The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: linnea on August 10, 2008, 10:48:12 am

Title: Some awful news in my kitty household.
Post by: linnea on August 10, 2008, 10:48:12 am
I have some awful news about my precious kitty cat, Lennybruce. As some of you might know, I am a proud kittymama to 2 adorable Scottish Folds, and I love them with all my heart. Check out my Flickr page sometime if you want to see how much of a crazy cat lady I am.

About 4 weeks ago Lenny developed a very serious condition with stones in his bladder and urethra, and the vet had to perform major surgery on Tuesday to save his little life. After the surgery, he was doing very poorly. I rushed him back to the vet's office on Friday because I knew something was wrong. They checked him over, looked at his sutures, took his temperature, and told me that everything was fine. They said that it would just take him a little bit of time. They said that he looked like he was beginning to heal, and gave him some fluids. They told me that I would see a marked improvement on Tuesday. The doctor did not charge me anything to check back up on my sweet Lenny.
 
On Saturday, he was acting like he has been post-surgery - very sluggish, and seemed like he was in pain, which was very upsetting. I gave him all of his medicine right on schedule, just like I always have. I went to have dinner with some friends, and I was only gone for about 2 hours. When I came home, Lenny didn't greet me or meow like he always does when I opened the door, and I knew something was very wrong.
 
He was lying at on the floor, and I prayed that I had time to save his little life. He was stiff, and as an EMT I have seen rigor mortis before and on one level knew he was gone, but I just couldn't believe it. I called the emergency vet, absolutely hysterical, as I picked up my sweet Lennies and rushed him into the car. The veterinarian took him to examine him in another room. She came back out to the exam room where I was waiting and very gently explained that there was nothing they could do - rigor mortis had already set in, and his body temperature was very low, and there was no heartbeat, and no breathing. She said that he had probably died shortly after I left.
 
I am just crushed. The veterinarian said that he was okay on Friday! I just don't know what to do. My boyfriend has been wonderful to try to console me, but it's 4:30AM here and I just haven't been able to sleep.
 
The veterinarian said that he certainly would have died if we didn't try the surgery. They kept reassuring me that lots of animals go through this procedure and come out just fine. Lenny was only five and a half years old.
 
Poor Milan just doesn't know what to do without his brother. I kept them in separate rooms after Lenny's surgery. I don't know how I'm going to cope without my Lennies.
 
Thank you so much for listening.
Title: Re: Some awful news in my kitty household.
Post by: Doc on August 10, 2008, 12:19:48 pm
Shit Linnea, ain't a thing to say. I'm sure everyone here knows how much you love your little guys.

Hope you get through this shit.
Title: Re: Some awful news in my kitty household.
Post by: Golfhaus on August 10, 2008, 03:05:32 pm
I'm giving our pups an extra Milkbone today in honor of your friend. While his life was shorter than it deserved to be, take solace if you can in the fact that it's crystal clear your cat lived a wonderful life, full of love from his mom.
Title: Re: Some awful news in my kitty household.
Post by: wombat on August 10, 2008, 06:25:56 pm
Wow, that just sucks as hard as anything can suck. I'm sorry.
Title: Re: Some awful news in my kitty household.
Post by: littlefallsmets on August 10, 2008, 06:29:15 pm
My deep condolences...

My living situation in California has never allowed a pet but... everytime I lost a pet back East, it was crushing.

I'm so sorry.
Title: Re: Some awful news in my kitty household.
Post by: jay-ell on August 10, 2008, 10:02:23 pm
I'm not a pet person, but I know you love your cats like family.  This must be awful for you. 

Our condolences.  We will remember you in our prayers.   
Title: Re: Some awful news in my kitty household.
Post by: pmcd9 on August 14, 2008, 04:04:53 am
That's messed up.  Sorry Somebody nice.
Title: Re: Some awful news in my kitty household.
Post by: Limmo on August 14, 2008, 03:14:42 pm
Sorry for your loss, Somebody nice.