The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: theinevitable on July 26, 2008, 04:37:55 pm

Title: Campfire-style jamz
Post by: theinevitable on July 26, 2008, 04:37:55 pm
So, I am really bad at making kids happy by playing my guitar.
If they want to listen to faked bossa-nova, they are happy. Otherwise, it's just a jukebox where they say "play the beginning of Heartbreaker!" "do that thing where you play the notes really fast! (folky-rock arpeggios)".

So, basically, can you guys suggest some good campfire-style jamz. All of the classics are represented at camp, so I would hope to find something new, or old but not played at camp.
Popular already:
"Wagon Wheel" by Old Crow Medicine Show (this song is amazing, I love it)
lots of Dylan
lots of Dave Matthews
"Country Roads"
lots of indigo girls
"Paradise" by John Prine
lots of Dar Williams

Any ideas? I am working on learning some Carter Family songs, but they are largely too Jesusy to be OK.
I am thinking about some Sondre Lerche and Sufjan Stevens, but I am trying hard not to be the indie rock douche at camp (someone else has that title).
Title: Re: Campfire-style jamz
Post by: pmcd9 on July 26, 2008, 10:33:13 pm
I don't know what classics are represented, but...

Blackbird, Yesterday, Rocky Raccoon - The Beatles

Delia's Gone - JC

Ok, I thought I could think of more, but that's all I got right now...
Title: Re: Campfire-style jamz
Post by: littlefallsmets on July 27, 2008, 01:16:11 am
Are the only people attending your camp lesbians and frat boys who think they're progressive, Nev?

The listing you've provided suggests this.
Title: Re: Campfire-style jamz
Post by: jay-ell on July 27, 2008, 02:06:10 am
Two words:

Johnny Cash. 
Title: Re: Campfire-style jamz
Post by: theinevitable on July 29, 2008, 03:36:33 am
well, see, LFM, when I was a camper here the people who work here were all leftover hippies, or wannabe hippies.
now they are just kind of a random mix of college kids. who like Dave Matthews.
Title: Re: Campfire-style jamz
Post by: KeithHernandez on July 29, 2008, 07:31:01 am
I heard Dave Matthews today on accident.  Ugh.
Title: Re: Campfire-style jamz
Post by: littlefallsmets on July 29, 2008, 07:54:38 am
Man, that's even worse than my experience, accidentally hearing "Drops of Jupiter" by... whoever... and having that stuck in my head allllll day. Better than "Crash" but... not by much.
Title: Re: Campfire-style jamz
Post by: Choop on July 29, 2008, 08:25:44 am
thanks for THAT earworm, lfm
Title: Re: Campfire-style jamz
Post by: wombat on July 29, 2008, 12:37:49 pm
Speaking of earworms:  Can we make it illegal, please, to title a movie after an Abba song and then advertise it everywhere?
Title: Re: Campfire-style jamz
Post by: CortJstr on July 29, 2008, 01:23:36 pm
Man, that's even worse than my experience, accidentally hearing "Drops of Jupiter" by... whoever... and having that stuck in my head allllll day. Better than "Crash" but... not by much.

For years I thought that Train was a one-hit-wonder. Because the radio station I listened to in the late 90's played the crap out of Drops of Jupiter, but nothing else by that band, ever. And after about 4 months they even dropped that song. It wasn't until later while talking about one-hit-wonders with friends that I learned that the other radio stations in town indeed played many, many, many other songs by that band. They even had more than one album, apparently.

Also, DMB is annoying but damn Ants Marching is a catchy fun song. They were supposed to play a free hometown show when I was in college but the university turned them down because they knew the ticket lines would be horrendous and disrupt classes for days. But they had no problems with people spending 3 days in line to hear the Dalai Lama. At least their priorities are straight.
Title: Re: Campfire-style jamz
Post by: robot_god on July 31, 2008, 11:55:37 pm
Blind Melon - No Rain,
the two Blues Traveler hits,
umm, House of the Rising Sun.

ummm

some Steve Miller Band hits?
Title: Re: Campfire-style jamz
Post by: theinevitable on August 19, 2008, 04:42:48 pm
good lord, the Avett Brothers.

Oh man, so good. SO GOOD.
Title: Re: Campfire-style jamz
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on October 01, 2008, 01:51:01 pm
Zombie music thread!  Whoooo!

good lord, the Avett Brothers.

Oh man, so good. SO GOOD.

I picked up "Second Gleam" off of eMusic, and thought much the same thing.  Kind of an early Iron & Wine feel, very pretty and a little melancholy.  But then I got "Mignonette," their new full-length, and it's more a straight-up bluegrass record, which is OK but not altogether my thing.  So is the bulk of their material the latter or the former?

Also, The Twilight Sad.  Scottish emo band.  Hells yes.
Title: Re: Campfire-style jamz
Post by: theinevitable on October 01, 2008, 02:47:58 pm
most people I know seem to think that The Second Gleam isn't at all as good as their other stuff.

Songs I suggest: Die Die Die, At the Beach, Weight of Lies, swept away.

Most people like Emotionalism the most, I believe. I haven't listened to enough beyond those songs I listed above.

But come on, one of their songs has a vocal saying "die die die, die die die die!" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXNNsbUhN-U) in a way that's so beautiful but so sad and yet happy... oh man. And when the second brother comes in at the beginning with that harmony part... oh lord. and the banjo. shit.
Title: Re: Campfire-style jamz
Post by: lprkn on October 01, 2008, 02:58:07 pm
But come on, one of their songs has a vocal saying "die die die, die die die die!" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXNNsbUhN-U) in a way that's so beautiful but so sad and yet happy... oh man. And when the second brother comes in at the beginning with that harmony part... oh lord. and the banjo. shit.

The only other songs that I can think of like that are metal songs.

You should (have played) play some Yusuf Islam, I hear that guy's pretty popular for singing along. But it's kind of douchey sometimes, too.
Title: Re: Campfire-style jamz
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 01, 2008, 07:58:27 pm
Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard and other Paul Simon and or without Art Gunfarkel songs are pretty good singalongs.