The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: Choop on November 05, 2003, 03:07:17 am

Title: Spy Chic
Post by: Choop on November 05, 2003, 03:07:17 am
Any fans of 24 in the hizzle? Damn it looks good next week.

Just weighing interest, basically.
Title: Spy Chic
Post by: CortJstr on November 05, 2003, 03:27:02 am
I missed a couple episodes in the first season (this was pre-TiVo) and I didn't feel like I could catch up. I guess I could rent the DVDs but that would take effort and I'm just not prepared for that.
Title: Spy Chic
Post by: jough on November 05, 2003, 04:49:03 am
I'm a big fan of spy/espionage shows/movies, but I don't really have time to watch tv regularly.  I've been meaning to check out the 24 DVDs, especially since I could watch the first two seasons in a row.

My problem is that if I did watch them I'd have to watch them all in "real time" - that is, I'd plan to spend an entire 24 hours watching 24.  Then I'd do it again for season 2.  And I wouldn't want to do it alone - it would be far more fun to have two 24 parties - maybe a month apart to give people time to recoup.

But try finding someone that wants to watch 48 hours of television with you.
Title: Spy Chic
Post by: Choop on November 05, 2003, 05:29:02 am
<intercom>

*crackle*

Mite, would you please pick up the white courtesy phone? Mite, call on you at the nearest white courtesy phone.

*fizz*

</intercom>
Title: Spy Chic
Post by: Mite on November 05, 2003, 11:37:09 am
Glad I'm providing some entertainment, Choop.

I haven't seen 24 yet. I haven't had a tv for a couple of years - mostly because I was too poor to buy one in college. Now I think I don't own one just out of habit.

But as a person who used to watch the entire MST3k Turkey Day Marathon, I can definitely see the pleasure of a full day of television. I've been meaning to do that with Twin Peaks, since my parents thought it was too risqué for us when it was first on (No, I'm not quite THAT young; my Dad's a minister and we were a little sheltered).
Title: Spy Chic
Post by: slink on November 05, 2003, 11:57:34 am
Quote from: "Mite"
I've been meaning to do that with Twin Peaks, since my parents thought it was too risqué for us when it was first on (No, I'm not quite THAT young; my Dad's a minister and we were a little sheltered).


Good choice. It makes a fine day (or few) of TV.
I'm with you and Jough on the barely watching TV front.
West Wing, and erm, well that's about all I watch now. Everything else downloaded or off DVD now.
As for 24, I enjoyed the first half maybe of the first series, but after that I thought it got a bit boring. Too repetitive and, shit can't remember the word... I knew what was happening and stuff. And the second series was just silly.

Man I should really stop posting first thing in the morning. My brain just doesn't work!
Title: Spy Chic
Post by: CortJstr on November 05, 2003, 03:23:07 pm
Quote from: "jough"
I'm a big fan of spy/espionage shows/movies, but I don't really have time to watch tv regularly.  I've been meaning to check out the 24 DVDs, especially since I could watch the first two seasons in a row.

My problem is that if I did watch them I'd have to watch them all in "real time" - that is, I'd plan to spend an entire 24 hours watching 24.  Then I'd do it again for season 2.  And I wouldn't want to do it alone - it would be far more fun to have two 24 parties - maybe a month apart to give people time to recoup.

But try finding someone that wants to watch 48 hours of television with you.


It wouldn't be all that bad unless you took 22 minutes worth of pee/food breaks. IIRC only the first an last episode of each season are actually an hour, the others should be closer to 44 minutes. So it would probably be more like 18 and a half hours for each season. That's much more reasonable.
Title: Spy Chic
Post by: jough on November 05, 2003, 04:36:07 pm
Slink: Predictable is I believe the word for which you were searching.

Cort: I would plan to use the extra 18 minutes per episode to go to the bathroom, make/order food, talk to the person/people in my company, etc.

I would want to at least *begin* every episode in real time, and if it were possible to time out the DVD chapters so that we could simulate actual commercial breaks that would be perfect.

I mean, if you're going to do something like this you should really do it right, you know?
Title: Spy Chic
Post by: CortJstr on November 05, 2003, 04:39:28 pm
My soon-to-be in-laws TiVo'd all of season 2 but saved them up until they could watch the whole season all at once. They were even using best-quality so by the end there was almost no space for any other shows.
Title: Spy Chic
Post by: jough on November 05, 2003, 05:41:03 pm
Other shows are overrated.
Title: Spy Chic
Post by: CortJstr on November 05, 2003, 06:00:25 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Other shows are overrated.


Not Farscape, baby. Can I get a "hell yeah" from the DRDs in the house?
Title: Spy Chic
Post by: Choop on November 05, 2003, 10:11:40 pm
Frellin' A yeah! I was so pissed when they moved it to 10. How could I watch every week and[/i] have a Friday night social life? Not possible.

I do wish they would rethink their DVD strategy, though. I'd buy every season if they each came on a single disc, but as it stands it's like three to five discs per season. Can't swing that.
Title: Spy Chic
Post by: CortJstr on November 05, 2003, 11:40:36 pm
I'm not sure which show you're referring to I've never seen more than 4 episodes of any show on a single DVD. And even that seems to be pushing the limitations of the medium.
Title: Spy Chic
Post by: slink on November 06, 2003, 12:18:46 am
Quote from: "CortJstr"

Not Farscape, baby. Can I get a "hell yeah" from the DRDs in the house?


I never did get into that. It had hope, but...
I far preferred FireFly (good news about the movie), though it was even more illfated than Farscape!
Title: Spy Chic
Post by: jough on November 06, 2003, 02:13:46 am
The first season of "Coupling" (BBC) is on a single disc - six episodes.
Title: Spy Chic
Post by: Choop on November 06, 2003, 03:10:09 am
Perhaps I misphrased myself: what I meant to say was every episode available on disc together in one set for a reasonable price. Consider the Sopranos or 24 - why not Farscape? I think it oughta be standard practice, as opposed to "Here are four random episodes from a season. You want more? Oh, well, here for a separate transaction are four other random episodes from the same season." Yes, I like to watch episodes chronologically. What?

Oh, and thanks for the cite, jough.
Title: Spy Chic
Post by: slink on November 06, 2003, 04:38:23 am
Quote from: "jough"
The first season of "Coupling" (BBC) is on a single disc - six episodes.


As are most of the other BBC DVDs (H2G2, Red Dwarf, OK, those are the only ones I own...)
Title: Spy Chic
Post by: jough on November 06, 2003, 07:03:47 am
Slink, that's because compared to U.S. tv series, English "series" runs are much shorter.

In England they'll make a show of 6-12 episodes, run them all, and then if it's popular they'll go back and make more.  It could take a year until the next "series" comes out.  

Coupling is brilliant.  I caught some of it on BBC America and have recently ordered the second season on DVD.  That still leaves the third season yet to be released, and I read that they're in pre-production for a fourth season.  Whoo-hoo.

For those who think yank sit-coms are obnoxious and unfunny, I highly recommend Coupling if you can find the discs to buy or rent.  Very clever, funny stuff.
Title: Spy Chic
Post by: slink on November 06, 2003, 10:41:14 am
Quote from: "jough"
Slink, that's because compared to U.S. tv series, English "series" runs are much shorter.


Yea, but I've seen so many series on DVD where there are about 3 episodes on each disc, and no other features on them either.
Which is shocking, and drives the price up hidesouly (somehow!).

,quote="Jough"]
For those who think yank sit-coms are obnoxious and unfunny, I highly recommend Coupling if you can find the discs to buy or rent.  Very clever, funny stuff.[/quote]

I never really got into that. Although, If those tend to be your complaints about US Sitcoms, one well worth checking out is Channel 4's Black Books. If you can find it over there, it is superb!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005V8VI/ref=sr_aps_dvd_1_1/026-6992290-3502866
Title: Spy Chic
Post by: jough on November 06, 2003, 10:44:48 am
Nah, no Region 2 PAL releases for me, mate.
Title: Spy Chic
Post by: slink on November 06, 2003, 11:40:10 am
Quote from: "jough"
Nah, no Region 2 PAL releases for me, mate.


Well it was more just the only link I could think of to show you what it was. It may get a US release at some point... Possibly!
Title: Spy Chic
Post by: CortJstr on November 06, 2003, 02:31:41 pm
Ah, see Farscape is being done by ADV which is primarily an anime company. And the standard format for most anime releases is 4-4-3-3-3-3-3-3 which works nicely because 26 episodes is a standard run in Japan and this way they can hook you with the first two "big" discs.

For this style of release I generally wait for the inevitable box (http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/Jvh5cRu0Z4NsocnO0X/browse/item/57706/4/0/0) set (http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/Jvh5cRu0Z4NsocnO0X/browse/item/60638/4/0/0).
Title: Spy Chic
Post by: Choop on November 06, 2003, 05:08:40 pm
NOW THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!

How did I miss this news? Um... also, $140 is a bit out of my price range... but then, Petemas is on its way. Maybe my missus might make me merry! Yeah. with the Farscape.
Title: Spy Chic
Post by: CortJstr on November 06, 2003, 05:14:44 pm
Actually they were both on sale for $90 last week. I think Amazon has a lower regular price.

I don't expect S3 until next year, though.