The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => History => Topic started by: Doc on August 10, 2008, 11:28:25 pm

Title: Soul Man.
Post by: Doc on August 10, 2008, 11:28:25 pm
Isaac Hayes died (http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Music/08/10/hayes.obit/index.html).
Just, damn it, y'know?
Title: Re: Soul Man.
Post by: CortJstr on August 10, 2008, 11:29:20 pm
I bet the South Park people feel like big ol' jerks now.
Title: Re: Soul Man.
Post by: Golfhaus on August 11, 2008, 12:41:48 am
I bet the South Park people feel like big ol' jerks now.

I dunno, it's not like they killed him. Or like Isaac Hayes was brainwashed by an organization of pedophiles* and torn apart by a mountain lion and a bear. I'm sure they're saddened by the news, but I doubt they feel any guilt about it. I imagine the next show will have an "In Memoriam" slide at the end, probably with Chef macking some chick.

* Perhaps the only good thing I have to say about them... to my knowledge, there haven't been any reports of pedophilia coming from the CoS.
Title: Re: Soul Man.
Post by: Choop on August 11, 2008, 05:50:30 am
completely tasteless but i laughed

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v113/MythicK/soul_men.jpg)
Title: Re: Soul Man.
Post by: Doc on August 11, 2008, 06:05:02 am
I saw that one. Someone needs to keep an eye on big S. At least until they get that Avengers movie made.
Title: Re: Soul Man.
Post by: littlefallsmets on August 11, 2008, 09:01:48 am
When I first saw that picture, I thought they were holding lightsabres to mock Sam for being in "Star Wars".

Yeah. My imagination is sort of problematic.
Title: Re: Soul Man.
Post by: wombat on August 11, 2008, 02:30:05 pm
I just read that we have Isaac Hayes to blame for disco. I am sorry, but I think he is at least going to have to spend some time in purgatory.
Title: Re: Soul Man.
Post by: CortJstr on August 11, 2008, 03:11:00 pm
He's also responsible for the Blues Brothers biggest hit. I guess that's personal preference whether helps his case or not.
Title: Re: Soul Man.
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on August 11, 2008, 03:55:11 pm
I bet the South Park people feel like big ol' jerks now.

Admitting my pop-culture lameness:  Did they kill off Chef or something?
Title: Re: Soul Man.
Post by: CortJstr on August 11, 2008, 04:07:49 pm
Admitting my pop-culture lameness:  Did they kill off Chef or something?

They did. Hayes said the show went too far when they did a show where they talked about Xenu and thetans and whatnot. The South Park people said he was being a hypocrite, since he was perfectly happy to cash his checks for shows that were just as critical of christianity.

So they did a show where all of Chef's lines were clearly dubbed in from other episodes so they could kill him off. Except at the end he was resurrected in a ##### suit that looks a lot like Darth Vader. That was two or three seasons ago, but it was the last Chef was mentioned on the show.
Title: Re: Soul Man.
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on August 11, 2008, 04:14:00 pm
"In an interview for The A.V. Club on January 4, 2006, Hayes was again asked about the episode. Hayes said that he told the creators, Matt Stone and Trey Parker, "Guys, you have it all wrong. We're not like that. I know that’s your thing, but get your information correct, because somebody might believe that shit, you know?" He then told them to take a couple of Scientology courses to understand what they do. In the interview, Hayes defended South Park's style of controversial humor, noting that he was not pleased with the show's treatment of Scientology, but conceding that he "understands what Matt and Trey are doing.""

So  where do Scientologists go when they die? And did the soul man believe his soul was trapped here by an evil space warlord from a volcano?
Title: Re: Soul Man.
Post by: theinevitable on August 11, 2008, 04:54:34 pm
responsible for the BLUES BROTHER'S fuck*ng hit!?

Hold on, I'm Coming!
Soul Man!
Sam and Dave, dude! Sam and Dave!
Title: Re: Soul Man.
Post by: CortJstr on August 11, 2008, 05:39:34 pm
responsible for the BLUES BROTHER'S fuck*ng hit!?

Hold on, I'm Coming!
Soul Man!
Sam and Dave, dude! Sam and Dave!

I'm not saying the Blues Brothers did it first/best, just that it's the song the Blues Brothers are best known for performing. Besides, I don't think they did any original material at all. Part of the concept of the characters was keeping classic blues/&c music in the mainstream.
Title: Re: Soul Man.
Post by: AlohaDawg on August 29, 2008, 08:12:33 pm
responsible for the BLUES BROTHER'S fuck*ng hit!?

Hold on, I'm Coming!
Soul Man!
Sam and Dave, dude! Sam and Dave!

HE WROTE THE SONG FOR SAM AND DAVE. COLLABORATION WITH DAVE PORTER.

Get a grip.
Title: Re: Soul Man.
Post by: theinevitable on August 29, 2008, 10:24:43 pm
Quote
HE WROTE THE SONG FOR SAM AND DAVE. COLLABORATION WITH DAVE PORTER.

Get a grip.

??

I know he wrote the song for sam and dave, that is what I was saying?
Title: Re: Soul Man.
Post by: theinevitable on August 29, 2008, 10:39:42 pm
Quote
Keep it down and quit harshing my mellow.

My favorite pun of the summer was that when someone would bump my marshmellow-roasting stick when we made smores, I would say in a whiny hippy voice "hey, man, quit harshing my mallow."
The kids thought it was the funniest goddamn thing. The older ones, at least.
Title: Re: Soul Man.
Post by: AlohaDawg on August 30, 2008, 02:18:30 am
responsible for the BLUES BROTHER'S fuck*ng hit!?

Hold on, I'm Coming!
Soul Man!
Sam and Dave, dude! Sam and Dave!

It isn't clear from this post. Was there another? I mean, yeah, we all know Sam and Dave sang the song, but the Blues Brothers AND Sam and Dave still owe Isaac Hayes and David Porter.
Title: Re: Soul Man.
Post by: theinevitable on August 30, 2008, 02:41:51 am
I was responding to what Doc said. To me Sam and Dave are a lot more important than the Blues Brothers. That is what I was trying to say.
Title: Re: Soul Man.
Post by: Doc on August 30, 2008, 03:44:27 am
Hey don't try to pin that on me.
Title: Re: Soul Man.
Post by: theinevitable on August 30, 2008, 07:11:35 am
sorry dude.