The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: slink on November 05, 2003, 12:28:18 pm
-
So, anyone else off to see Revolutions today?
I kind of want to not like it after how big it's gotten, but I just can't forsake it.
Reloaded had problems, but I enjoyed it, and I'm heading down to the city with a couple of friends tonight to see Revolutions.
So, when and if you do... what did you think?
-
<biggest nerd ever>
I slept in a parking lot with then-boyfriend and several other nerdy teenage boys for Revolutions. No, didnt sleep. It was too cold, but I did pass out on the mall florr when they let us in. This time, I cant even see it opening night, since tomorrow I've got a writer's craft test and I have six kinds of noun clauses to memorize.
</biggest nerd ever.>
actually, its arguable with me whether that tag should ever be closed...
Edited to mention that since I live in a small city, there was a huge picture in the paper of us in said parking lot.
-
I have friends who are going, but I'm holding off, because... <insufficient geek>I haven't actually seen Reloaded yet. And I have no plans to see the Animatrix or the video game or anything.</insufficient geek>
I really ought to camp out for a movie, if only to restore my swiftly-fading geek cred, but Episode I rather disillusioned me on that.
-
<biggest nerd ever>
I slept in a parking lot with then-boyfriend and several other nerdy teenage boys for Revolutions.
I think you mean for "Reloaded" since "Revolutions" just opened - unless you mean that you broke up with your "then-boyfriend" this morning some time?
We're going to strip you of that "biggest nerd ever" title for the time being.
And I guess by default I'm wearing it now, huh?
-
I have friends who are going, but I'm holding off, because... <insufficient geek>I haven't actually seen Reloaded yet. And I have no plans to see the Animatrix or the video game or anything.</insufficient geek>
I really ought to camp out for a movie, if only to restore my swiftly-fading geek cred, but Episode I rather disillusioned me on that.
I got Animatrix when it came out (mainly because I'm also an otaku-geek) but haven't watched it.
You could always camp for the final third of the LotR movie. Or go to the minithon screening of the whole movie that several theatres are doing over a 10 hour stretch next month.
-
The New York Times review has a primer for those who missed the second film.
You really only need to know about 4 facts, since most of what happens in the second movie has absolutely no bearing on the third.
I'd use the word "disappointment" if my expectations for the third film weren't already so low.
-
Personally, I don't get the whole Matrix phenomenon. Didn't see the second one, don't plan to see the third. I thought the original was nice eye-candy but the story was pretty much lame. How can you get excited about an SF idea that old?
Meh.
-
Personally, I don't get the whole Matrix phenomenon. Didn't see the second one, don't plan to see the third. I thought the original was nice eye-candy but the story was pretty much lame. How can you get excited about an SF idea that old?
Meh.
The same reason Spider-man is so popular: geek escapism. In the sense that the hero is/was extremely geeky/reclusive and it turns out that lifestyle was the best/right one all along. Take that normals!
As for LotR, I've the buzz I've heard is that it's getting Best Picture. IIRC the first 2 parts were nominated but this one will win as a symbolic overall award for all 3 since they're essentially one big ass movie.
-
Saw it this morning on an IMAX screen at The Bridge.
Amazing how you can make a four hour movie, cut it in half, and somehow have the first half suck and the second half relentlessly kick ass.
What sucked: whenever The Kid spoke. Some of the WWII-movie cliches. Lots of questions unresolved. Not crazy about the ending. Morpheus barely present.
Other than that, however, it took about five minutes for it to get going and from there was pretty much the most relentless action movie I've ever seen, like the last 45 minutes of ALIENS stretched out to feature length.
Much more emotional involvement with this one than with Reloaded, as well. I'll go on at greater length about it when more people have posted here upon seeing it.
-
Anyway, is Reloaded a mandatory watch for Revolutions? I've been assuming as much, but is there any way to manage otherwise? (i.e. "having a rabid fanboy explain what happened in Reloaded" &c.)
Erm, I'd say yes. Given the revolutions starts the moment reloaded ends.
And damn, it's worth seeing reloaded just so you can go see revolutions!
It is damn fun! Better than Reloaded, which I had about 2 gripes with.
Damn it was good!
Damn!
As for LotR, I still haven't seen TTT... Bleah. Just didn't get round to it, since I was immobile when it was showing, and likewise I fear I may not be able to go see RotK. Unless I do the same as with tonight and go down with my two mates, after borrowing TTT DVD.
-
Personally, I don't get the whole Matrix phenomenon. Didn't see the second one, don't plan to see the third. I thought the original was nice eye-candy but the story was pretty much lame. How can you get excited about an SF idea that old?
Meh.
I have to agree. The first one was totally annoying to me - while I can't deny that some of the visual effects were pretty ground breaking, the content was totally intellectual diarrhea. I've tried really hard to get the allure, but I just can't.
-
Personally, I don't get the whole Matrix phenomenon. Didn't see the second one, don't plan to see the third. I thought the original was nice eye-candy but the story was pretty much lame. How can you get excited about an SF idea that old?
Well, yea it is a fairly old SF idea, though generally more Cyberpunk which I do consider somewhat a different genre now, but it has never been executed in film at all well.
And as far as having a balls out, kung-fu laden action movie with stunning effects, the Matrix beats them all!
I have tried to avoid liking it since the first, but I can't. So I just go with it now, and dig what they're doing.
-
I like movies where people fight and stuff blows up.
-
Well me too, but that ain't all I like. Also, some movies where people fight and stuff blows up are better than other movies where people fight and stuff blows up.
-
Well, if you like fighting and stuff blowing up, then The Matrix Revolutions is for you, because it's just a cavalcade of people fighting. And stuff blowing up.
-
As for Movies with fightin' and stuff explodin'....It's all good, but without some on-screen boobage, it's all hollow and empty.
Well, Persephone's new dress does quite well for that...
I'm so trying to avoid getting involved in the LotR talk, since well, I haven't seen TTT yet *sobs*.
Not that I'm someone who only knows it from the films, but it just makes getting involved in talk of the latest two a bit pointless.
Might go watch Fellowship again though. Been trying to think of something to watch.
-
What. The. Shit.
This is the most ridiculous movie ever. Awful, awful, awful. I kept waiting for the resolution, and it never came. Jough, you bastard, you totally lied to me. No loose ends, my ass.
Also, I'm breaking off a LOTR thread. So there.
-
As far as I know, everything essential from the first two films was resolved.
There were some *new* issues brought up in this film, but I guess we'll have to wait for Matrix 4 to see what happens there.
I can't believe you thought it was *that* bad. I told you I was disappointed, but only because I thought the action sequences were... well, dull.
In any case, I thought the ending (not the *very* ending - but the resolution of the war) was appropriate and kind of brilliant.
I'll post some thoughts, but in a SPOILERS-ONLY thread.