The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: CortJstr on July 31, 2008, 08:20:14 pm

Title: July 31, 2008 - You're like chow mein, man!
Post by: CortJstr on July 31, 2008, 08:20:14 pm
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=07312008

I had no idea the Dilbert people were so lawsuit happy. Paws, Inc? Hell yeah. They can't really wake up in the morning without filing a lawsuit first. It's like coffee to them.

But you never really hear anybody talk about Dilbert lawsuits. Or Dilbert at all, really.
Title: Re: July 31, 2008 - You're like chow mein, man!
Post by: Turbo Ninja on July 31, 2008, 08:56:42 pm
My sophomore-year roommate in the dorms was a freshman tuba player who had, for some reason unknowable and unthinkable to anyone who didn't actually have to work for incompetent boobs at a cubicle farm for 60 hours a week, a bizarre attachment to Dilbert cartoons.

"You are 20 years old," I'd tell him.  "You should be wondering what it's like to smoke vodka-soaked weed and trying to pay for the pinball machine you broke at the Cat's Eye because the pool cue flew farther than you thought it would.  This is no time to be getting chuckles from gags about Human Resources or how much you love coffee."

Eventually a single opened up in our building and I basically kicked him into it.  My room was awesome from the rest of the year.

I hope he now has one of those shitty desk jobs, and I hope he isn't laughing anymore.

If Dilbert had a mouth, I'd tell him to eat a fat one.
Title: Re: July 31, 2008 - You're like chow mein, man!
Post by: gearnest on August 01, 2008, 01:56:54 am
Note the "tongue-sticking-out-while-writing" Peanuts homage in the last frame.  Nice.
Title: Re: July 31, 2008 - You're like chow mein, man!
Post by: Golfhaus on August 01, 2008, 02:31:26 am
I, like Cort, didn't know there was a trend toward lawsuits dealing with Dilbert. In fact, seven of the first ten Yahoo hits for "Dilbert lawsuit" were various reposts of this story (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22328272/). The worst that "Dilbert copyright infringement" brings is what I imagine is standard United Media boilerplate.

I wonder if Onstad is testing his influence... if three months from now Dilbert/Scott Adams/etc. has developed a reputation for being lawsuit happy, he'll know the power he commands.
Title: Re: July 31, 2008 - You're like chow mein, man!
Post by: Drygioni on August 01, 2008, 01:54:35 pm
My sophomore-year roommate in the dorms was a freshman tuba player who had, for some reason unknowable and unthinkable to anyone who didn't actually have to work for incompetent boobs at a cubicle farm for 60 hours a week, a bizarre attachment to Dilbert cartoons.

"You are 20 years old," I'd tell him.  "You should be wondering what it's like to smoke vodka-soaked weed and trying to pay for the pinball machine you broke at the Cat's Eye because the pool cue flew farther than you thought it would.  This is no time to be getting chuckles from gags about Human Resources or how much you love coffee."

Eventually a single opened up in our building and I basically kicked him into it.  My room was awesome from the rest of the year.

I hope he now has one of those shitty desk jobs, and I hope he isn't laughing anymore.

If Dilbert had a mouth, I'd tell him to eat a fat one.

You beauty.
Title: Re: July 31, 2008 - You're like chow mein, man!
Post by: Undertoad on August 01, 2008, 02:13:14 pm
The burn in this strip is panel 5.  Dilbert hasn't been funny for a long, long time.  The reason is, when it was funny, it was because Adams got all his material from people sending him ideas from their own workplaces.  Now he's out of the zeitgeist and nobody is sending him ideas, and so Dilbert sucks.  Kudos to Scott Adams for coming up with the character that everybody wanted at the time everybody wanted it, but it's over now.
Title: Re: July 31, 2008 - You're like chow mein, man!
Post by: Harlock Hero on August 01, 2008, 03:50:43 pm
The "big Dilbert lawsuit" that I recall is the one that the author of the webcomic Leisuretown got slapped with. Basically, in one episode of Leisuretown, "A Comedy Crisis", the main character goes nutso and runs around slapping up obscene Dilbert parody strips all over the place. The artist got hella sued for this and the comic has since kind of vanished (not necessarily implying causation here).

Luckily, the parodies remain:

http://please.leisuretown.us/dilhole.html
Title: Re: July 31, 2008 - You're like chow mein, man!
Post by: littlefallsmets on August 01, 2008, 03:59:44 pm
Yeah, the idea of writing toward a certain situation, making your bread at it and isolating you entirely from said subject matter, rendering you a pale echo of yourself creatively but riding it out because that's what made you rich... yeah, that is an interesting and frequent tale in Hollywood.

He can basically eat a dickbert, yeah.
Title: Re: July 31, 2008 - You're like chow mein, man!
Post by: Turbo Ninja on August 01, 2008, 05:31:46 pm
Luckily, the parodies remain:

http://please.leisuretown.us/dilhole.html

I wonder how long it would take for someone to notice if I printed off one of those and stuck it to the wall next to the coffee maker, next to the other seven or eight cartoons I can't imagine anyone actually reads.  They'd see Dilbert's celery-stalk-looking head in the context of three panels and just assume that it was a shallow gag about desk ergonomics (this is how I believe 99% of all print cartoon strips are consumed).

I'd put the over/under at one full week before someone took it down and made a report to HR about inappropriate or offensive language in the breakroom.
Title: Re: July 31, 2008 - You're like chow mein, man!
Post by: colmore on August 01, 2008, 07:09:31 pm
Liesuretown, by the way, was the first great webcomic.  A beautiful artifact from the dot com era.  The arc 'Q.A. Confidential' is one of the best things on the internet.

Enough hyberbole?

[edit: spelling]
Title: Re: July 31, 2008 - You're like chow mein, man!
Post by: Harlock Hero on August 02, 2008, 12:25:59 am
Liesuretown, by the way, was the first great webcomic.  A beautiful artifact from the dot com era.  The arc 'Q.A. Confidential' is one of the best things on the internet.

Enough hyberbole?

[edit: spelling]

Not enough by half! While I was always most partial to "Winter Paegant", "Q.A. Confidential" was definitely one of the most memorable of them all. I should actually like, search for an archive of these strips one day - I'm sure one exists.
Title: Re: July 31, 2008 - You're like chow mein, man!
Post by: oball on August 02, 2008, 01:24:25 am
Luckily, the parodies remain:

http://please.leisuretown.us/dilhole.html

Those are brilliant.
Title: Re: July 31, 2008 - You're like chow mein, man!
Post by: smick on August 04, 2008, 10:53:16 pm
Not enough by half! While I was always most partial to "Winter Paegant", "Q.A. Confidential" was definitely one of the most memorable of them all. I should actually like, search for an archive of these strips one day - I'm sure one exists.

I believe I have a Dot Zip file sitting somewhere, from back when the site was about to shut down.   He basically said "Here, you take this.  I'm done with it."

I'll see what I can do about it finding its way from me to you.
Title: Re: July 31, 2008 - You're like chow mein, man!
Post by: Death Ray on August 12, 2008, 06:21:16 pm
If Scott Adams is really that lawsuit happy, I guess I will probably be getting a cease and desist for this panel.

(http://www.whatisdeepfried.com/MEDIA/horns.jpg)