The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => History => Topic started by: Doc on June 23, 2008, 07:59:27 am

Title: George Carlin Dead.
Post by: Doc on June 23, 2008, 07:59:27 am
Damnit y'know?
I mean he was old, it was coming but it still hurts to know that the world is short one of it's greatest acerbic old cranks tonight.
Title: Re: George Carlin Dead.
Post by: littlefallsmets on June 23, 2008, 08:26:06 am
Ah jeez. One of the last of the good ones.

Ain't nobody seeming to fill these vacuums anymore... for Hunter S, for Vonnegut and now for Carlin? Dammit.

Sleep well, motherfucker, you were mostly right about this life and this human race.

(We need a day of inappropriate swearing in public places devoted to him or something.)
Title: Re: George Carlin Dead.
Post by: Doc on June 23, 2008, 08:54:49 am
(We need a day of inappropriate swearing in public places devoted to him or something.)

I was thinking a day of not humouring anyone's stupid shit under the guise of being polite.
I am not suggesting we do that here.... I like it here.
Title: Re: George Carlin Dead.
Post by: CortJstr on June 23, 2008, 12:47:21 pm
Wasn't it just announced that he's winning this years Twain prize? That about sucks for timing.

Goodbye, Mr. Conductor. I'll always remember you mocking my extremely non-manly first name.
Title: Re: George Carlin Dead.
Post by: jay-ell on June 23, 2008, 01:42:22 pm
Seventy-one? 

That ain't old. 

That ain't old if you're George Motherfuck*ng Carlin. 

I'll be pouring out a beer tonight, I guess. 
Title: Re: George Carlin Dead.
Post by: jay-ell on June 23, 2008, 02:02:01 pm
Also: BoingBoing has a great video up.  Get it while you can. 

http://www.boingboing.net/2008/06/23/goodbye-george-carli.html (http://www.boingboing.net/2008/06/23/goodbye-george-carli.html)
Title: Re: George Carlin Dead.
Post by: pmcd9 on June 23, 2008, 03:17:33 pm
Also: BoingBoing has a great video up.  Get it while you can. 

http://www.boingboing.net/2008/06/23/goodbye-george-carli.html (http://www.boingboing.net/2008/06/23/goodbye-george-carli.html)

Hilarious.
Title: Re: George Carlin Dead.
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on June 23, 2008, 03:55:35 pm
My dad had "Toledo Window Box" and "FM&AM" on vinyl.  I listened to them at an age at which it was probably inappropriate.

Still, I freakin' loved that guy.

"Tonight's forecast:  Dark!"
Title: Re: George Carlin Dead.
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on June 23, 2008, 06:25:14 pm
By the way, which are you:  Fuckin' Stupid, Full of Shit, or Fuckin' Nuts?
I'm full of shit, personally.
Title: Re: George Carlin Dead.
Post by: AugustWest on June 24, 2008, 01:29:01 am
What a lousy way to start the day.  RIP George.
Title: Re: George Carlin Dead.
Post by: Lister on June 24, 2008, 09:14:38 am
I've watched a lot of his old specials recently, and I can't tell if they seem not-that-special because everyone else copied them, or because all I'd seen of them before were the absolute best bits.

That said, Carlin's best was motherfuck*ng perfect.  I can't think of higher praise.  I said a brief prayer to Joe Pesci for him when I heard the news.