The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: wombat on July 10, 2008, 01:01:03 pm

Title: Achewood in The New Yorker
Post by: wombat on July 10, 2008, 01:01:03 pm
http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/cartoonlounge/2008/07/an-interview-wi.html (http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/cartoonlounge/2008/07/an-interview-wi.html)

Uh, slight exaggeration there, I think this is "Achewood on the New Yorker website." I will double check this if this week's issue ever gets delivered.

But maybe you kids today don't make sure fine distinctions.
Title: Re: Achewood in The New Yorker
Post by: CortJstr on July 10, 2008, 01:21:22 pm
This was basically unreadable.
Title: Re: Achewood in The New Yorker
Post by: wombat on July 10, 2008, 01:31:40 pm
I thought there was some funny stuff in it. But it reads like it is an unedited email interview, which is not a good thing.
Title: Re: Achewood in The New Yorker
Post by: MrCB on July 10, 2008, 03:16:45 pm
Clearly writing and drawing the Wedding Arc has robbed him of what remained of his sanity.

As far as the comic goes, this can only be a good thing. Interviews, not so much.
Title: Re: Achewood in The New Yorker
Post by: wombat on July 10, 2008, 03:32:41 pm
Goddam, the guy just tries way to frikkkkin' hard on the internet persona sometimes, y'know.

Right. This is why editing is a useful thing. The blogger could have made that interview into a very amusing piece by using just the best parts. But I guess he gets paid the same if he just copies and pastes the email into a post.
Title: Re: Achewood in The New Yorker
Post by: Turbo Ninja on July 10, 2008, 04:57:04 pm
Right. This is why editing is a useful thing. The blogger could have made that interview into a very amusing piece by using just the best parts. But I guess he gets paid the same if he just copies and pastes the email into a post.

I am hopeful Onstad will read the blog and understand how purposely "random" he sounds.  Then he will realize that his comments were not edited for coherence, clarity or wit and he'll do better next time. 

At least he was more cooperative than Nicholas Gurewitch.
Title: Re: Achewood in The New Yorker
Post by: dejavroom on July 10, 2008, 05:17:36 pm
This was basically unreadable.

Yes. Ugh.
Title: Re: Achewood in The New Yorker
Post by: wombat on July 10, 2008, 05:23:14 pm
Then he will realize that his comments were not edited for coherence, clarity or wit and he'll do better next time. 

Speaking as one who is in the business, that's not normally the interviewee's job. Unless the guy made it clear that he was just going to copy the whole email into the blog, I don't blame Onstad.
Title: Re: Achewood in The New Yorker
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on July 11, 2008, 01:42:04 pm
This was basically unreadable.

TL;DR so I didn't have to face that problem, blissfully.
Title: Re: Achewood in The New Yorker
Post by: jaydub on July 11, 2008, 04:41:24 pm
That read like one of the Onion's lame "Ask A ... (http://www.theonion.com/content/node/75689)" columns.
Title: Re: Achewood in The New Yorker
Post by: Cap'n Squeakers on July 11, 2008, 06:34:15 pm
I thought it was pretty funny. Clearly, neither he nor the interviewer cared about being "serious," they were just goofing.  Do you honestly want to read boring answers to normal questions?  Bah, I say.
Title: Re: Achewood in The New Yorker
Post by: pmcd9 on July 11, 2008, 07:16:52 pm
Speaking as one who is in the business, that's not normally the interviewee's job. Unless the guy made it clear that he was just going to copy the whole email into the blog, I don't blame Onstad.

He pretty much says that several times in the interview.
Title: Re: Achewood in The New Yorker
Post by: wombat on July 11, 2008, 07:21:54 pm
Yeah, but it sounds like he's joking, you know?

Of course, for all we know, there was even more un-funny meandering stuff that he did edit out.
Title: Re: Achewood in The New Yorker
Post by: pmcd9 on July 11, 2008, 07:55:26 pm
I don't know how anyone can find any pleasure in watching someone get dressed down by an asshole like Gordon Ramsay. 

What we need more of is less people like Gordon Ramsay, Simon Cowell, Donald Trump, etc...
Title: Re: Achewood in The New Yorker
Post by: wombat on July 11, 2008, 08:12:34 pm
I don't know how anyone can find any pleasure in watching someone get dressed down by an asshole like Gordon Ramsay. 


Onstad misses locking threads at Dumbrella. Watching an asshole yell at people on TV is as close as he can get to reliving it.
Title: Re: Achewood in The New Yorker
Post by: Pedro Picasso on July 11, 2008, 09:20:07 pm
It is unhelpful for Onstad to reveal anything of himself in interviews.  Knowing that at heart he's just a shabby uninteresting schmuck would color the lens through which people read Achewood.  Like when REM explains lyrics in interviews and it totally ruins a song that I was imagining my own background to.  He allowed a photo of himself to be published only because he didn't want the anonymity itself to become a thing. 

Don't dilute the brand.
Title: Re: Achewood in The New Yorker
Post by: CortJstr on July 31, 2008, 08:22:22 pm
http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/cartoonlounge/2008/07/the-duel-part-1.html

The follow-up is at least written in English. Plus I learned that Fresca is supposed to taste like grapefruit. Which is horrible enough on it's own, let alone as an artificial flavor.
Title: Re: Achewood in The New Yorker
Post by: Cap'n Squeakers on August 07, 2008, 07:22:30 pm
It is a pity that the success of Achewood is preventing Onstad from actually producing Achewood comics.