The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: Asherdan on July 16, 2008, 08:18:02 pm
-
(http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--k5m636Zb--/m5dvkzj95cd6xl0k4nnx.gif)
-
I know I have confessed to this before, but while snowed in, Pedro and I discovered that 1 part Triple Sec to 2 parts Raspberry Crystal Light = Evilicious.
However, if you drink too much of it (easy to do because it's so sweet) and puke it up, you will appear to be bleeding internally due to the vivid red hue of your stomach contents.
Also, do not underestimate the wonder of Jello shooters.
-
Also, do not underestimate the wonder of Jello shooters.
Yea, says you and sorority girls. So, unfortunately even at an all male college there is a large supply of jello shooters.
I think the lowest drink is Brass Monkey (40oz Old English + Orange Juice). Personally Ill try anything once, but I stick to the old gentleman classics.
-
I think I may have discovered that eating sunflower seeds whole (well, chewing them up first) results in...intestinal scratches...
My cupholder for hulls had gotten full the other day, so I resorted to swallowing the entire kit & caboodle. Either I've scratched myself where the sun don't shine as a result, or I ate something with a ton of red food coloring that I can't recall. I'll be keeping an eye out for a day or so I imagine.
-
Here at the Home for Scared People we are not adventurous with our alcohol. Yesterday the Technical Staff suggested making mojitos with fancy grapefruit soda because we didn't have any club soda. This seemed not completely out of the question, but radical enough that I needed a few days to think about it. I said I'd let him know and in the meantime, he should buy some club soda.
-
Story Time: I walked around parties with a can beer in one hand and a bottle of something, often Johnny Walker, in the other. My specialty was topping off the beer with the bottle until it reached non-dilute status.
Thank goodness you posted this. Merely reading it has raised my blood alcohol level enough to expunge from my consciousness the unfortunate imagery jaydub posted upthread.
-
Story Time: I walked around parties with a can beer in one hand and a bottle of something, often Johnny Walker, in the other. My specialty was topping off the beer with the bottle until it reached non-dilute status.
I have a friend like this. He came to visit recently, it was fun. Often his combo was like Rich and Rare and Miller High Life, though he knew how to drink classy too.
I pretty much only drink low these days. PBR Tall Boys, 40s, the aforementioned Brass Monkey (every Saturday with kick ball) etc.
-
I pretty much only drink low these days. PBR Tall Boys, 40s, the aforementioned Brass Monkey (every Saturday with kick ball) etc.
How do you not live in Portland?
-
Well, I do live in Boulder.
-
I'm another person who isn't that exciting with my booze. A whiskey and dry will do me nine times out of ten. I think the main reason for this is that I find very sweet alcohol kind of sickly, I down cola like a late 90s sysadmin but rum and coke or scotch and coke or anything like that just makes my tastebuds go 'no thankyou, send that back'.
-
If I have a handle of Jack and a 12-pack of Coke, I have what I need. Some would mock my need for the Coke, but I've never been hardcore enough to drink alcohol straight in any amount higher than a shot's worth.
In my heavier drinking days, we used to pound back Bacardi Razz and Coke. Good times.
Worst drink I ever made was the Dr. Peppermint Schnapps. I just told you how to make it. The first and so far only time my sweet tooth has EVER said, "We've gone too far."
-
Worst drink I ever made was the Dr. Peppermint Schnapps. I just told you how to make it. The first and so far only time my sweet tooth has EVER said, "We've gone too far."
Clearly you've never had a rainbow Nerds Blizzard from DQ. I tried one when I was like 7 and it was so sweet it made me pucker.
-
If I have a handle of Jack and a 12-pack of Coke, I have what I need. Some would mock my need for the Coke, but I've never been hardcore enough to drink alcohol straight in any amount higher than a shot's worth.
And Jack has the balls to say its a "sippin' whiskey" right on the bottle. I dont know any one who has ever "sipped" jack daniels in a leisurely way.
-
I down cola like a late 90s sysadmin
There's something vaguely disorienting for giving you a can of Dr Pepper for this but... I think I can handle it.
I was going to say that I have never put alcohol in Coke, but there is something called a Texas Tea at one place we go that I think must have coke in it. But you can't really taste it as such, I think it's just barely enough to make it tea-colored, so I am not sure that counts.
-
And Jack has the balls to say its a "sippin' whiskey" right on the bottle. I dont know any one who has ever "sipped" jack daniels in a leisurely way.
You didn't know Pedro's grandfather, then.
Clearly.
-
I was going to say that I have never put alcohol in Coke, but there is something called a Texas Tea at one place we go that I think must have coke in it. But you can't really taste it as such, I think it's just barely enough to make it tea-colored, so I am not sure that counts.
That sounds vaguely like a drink we have in Texas called a Long Island Iced Tea.
-
That sounds vaguely like a drink we have in Texas called a Long Island Iced Tea.
As a bartender, I learned the L.I.T. contains every clear liquor + a "splash" of coke. Thus, whenever I see a high priced bar serving L.I.Ts on the mixed drink list, I pounce on that beauty.
-
I forgot about the long island iced tea.
That is one example of very sweet booze I do enjoy.
It was not atypical back in the day for my nights to start at the city's cheapest gay bar seeing how quickly I could down their LITs before 10:30 hit and they upped their prices. Good times.
-
Cheap tequila. Cheap sour mix. Ice (free). Combine. Swill. Wobble.
-
Don't LITs have sweet and sour in them also? I know there is another mixer.
Either way they are delicious.
-
Wikipedia says that there's lemon juice in there but... y'know.
It also says that Obama "is an Islam" and that Sailor Moon was based on a true story.
-
That sounds vaguely like a drink we have in Texas called a Long Island Iced Tea.
Yeah, the name is some kind of joke about that, at a restaurant that pretends it is from Texas. It probably makes more sense once you've had a couple of drinks.
Tonight: We are bravely going to try putting rum in the grapefruit soda! Whooo!
-
I most typically drink Manhattans at home, and the occasional vanilla martini. Vanilla vodka, straight up out the freezer, float three coffee beans in it.
Something I haven't had in a long time, that sounds totally foofy and nasty but is actually grelicious is the Alien Secretion. Equal parts Midori, coconut rum, and pineapple juice. It's a lovely shade of yellowish-green.
When I tended bar back in the day, people told me I made the best Long Island Ice Teas in town. "What's your secret?" they'd ask? Ain't no secret, just shitload of booze. A healthy dose of rum, a healthy dose of gin, a little less tequila because you feel like you're pouring too much, a little more vodka because you feel bad for not putting in so much tequila, a splash of triple sec, a splash of sour mix, top it off with Coke and a slice o' lemon. Two of those and you are done.
-
Yep, here's your giant glass of 80 proof liquor. Drink up! I guess the main difference between a L.I.T and a Zombie is that you actually are picking out just the clear boozes to put in it.
-
I most typically drink Manhattans at home, and the occasional vanilla martini. Vanilla vodka, straight up out the freezer, float three coffee beans in it.
The team devised a drink that involved using the physics department to impress women.
Place coffee beans and vanilla beans on table. Place wine glass upside down over the beans. Aim high output laser at the beans. A mist will develop, coating the wine glass. Pour wine into wine glass.
This worked so well that we eventually bought a wickedlasers.com laser and coated all kinds of glasses in all kinds of mists. Women evidently loved this physics, and felt compelled to "taste" every combination we came up with. One after the other. In rapid pace.
-
Indeed, what we need more of is science!
-
Oh man, Long Island Ice Teas are great. There is something magic about them. The proper combination, and it mysteriously tastes like there is actually nothing boozey or cola based in them.
Last night, I had something so damn fine to drink. I was all for the standard Tom Collins last night, but then I remembered I had a bag of Key Limes in the fridge. I cheaped out and went for Sprite instead of lemon juice, syrup and soda. because it was late, and I was out of syrup and didn't want to make more, so my expecations were low, but I was so very pleased. Key Lime and Gin, where have you been all my life? I wanted to drink 9 or more of those, but I had an interview on national radio and had to get up at 5 am, so I settled for two as night caps. I did briefly consider just staying up all night drinking and going to the interview all plastered for fun, but the station has been so nice to me and been so good about promoting my work that I didn't want to be a total jerk ass.
So was what I was drinking a Lime Rickey? It seems to me the flavour of the Key Lime is so distinctly different from a regular lime that this isn't the same drink. Anyway, I love this drink. It is my new thing.
-
Report: Rum in grapefruit soda: does not improve either the rum or the grapefruit soda.
While digging in the fridge for the club soda to make a normal mojito I discovered we have a small bottle of tonic water. Neither of us can remember why - we never drink anything with tonic water. What should I do with it?
Also, mojitos. So trendy. I wonder why people haven't started screwing around with the idea more. Like, crazy Americans make "pesto" with herbs other than basil, but I haven't seen mojito-like drinks with herbs other than mint. I have some lemon verbena growing in the yard that's awfully nice. Should I go for it?
-
Also, mojitos. So trendy. I wonder why people haven't started screwing around with the idea more. Like, crazy Americans make "pesto" with herbs other than basil, but I haven't seen mojito-like drinks with herbs other than mint. I have some lemon verbena growing in the yard that's awfully nice. Should I go for it?
I just saw in some magazine (Veg. Times, I think) where they advocate making "pesto" with arugula. That so horrible and wrong they should be legally obligated to spell pesto wrong, like with Cheeze Whiz.
-
That so horrible and wrong they should be legally obligated to spell pesto wrong, like with Cheeze Whiz.
Oh, good idea.
If I try the lemon verbena maybe I'll have to call it a 'vojito' then. Maybe I better check first that that isn't a bad word in Spanish.
-
I'm still trying to figure out what a shrimp fajita is?