wombat on June 20, 2008, 11:48:45 am
Beef is a genius and I am SO relieved.

See, good things can happen that are still funny, in character, and in tone with the strip.  So now can they get married and live happily ever after?
Title: Re: Jun 20 2008 - Total Sammy Hagar
Post by: Drygioni on June 20, 2008, 12:31:31 pm
Nicely played, Le Rosbif.
Title: Re: Jun 20 2008 - Total Sammy Hagar
Post by: CortJstr on June 20, 2008, 12:37:59 pm
Oh man, the visible beer belch is so nasty. But so accurate.
Title: Re: Jun 20 2008 - Total Sammy Hagar
Post by: Doc on June 20, 2008, 12:54:48 pm
Corliss - is this Roast Beef's mom?? Has she even been mentioned so much as before?

She was mentioned as shacking up with a guy in meth country in Molly's blog.

Title: Re: Jun 20 2008 - Total Sammy Hagar
Post by: dejavroom on June 20, 2008, 12:56:27 pm
Also in that strip when Beef's father gets shot.
Title: Re: Jun 20 2008 - Total Sammy Hagar
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on June 20, 2008, 12:59:28 pm
One should not fuck with Mr. Roast Beef Kazenzakis.  Not even his own flesh & blood.  Good stuff.
Title: Re: Jun 20 2008 - Total Sammy Hagar
Post by: Hambone on June 20, 2008, 01:06:20 pm
The only Corliss I know is basketball player Corliss Williamson, who is a guy.  Is "Corliss" a female name?  (Insofar as it is a name to begin with, that is.) 

Then again, is "Cassandra" a male name?
Title: Re: Jun 20 2008 - Total Sammy Hagar
Post by: MrCB on June 20, 2008, 02:44:11 pm
Then again, is "Cassandra" a male name?

Nope, they thought that Roast Beef was going to be a girl...

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=12022002 (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=12022002)
Title: Re: Jun 20 2008 - Total Sammy Hagar
Post by: pmcd9 on June 20, 2008, 03:01:42 pm
Bananas are .39 here.
Title: Re: Jun 20 2008 - Total Sammy Hagar
Post by: littlefallsmets on June 20, 2008, 03:27:15 pm
I actually have a similar weakness to Showbiz... except that mine involves Barnes and Nobles, Bibles and the "Religious Fiction" section. I wonder if I am a mystery man on any police blotters anywhere.
Title: Re: Jun 20 2008 - Total Sammy Hagar
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on June 20, 2008, 03:41:18 pm
I actually have a similar weakness to Showbiz... except that mine involves Barnes and Nobles, Bibles and the "Religious Fiction" section. I wonder if I am a mystery man on any police blotters anywhere.
No, You're just a pain in the ass to some kid whos trying to work at a book store.
Title: Re: Jun 20 2008 - Total Sammy Hagar
Post by: Ben-San on June 20, 2008, 03:58:42 pm
I'm agreeing with A-CAP, what's the world coming to.

Yeah, uh.. you may think it's hilarious, but there are legitimate literary and scholarly reasons for books of mythology and scholarly commentaries on them to be in a different section from "Religious Fiction", which is as vapid a crap pit as you'll find in a book store for the most part. I mean, do you move all the copies of Romeo & Juliet in with the Harlequin romances? Distinction based on influence and pedigree is quite legitimate in the context of keeping books organized.

Also, every dumbfuck high schooler who thinks he's smarter than everyone else pulls that one. Have some originality. Put Superman trades in with the Bibles or something. If you're going to be a jackass to some minimum-wage clerk at least give him a laugh.
Title: Re: Jun 20 2008 - Total Sammy Hagar
Post by: wombat on June 20, 2008, 04:22:31 pm

And Wombat: do you really want it over? This is the best arc in ages and I'm enjoying it playing out in all the little offshoots. When it's over, it's back to...

I don't want it to be over. I just wish I could be sure it was going to be a happy ending, when it is.
Title: Re: Jun 20 2008 - Total Sammy Hagar
Post by: dejavroom on June 20, 2008, 04:32:39 pm
Speaking of Bibles, I just got a King James from this evangelical lady in the office /o/

Now I can use my literary guide to the Bible! /o/
Title: Re: Jun 20 2008 - Total Sammy Hagar
Post by: sensate on June 20, 2008, 04:38:11 pm
I think it's so sad - Beef's mom made the effort to come to her son's wedding, and gets popped before she can even see him. And she's a meth addict. Yeeesh.
Title: Re: Jun 20 2008 - Total Sammy Hagar
Post by: Toaster on June 20, 2008, 06:44:15 pm
What are the odds that Beef also engineered his mom's pinching? Also, what are the odds that Corliss will prove too tough for the women's prison and get transferred to the men's prison where she will meet up with Showbiz?
Title: Re: Jun 20 2008 - Total Sammy Hagar
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on June 20, 2008, 06:49:10 pm
The Corliss I know is famous Marxist from New Jersey who sued the CIA. And he was male.
Title: Re: Jun 20 2008 - Total Sammy Hagar
Post by: pmcd9 on June 20, 2008, 07:26:03 pm
It could be Beef's father.  Death is not the end.  Especially in Achewood.
Title: Re: Jun 20 2008 - Total Sammy Hagar
Post by: nDed on June 20, 2008, 08:11:41 pm
It could be Beef's father.  Death is not the end.  Especially in Achewood.

Also in that strip when Beef's father gets shot.

dejavroom is correct (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=06302005).

I guess Corliss is one of those names that can be used by either sex. Like Ashley or Leslie or Daryl (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daryl_Hannah).
Title: Re: Jun 20 2008 - Total Sammy Hagar
Post by: colmore on June 20, 2008, 11:55:53 pm
When bored at B&N I'll usually go to the History section and move the lefty stuff from the floor-shelf to eye level with the best sellers.

Anyway though, having worked at a shitty chain bookstore, I can say that reshelving pranks are a-ok.  The clerks would way rather fix that sort of thing (the manager has no idea how badly the shelving is messed up, it's a great task for when you show up to work high) than have some one come up with some real work for them.

And speaking of hating the living fire out of Barnes & Noble (who, I'll add, have an active corporate strategy for directly competing with libraries) they have very lax security.  Half their patrons have bookbags and there are points of sale all through the store.  Just sayin'.
Title: Re: Jun 20 2008 - Total Sammy Hagar
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on June 21, 2008, 12:36:43 am
I too worked at BN. I did most of my time in the CD area, which meant dealing with my share of jerk offs who wanted to file the music according to what genre they thought the artist or album belonged in.
And yea security at BN is a joke. It basically amounts to the randomly inserted magnetic tags which usually falls out when you open the book.
Title: Re: Jun 20 2008 - Total Sammy Hagar
Post by: littlefallsmets on June 21, 2008, 01:53:29 am
Yeah, I actually discussed this with friends who've done the Big Chain Bookstore thing and they've all agreed... if anything, it gives them a little thrill to see it when they're working such ridiculously boring gigs.

Ain't thinking I'm gonna change the world, just trying to have some impish fun while my girlfriend looks at the same shelf of crafting books over and over again for four straight hours.
Title: Re: Jun 20 2008 - Total Sammy Hagar
Post by: jay-ell on June 21, 2008, 05:00:14 pm
Ain't thinking I'm gonna change the world, just trying to have some impish fun while my girlfriend looks at the same shelf of crafting books over and over again for four straight hours.

Knitter? 
Title: Re: Jun 20 2008 - Total Sammy Hagar
Post by: littlefallsmets on June 21, 2008, 05:27:34 pm
Knitting is the ONLY craft she does not know how to do.

Stained glass, dry wall, crochet, sewing, beading... everything except knitting.

She is such as the MacGuyver of crafts but, to mix metaphors, knitting is her kryptonite.
Title: Re: Jun 20 2008 - Total Sammy Hagar
Post by: AugustWest on June 22, 2008, 02:27:09 pm
Fuck that noise. You all should have your damn fingers broke.

Lighten up, Francis.