The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: wombat on June 30, 2008, 08:50:23 pm

Title: WHY must I live like a fool? June 30 2008
Post by: wombat on June 30, 2008, 08:50:23 pm
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=06302008 (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=06302008)

Perhaps not the best thread title in this strip, but something I often wonder myself.

Like why do I read a comic that is so SAD? The last thing I need in life is MORE SAD.
Title: Re: WHY must I live like a fool? June 30 2008
Post by: Golfhaus on June 30, 2008, 08:53:31 pm
I was going to go with "I'm gonna tinker with myself 'til I say only promises," personally.

I didn't have a bachelor party, on account of living in a different state at the time. Looking back, this was probably for the best.
Title: I'm gonna tinker with myself 'til I say only promises - June 30 2008
Post by: wombat on June 30, 2008, 08:57:38 pm
yes, that was the other possibility.

Also: I see that Aveda sells Humectant Pomade and Anti-Humectant Pomade.  What happens if they meet?
Title: Re: I'm gonna tinker with myself 'til I say only promises - June 30 2008
Post by: nDed on June 30, 2008, 09:13:32 pm
yes, that was the other possibility.

Also: I see that Aveda sells Humectant Pomade and Anti-Humectant Pomade.  What happens if they meet?

They annihilate each other and their combined mass is converted into energy? Aveda could start development on humectant/anti-humectant collision drives.
Title: Re: WHY must I live like a fool? June 30 2008
Post by: jaydub on June 30, 2008, 10:27:33 pm
God, this reads like every party I ever planned.  Excepting my wedding, thankfully - but I attribute that to my wife's presence.  I'm planning a birthday party now (for me); so far my uncle has declined, my best friend since knucklehead times has opened the Evite, but not replied (ditto for my dad), and one of my brothers hasn't checked his email for a week.  I'd worry about his health, but it turns out he's one of those people who could apparently carry on living if the Internet disappeared tomorrow.
Title: Re: WHY must I live like a fool? June 30 2008
Post by: connorbd on July 01, 2008, 12:23:33 am
You know, the way things were going I figured Teodor would be the first person to piss everyone off with being emo. But Beef... he's in full-blown meltdown mode, and no one wants to be around him except Ray. Been there done that. It sucks.

Beef being Beef, of course, most of this is understandable. Most. But what he did to Teodor is borderline unforgiveable.
Title: Re: WHY must I live like a fool? June 30 2008
Post by: CortJstr on July 01, 2008, 12:35:26 am
This is what I would imagine my bachelor party being like. Except I wouldn't know what a humectant was and I have no idea who would even be planning it.
Title: Re: WHY must I live like a fool? June 30 2008
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on July 01, 2008, 12:39:50 am
Or end up googling "humectant " to see if theres anything in it i can get high on.... like drinking sterno.
Title: Re: WHY must I live like a fool? June 30 2008
Post by: AugustWest on July 01, 2008, 01:08:21 am
*weeps*
Title: Re: I'm gonna tinker with myself 'til I say only promises - June 30 2008
Post by: littlefallsmets on July 01, 2008, 02:11:40 am
Quote from: nDed
Aveda could start development on humectant/anti-humectant collision drives.

I feel the same way about Dayquil and Nyquil.
Title: Re: WHY must I live like a fool? June 30 2008
Post by: Cap'n Squeakers on July 01, 2008, 02:18:00 am
Beef being Beef, of course, most of this is understandable. Most. But what he did to Teodor is borderline unforgiveable.

No way, it was totally Teodor's fault.  he blew up first, he was the one slamming Beef's family, and after all, whose wedding is it anyway? Not Teodor's.

I am defending the honor of a talking cat in his argument with an alive stuffed animal.  It is time to stick my head in the oven.
Title: Re: WHY must I live like a fool? June 30 2008
Post by: connorbd on July 01, 2008, 05:35:50 am
No way, it was totally Teodor's fault.  he blew up first, he was the one slamming Beef's family, and after all, whose wedding is it anyway? Not Teodor's.

I am defending the honor of a talking cat in his argument with an alive stuffed animal.  It is time to stick my head in the oven.

That doesn't make Beef any less an ungrateful jerkass. He and Teodor are, as we're discovering, two of a kind; it's just that Teodor puts on the brave front while Beef wears it on his sleeve. Beef fucked up be refusing to be grateful for a good friend's best efforts, even if it wasn't his sort of thing.

And let's see where that leaves him -- Ray, who is hosting and is sort of oblivious; Lyle, who couldn't care less; Philippe, who is way, way too young; Pat, who would have to top for Rod even if Rod wasn't a bottom because he's already got a pole shoved up his ass; Todd, who nobody ever wants around anyway; and Nice Pete, who is of low mind (infernally so). And we already know Cornelius, Emeril, and Spongebath won't be there for whatever reason. No, unless Ramses Luther and Ghost O' Molly's Dad can show Beef a good time like he's never seen, Beef's SOL. And evidently that hasn't come to pass, as we see in the last panels.
Title: Re: WHY must I live like a fool? June 30 2008
Post by: Doc on July 01, 2008, 06:41:56 am
Pat, who would have to top for Rod even if Rod wasn't a bottom because he's already got a pole shoved up his ass;

Beef's misery aside, cann'd for this.
Title: Re: WHY must I live like a fool? June 30 2008
Post by: wombat on July 01, 2008, 11:17:55 am

I am defending the honor of a talking cat in his argument with an alive stuffed animal.  It is time to stick my head in the oven.

Here's a can before you go.
Title: Re: WHY must I live like a fool? June 30 2008
Post by: MrCB on July 01, 2008, 01:43:02 pm
A cat such as Roast Beef is only meant to know happiness for as long as it takes to hurt him.
Title: Re: WHY must I live like a fool? June 30 2008
Post by: colmore on July 01, 2008, 05:48:35 pm
"Nobody ever gets what they deserve and that is beautiful
Everyone dies frustrated and alone and that is beautiful."

They Might Be Giants
Title: Re: WHY must I live like a fool? June 30 2008
Post by: nDed on July 01, 2008, 06:42:35 pm
"Nobody ever gets what they deserve and that is beautiful
Everyone dies frustrated and alone and that is beautiful."

They Might Be Giants

Is this a personal mondegreen or are you making this TMBG line more pertinent to the strip?
Title: Re: WHY must I live like a fool? June 30 2008
Post by: AugustWest on July 02, 2008, 12:06:56 am
That doesn't make Beef any less an ungrateful jerkass. He and Teodor are, as we're discovering, two of a kind; it's just that Teodor puts on the brave front while Beef wears it on his sleeve.

Bullshit.

Beef started out being concerned about T's feelings and asking politely for a change.  Teador brought out the bitch.  Whose wedding is it?  It's about Beef and Molly and what they want rather than an opportunity for T-Adore to demonstrate that he is the biggest, swingingest dick in the local pretentious foodie community.
Title: Re: WHY must I live like a fool? June 30 2008
Post by: connorbd on July 02, 2008, 04:06:34 am
Bullshit.

Beef started out being concerned about T's feelings and asking politely for a change.  Teador brought out the bitch.  Whose wedding is it?  It's about Beef and Molly and what they want rather than an opportunity for T-Adore to demonstrate that he is the biggest, swingingest dick in the local pretentious foodie community.

Bullshit bullshit. You don't get foodies. Or people like Teodor.

T isn't competing with anyone. He's a craftsman, and he's offering to pull out the stops for one of his closest friends. It's as if Beef was offered a vintage Corvette and said "No thanks, I'll stick with a moped" for no reason other than he thinks he doesn't deserve it. I reiterate -- Beef is being a jerkass.
Title: Re: WHY must I live like a fool? June 30 2008
Post by: Doc on July 02, 2008, 04:11:14 am
Bullshit bullshit. You don't get foodies. Or people like Teodor.

T isn't competing with anyone. He's a craftsman, and he's offering to pull out the stops for one of his closest friends. It's as if Beef was offered a vintage Corvette and said "No thanks, I'll stick with a moped" for no reason other than he thinks he doesn't deserve it. I reiterate -- Beef is being a jerkass.

Bullshit3
If Beef wants a moped he should be able to get a goddamned moped. Why's a man got to have what society tells him he should want rather than what he's comfortable with?
Title: Re: WHY must I live like a fool? June 30 2008
Post by: connorbd on July 02, 2008, 05:06:51 am
Bullshit3
If Beef wants a moped he should be able to get a goddamned moped. Why's a man got to have what society tells him he should want rather than what he's comfortable with?

You're overthinking the metaphor. Previous argument stands.
Title: Re: WHY must I live like a fool? June 30 2008
Post by: Lister on July 02, 2008, 05:37:37 am
I was going to argue about something, but they are a cartoon cat and an alive stuffed animal in a webcomic.

I'm going to go to bed now, maybe after I find something to eat that hasn't been fried.
Title: Re: WHY must I live like a fool? June 30 2008
Post by: nDed on July 02, 2008, 05:49:35 am
It's really more like Beef asked Téodor to pick out a nice but functional car for him and then later T comes back with the fruitiest, most expensive Miata he could find and then expects Beef to foot the bill.

I can't really see it as anything other than Téodor throwing a bitch fit because Roast Beef was not instantly sucking his culinary cock.
Title: Re: WHY must I live like a fool? June 30 2008
Post by: wombat on July 02, 2008, 01:23:40 pm
T is totally in the wrong here. If he's any good, and if he's really trying to be nice to Beef, he should try to understand his audience, and he clearly doesn't. That food will freak those people out when they're supposed to be having a good time. It's not like giving them something special when they're expecting something ordinary - he's giving them something that will just seem weird and nasty to them. He's being completely self-centered.
Title: Re: WHY must I live like a fool? June 30 2008
Post by: Liz on July 02, 2008, 01:46:57 pm
While I can understand T's feelings, he is ultimately in the wrong. There is little that brings out the righteous fury like working hard on something that you are proud of, and then getting less than the positive response you expected. Thus, his reaction is appropriate vis-a-vis the expected reaction of an alive stuffed bear with little professional experience who has just received an artistic cockblock, but it is hardly admirable.

To insist on your artistic superiority to the detriment of the client's wishes, whether or not it's a friend, is an unprofessional attitude. But this is part and parcel of T's character, no? He is inside of his own head, and artistically driven to the point where he cannot actually apply his talent to any real-world execution. We've seen this many times before. See: the drum set, the Microsoft-is-a-burger-bar-in-1950s-Texas* dream sequence, etc.

Beef shouldn't have lost it at him, but he's not the supposed "professional" here, and the dude did insult his family.


*I may have gotten every fact about this setup wrong, as my attempt to locate the comic for links turned up squat on all points. But you know the thing I'm talking about, right?
Title: Re: WHY must I live like a fool? June 30 2008
Post by: MrCB on July 02, 2008, 02:05:26 pm
the Microsoft-is-a-burger-bar-in-1950s-Texas* dream sequence, etc.

...

*I may have gotten every fact about this setup wrong, as my attempt to locate the comic for links turned up squat on all points. But you know the thing I'm talking about, right?

I do believe that this would be what you're looking for - it was during Onstad's Ware phase at the start of this year.

Here (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=01162008) (bottom row) and continued here (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=01182008)
Title: Re: WHY must I live like a fool? June 30 2008
Post by: Death Ray on July 03, 2008, 04:10:25 pm
I refuse to Google humectant. I will only presume that it is some sort of moisturizing hemorrhoid suppository. I like my definition best.