The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: sailor on July 15, 2008, 12:35:20 am

Title: Cooks...check this menu
Post by: sailor on July 15, 2008, 12:35:20 am
I'm throwing a party for the employees and regulars of my watering hole. I wanted to put this up and see if anyone had any suggestions/ideas. I got all the recipes tested and worked out...but i'm looking for perfection. I could do this on a chef or "foodie" board but you know what they say about too many cooks in the kitchen. thanx. (btw the food is all asian-esqe)

apps

honey balsamic grilled melon (maybe some cayanne?)
bbq duck fresh rolls (is cold duck a terrible idea..tastes ok..)
steamed mussels with cilantro and garlic

mains

wasabi crusted salmon fillet
garlic brined pork loin banh mi (vietnamese sandwich)
bbq korean short ribs
bbq spicy pork belly
cold soba noodle salad w/ peppers and long beans

dessert

mudslides w/ chocolate ice cream



that's it. i'm happy to describe any of this in more detail...
Title: Re: Cooks...check this menu
Post by: wombat on July 15, 2008, 01:03:27 am
My thoughts:
Cold duck is good.
I wish you would invite me over.
I'd nitpick about a few things though:
God I'm tired of the balsamic vinegar trend and anyway what's Asian about that?
What's a mudslide?
I'd take fewer choices of main course in exchange for more desserts.  Both short ribs and pork belly? I'd rather lose one for some cake or pie or how about an Asian dessert?
Title: Re: Cooks...check this menu
Post by: sailor on July 15, 2008, 01:27:19 am
if you happen to be in the capitol hill hood of seattle on aug 3rd..come on by.

Balz V is not azn but i'm not too strict on the azn theme. i just wanted to try grilling some melon and thought a honey/balz v glaze would be nice...maybe i'll try honey and lemon...also on that one maybe a lavender or cilantro garnish?

Mudslide (traditional): vodka, kaluha, bailey's, blended with ice. I'm gonna leave some or all of the ice out and use chocolate ice cream.
The reason the dessert is a drink is that the guy who's house i'm doing this at told be specically that when he hosts a dinner party he wants to get everyone out quickly after the meal. I would have done something a little more elaborate but hey, it's his house...and the idea is once dinner is over we all head to the bar we are celebrating.

i know it's a lot of pork. But the guy who is gonna be my sous-chef of this party is korean and he really wants to do the ribs and belly. which is fine with me cuz a) i know he's gonna do it up right, b) many people have never had non-bacon pork belly and will love that fatty fat goodness, c) it's an outdoor deal which means we gotta Q some shit up.
Title: Re: Cooks...check this menu
Post by: wombat on July 15, 2008, 01:46:07 am
Tragically that is the Capitol Hill of the wrong Washington.

Really, there is no such thing as too much pork. I don't object to that as such. Just the fact that there's too little dessert. But if going to a bar after dinner is the point, my priorities are clearly different from yours.

BTW not to derail your thread but that reminds me... I finally ordered some Bacon Salt. I haven't tasted it yet but the bad news is, it smells an awful lot like Pup-peroni.
Title: Re: Cooks...check this menu
Post by: sailor on July 15, 2008, 02:05:31 am
We have this great outfit here in seattle where these chefs bought an Airsteam trailer, gutted it, and installed a kitchen inside. They haul this shiny silver beauty to various loctions and sell amazing food. For lunch today I had their Kobe burger with arugula, cambrazola (sp?) and...BACON JAM. The stuff is awesome!

 skilletstreetfood.com (http://skilletstreetfood.com)
Title: Re: Cooks...check this menu
Post by: pmcd9 on July 24, 2008, 02:49:17 am
I discovered this today on flickr...

Chicken Fried Bacon (http://www.flickr.com/photos/yi/501752437/)
Title: Re: Cooks...check this menu
Post by: wombat on July 24, 2008, 12:25:42 pm
OMG. If I am ever on death row and they ask me what I want for my last meal.... that's it.

Update on the bacon salt: Tried it on eggs, peanut butter sandwich, and straight from the jar... I forget what else. Not good on anything so far.
Title: Re: Cooks...check this menu
Post by: Doc on July 24, 2008, 12:49:07 pm
peanut butter sandwich

Are.... are you alright?
Title: Re: Cooks...check this menu
Post by: wombat on July 24, 2008, 01:31:43 pm
Have you never had a peanut butter and bacon sandwich? It's awesome. I guess it sounds bizarre but it's one of those weird combinations that takes on a life of its own.

Title: Re: Cooks...check this menu
Post by: Doc on July 24, 2008, 01:37:51 pm
I'll keep that in mind. I was just imagining a really salty peanut butter sandwich with a vague bacony taste and that doesn't seem good.
Title: Re: Cooks...check this menu
Post by: wombat on July 24, 2008, 01:46:17 pm
Yeah, well, unfortunately, the Bacon Salt version was worse than that - PB with a vague fake bacony taste. It wasn't too salty because I used unsalted PB, but it still didn't work.

The next plan is to try it on popcorn, but I don't have high hopes.
Title: Re: Cooks...check this menu
Post by: Doc on July 24, 2008, 03:30:13 pm
unfortunately, the Bacon Salt version was worse than that

There are tiny sad tears being cried somewhere because of this.
Title: Re: Cooks...check this menu
Post by: Choop on July 25, 2008, 06:38:06 am
yeah i was way disappointed in bacon salt. probably because it's kosher.
Title: Re: Cooks...check this menu
Post by: Ben-San on July 25, 2008, 07:30:24 am
Wait wait what.

Is it actually kosher (has the little insignia on the label) or is it kosher salt as in the large-grained form of salt used for kashering meat?

If the latter, it's not too surprising. If the former, there is more than one problem.
Title: Re: Cooks...check this menu
Post by: wombat on July 25, 2008, 11:31:49 am
It's kosher because it's totally artificial flavor - no real bacon. Which is no doubt why it smells like Pup-peroni.
Title: Re: Cooks...check this menu
Post by: jay-ell on July 25, 2008, 02:23:57 pm
Bacos are also kosher, as well as vegan. 

This is why I don't eat Bacos. 
Title: Re: Cooks...check this menu
Post by: pmcd9 on July 25, 2008, 04:31:08 pm
Bacos are... ok, but they don't in any way taste like bacon.
Title: Re: Cooks...check this menu
Post by: Ben-San on July 25, 2008, 10:23:12 pm
Even I can tell there is a Problem there. If the idea is to make something taste like bacon why is no bacon involved? That is Not The Way You Do It.
Title: Re: Cooks...check this menu
Post by: pmcd9 on July 26, 2008, 01:47:07 am
I think that's the whole point innit.  To make a substitute for bacon.
Title: Re: Cooks...check this menu
Post by: Lister on July 28, 2008, 08:32:04 pm
I think that's the whole point innit.  To make a substitute for bacon.

To make a substitute for bacon.

a substitute for bacon.

substitute bacon

This... this is a horror that can not be unmade.  It must be destroyed.  Its perpetrators shall be purged from this earth and made unwelcome in the next.  No blow shall be stayed, no quarter given.  One can hope that will be enough.
Title: Re: Cooks...check this menu
Post by: wombat on July 28, 2008, 09:32:09 pm
Well, if you put it that way... But their motto is "Everything should taste like bacon." I mean, who could argue with that?
Title: Re: Cooks...check this menu
Post by: pmcd9 on July 29, 2008, 02:05:28 am
I'm giving you a tiny strip of bacon for that post lister.
Title: Re: Cooks...check this menu
Post by: CortJstr on July 29, 2008, 02:22:29 am
Well, if you put it that way... But their motto is "Everything should taste like bacon." I mean, who could argue with that?

The makers of flavored sex gels? Ben & Jerry? Auntie Ann? The Girls Scouts of America?


They ain't called Thin Bacons for a reason
Title: Re: Cooks...check this menu
Post by: wombat on July 29, 2008, 12:35:35 pm
The makers of flavored sex gels?

Why? What would be wrong with that?
Title: Re: Cooks...check this menu
Post by: jaydub on July 29, 2008, 05:02:37 pm
Teeth!
Title: Re: Cooks...check this menu
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on July 31, 2008, 04:44:36 am
http://s3.amazonaws.com/wootsaleimages/J_D_s_Bacon_Salt_Sampler___3_PackufyStandard.jpg (http://s3.amazonaws.com/wootsaleimages/J_D_s_Bacon_Salt_Sampler___3_PackufyStandard.jpg)
Today's woot.com offer is 3 flavors of bacon salt for $7
Title: Re: Cooks...check this menu
Post by: Choop on July 31, 2008, 06:03:33 am
i saw that - today was a w00toff, and they sold out of bacon salt in like 3 minutes. i pity those poor souls when they find out how awful it really is
Title: Re: Cooks...check this menu
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on August 08, 2008, 06:34:56 pm

honey balsamic grilled melon (maybe some cayanne?)


There's a spice, my Mexican steprelatives use on fruit. I'm not sure what it's called but it's a mixture of red pepper flakes, lemon and *something*. Goes great on melon.
Title: Re: Cooks...check this menu
Post by: wombat on August 08, 2008, 07:15:57 pm
I never thought I'd say this but: Bobby! Not enough information!
Title: Re: Cooks...check this menu
Post by: jough on August 08, 2008, 10:49:38 pm
Lister, five cans for this, that made me laugh out extremely loud.

This... this is a horror that can not be unmade.  It must be destroyed.  Its perpetrators shall be purged from this earth and made unwelcome in the next.  No blow shall be stayed, no quarter given.  One can hope that will be enough.
Title: Re: Cooks...check this menu
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on August 09, 2008, 02:21:26 am
I never thought I'd say this but: Bobby! Not enough information!

Red pepper flakes, lemon and salt. I forgot the name.
Title: Re: Cooks...check this menu
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on August 09, 2008, 02:34:51 am
Red pepper flakes, lemon and salt. I forgot the name.
I have this spice, I use it as part of my beer butt chicken mix. Its delicious. No one tell her what its called.
Title: Re: Cooks...check this menu
Post by: wombat on August 09, 2008, 02:58:41 pm
Now what did I ever do to A-cap that would make him be such a meany#####.
Title: Re: Cooks...check this menu
Post by: pmcd9 on August 13, 2008, 07:20:26 pm
He wants to serve it to you himself.
Title: Re: Cooks...check this menu
Post by: TripperDay on September 11, 2008, 01:55:48 pm
Bacos are... ok, but they don't in any way taste like bacon.

Kind of like Jolly Ranchers. Do they taste like watermelon or green apple? Oh no. Do they taste pretty good? Oh yes.

Excellent menu, btw.
Title: Re: Cooks...check this menu
Post by: wombat on September 11, 2008, 03:53:53 pm
My final words on Bacon Salt. (http://snackerrific.com/snack-review-bacon-salt/249)
Title: Re: Cooks...check this menu
Post by: Ruta Bagas on September 11, 2008, 04:43:22 pm
Why would anyone want a non-conventional seasoning other than Spepper? (http://www.originalspepper.com/)

Quote
My boyfriend and I were cooking. Our recipe said "Salt and Pepper to taste". We looked at each other, and said "SPEPPER TO TASTE!"