The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: wombat on July 24, 2008, 12:23:16 pm

Title: This is a stressful time, and you may get shingles - July 24 2008
Post by: wombat on July 24, 2008, 12:23:16 pm
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=07242008 (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=07242008)

I feel sorry for Nice Pete. Is this a slippery slope?
Title: Re: This is a stressful time, and you may get shingles - July 24 2008
Post by: stringph on July 24, 2008, 12:50:03 pm

He seems to be shouting a Tenmen tune from sheer frustration - Compare the schematical graphic depictions of musical notes.
Or, he is so distracted by the Tenmen's music that, despite his literary gift, he cannot describe Asti Spumante without obvious misspeaking.

Why must he abuse his hair so? The hair lies so close to the brain, its influence cannot be ignored.


Title: Re: This is a stressful time, and you may get shingles - July 24 2008
Post by: piecewise on July 24, 2008, 12:53:25 pm
Holy crap, it's Nice Pete! I did not even recognise him. I feel awful about this.

I'm also not a huge fan of the panning-up-to-accomodate-for-speech-bubbles in panel 13... I've a suspicion that it's a normal happening and it's just this particular instance that's bugging me. Still.

He seems to be shouting a Tenmen tune from sheer frustration - Compare the schematical graphic depictions of musical notes.

I imagined it to be an amazing continuation-of-sound segue, but in comic format!
Title: Re: This is a stressful time, and you may get shingles - July 24 2008
Post by: Doc on July 24, 2008, 12:57:46 pm
I feel sorry for Nice Pete too. You can always see something of yourself in a well written psychopath, that's why Chopping block is so good.

Iowerth is getting creepy. Then again maybe we'll never see li'l nephew again and no one will mention it and all will be well.

Molly's weird boniness is creeping me the fuck out.
Title: Re: This is a stressful time, and you may get shingles - July 24 2008
Post by: revdj on July 24, 2008, 01:06:21 pm
This whole past couple of weeks have been, in my opinion, achewood at its best.  And I've been reading since Roast Beef went to the moon. (and the archives, duh).

It truly is amazing.
Title: Re: This is a stressful time, and you may get shingles - July 24 2008
Post by: pmcd9 on July 24, 2008, 03:11:55 pm
Molly and Beef and both having a great time.  I'm glad to see that.  I hope LN's murder doesn't intrude on their happiness.

I for one am totally looking forward to LN's adventure in Wales.
Title: Re: This is a stressful time, and you may get shingles - July 24 2008
Post by: Doc on July 24, 2008, 03:28:55 pm
So I guess Wales is somewhere you go when you die now? That actually works pretty well for me.
Title: Re: This is a stressful time, and you may get shingles - July 24 2008
Post by: Dangermoose on July 24, 2008, 03:31:26 pm
This will be a chance for LN to grow up and learn to buck real trade.  Ray has clearly been too soft on him.

Too bad he needs to be murdered to learn life's lessons.
Title: Re: This is a stressful time, and you may get shingles - July 24 2008
Post by: colmore on July 24, 2008, 05:54:25 pm
This is Achewood.  Murdered is totally where you go to grow and find yourself.
Title: Re: This is a stressful time, and you may get shingles - July 24 2008
Post by: Dangermoose on July 24, 2008, 06:51:49 pm
This is Achewood.  Murdered is totally where you go to grow and find yourself.

Very true.  Does Philippe remain stunted and five because they didn't let Nice Pete murder him?  And because that Airwolf missile was a dud?  Is Philippe's not being murdered yet the real saddest thing?
Title: Re: This is a stressful time, and you may get shingles - July 24 2008
Post by: jaydub on July 24, 2008, 08:26:01 pm
Molly's dancing makes me think of hippy girls in the quad at Humboldt State circa 1989.

(http://bohemianabstractions.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/natural-me.gif?w=200&h=230)
Title: Re: This is a stressful time, and you may get shingles - July 24 2008
Post by: pmcd9 on July 25, 2008, 05:27:48 am
Nah JD, her moves are more smooth than that.  Think Sade.
Title: Re: This is a stressful time, and you may get shingles - July 24 2008
Post by: weareas1 on July 25, 2008, 08:50:09 pm
Nice to see the Tenmen showing up at the wing-ding.  I hope they played their fuzzed-out version of the Capenters' "We've only just begun" for the first dance.  However, for a band for whom "even the drum is a Rickenbacker", don't you think they should be playing through Rickenbacker amps?  In particular, Rick made an amazingly futuristic (for 1968, that is) amp called the Transonic.  Its strange trapezoidal stying and ultra-jangly solid-state tone would have been perfect for the three Men of Ten.  There's probably never been a cooler looking guitar amp, and they're rare as HELL.  C'mon, Onstad, guitar geeks are paying attention...

http://www.rickenbacker.com/gallery_image.asp?archive_id=898&gallery_year=1960 (http://www.rickenbacker.com/gallery_image.asp?archive_id=898&gallery_year=1960)

Title: Re: This is a stressful time, and you may get shingles - July 24 2008
Post by: pmcd9 on July 26, 2008, 01:57:11 am
That amp kicks ass!!!
Title: Re: This is a stressful time, and you may get shingles - July 24 2008
Post by: Dangermoose on July 26, 2008, 06:19:17 am
(http://bohemianabstractions.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/natural-me.gif?w=200&h=230)

Gah!  I think that's actually the sign for a grocery store where I went to college.
Title: Re: This is a stressful time, and you may get shingles - July 24 2008
Post by: littlefallsmets on July 26, 2008, 08:42:19 am
Actually, I think that's what pops up over The Kids In The Hall's Scott Thompson's shoulder when facing a difficult decision... like instead of a devil, that pops up. Over the other shoulder, another one of that thing pops up, too, and they completely agree.
Title: Re: This is a stressful time, and you may get shingles - July 24 2008
Post by: jlk7e on July 28, 2008, 05:05:46 pm
Is it just me, or is Nice Pete's rehearsal reminiscent of Luca Brasi at the beginning of the Godfather?

"Don Corleone, I am honored and grateful that you have invited me to your home on the wedding day of your daughter. And may their first child be a masculine child."

Which he then repeats in slightly different forms several times.
Title: Re: This is a stressful time, and you may get shingles - July 24 2008
Post by: Toaster on July 28, 2008, 07:08:52 pm
I didn't even know that was Nice Pete! I was wondering who that was. I was like, "Who's that?"
Title: Re: This is a stressful time, and you may get shingles - July 24 2008
Post by: jaydub on July 28, 2008, 07:24:00 pm
I'm pretty sure that was the meme Onstad was referencing, with NP's upswept, graying sideburn'd hair and stilted speech pattern.