The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Science & Nature => Topic started by: Arachno-capitalist on August 15, 2008, 02:49:51 am
-
I got a new computer, and I dont want to get a new monitor. But my current monitor uses one of those unusual flat pin shrouded plugs that supposed to plug into the back of a computer. The new computer doesnt have one of these holes. Is this what I need? http://www.showmecables.com/viewItem.asp?idProduct=3563 (http://www.showmecables.com/viewItem.asp?idProduct=3563) Or was there some kind of special transformer in the computer for the monitor? Why do some monitors have this odd plug?
-
I'm not entirely sure what you're asking, but the item you linked to is basically an extension cord. It's a standard 3-prong on both ends.
Most monitors need a cable with 3 flatter holes on the female and and a standard 3-prong on the male end. Like this (http://beike63.brinkster.net/zencart/index.php?main_page=popup_image&pID=2&zenid=fb820a8e2cf75f8deb1eb772edf9a6d2).
-
yes I need specifically that cable, why did you link to a picture and not a way for me to buy it, cmon man. The only cable i have has the flat prongs on both ends. I was just unsure if it would blow up if I plugged it right into an outlet (with that new cord), or if there was a reason they specifically made this whack ass flat prong stuff.
-
I linked to that pic because it had that handy drawing of the female end, which in other pictures looked like a normal plug.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812201007
That's the first one I saw. You can just search "power cord" on newegg.com
Computers and monitors both use this type of cord.
-
Also kettles.
Just a handy thing to know if you're ever at a lan party and short a few cables.
-
Thanks. We were about to buy a whole new monitor when I realized the cable in the back of the monitor was replaceable (on another of our monitors, the cable is attached), so that saves a couple hundo.
So this flat prong stuff is just some kind of scam or what?
(This relates to my so far only negative experience with Apple. We went to the store, and the only floor model available was being used by some kid playing games. He refused to move until we got the manager to kick him off and show us the computer. He then proceeded to talk at me for 10+ minutes about MobileMe and how we could 'sync our lives' with it. No way. I am not paying a monthly fee so Apple can help me sync my computers. My only question was if I would need an adapter to connect my old monitor to the new computer. He said yes, and told me we needed this DCI converter ($100). I told him exactly what monitor I have and he told me that yes, it would plug into the new computer, and yes we needed this hundred dollar converter. He didn't have any in stock we had to special order the bitch. We get it, it looks like some kind of alien technology and weighs 3 pounds. 10% restocking fee for that return. The actual converter I needed did in fact come with the new computer, and no, I cannot plug my monitor into it. I dont want to sound ageist,but this guy was graying and he obviously didn't know his product, and made expensive unnecessary recommendations.)
-
Also kettles.
Just a handy thing to know if you're ever at a lan party and short a few cables.
Kettles? Last I checked kettles were gas powered. Unless you're unfortunate enough to have an electric stove.
A-Cap: for a brief period some manufacturers made monitors that plugged their power supply into the computer instead of into the wall. It had the advantages of cutting down on cable clutter and having the monitor power up/down with the computer automatically. The downsides are that most computer power supplies have enough to do running the CPU, video card, sound card, fans, &c without shorting out or getting so hot that your CPU melts. Plus it never really caught on, so the cables and computers you need for that kind of set up aren't super common. As you just found out.
edit: the prongs are actually an international standard. That's why you can find the kind of cable you need at New Egg for as little as $3.99. Anybody can make a cable with these prongs and know that it will work on any monitor or desktop. Try replacing your cell phone charger, which almost certainly has a proprietary connector of some kind, for less than $25. The weird prong also prevent people from using incorrect extension cables accidentally, like the one you linked to above, that might actually start a fire because the internal wiring isn't set up for this use (I think there's some kind of AC/DC conversion going on, but I'm no electrian).
-
yeah, I figured it was to prevent people from plugging a microwave into the back of their computer or something.
Re: Proprietary plugs -
If I were to be a manufacturer of electronics I'd make cables so bizarre and patented that no one would be able to reproduce them, then charge an outrageous amount for new cables. Sony does stuff like this, and it is for that reason I do not buy Sony products. Come to think of it, so does Apple with batteries. Apple laptop batteries suck. Even on the apple shop webpage, they get 2 star ratings TOP. I've had my macbook pro for a year now and the battery health is at 40%.
-
a-cap: yes, you could use a LAMP setup: linux, apache, mysql, php; get a dynamic DNS service to route requests to that box; and configure your router to allow incoming requests to that box on port 80.
there should be guides all over the google tubes about this, i wish you luck.
-
Cort knows everything about computers, but he's never seen a electric teakettle or heard of popovers. These kids today. What is wrong with our education system?
-
I remember back in the day I ran a simple program that let me use my Windows95 box as a simple FTP server without interfering with normal usage. This was right before Napster so I used it to share my mp3 directories with my friends.
One thing you'll probably have to worry about is setting up a static DNS address, as most ISPs use dynamic address unless you pay for an upgrade to static. Check out FreeDNS (http://freedns.afraid.org/), which can handle the dynamic to static DNS bridge for you.
Electric teakettle? You mean like that stock-warmer/hard-boiled-egg-cooker that Alton uses?
I still have never seen nor heard of popovers outside of that one episode of Good Eats.
-
Alton boils eggs in an electric teakettle? I've never seen that so I don't know if we're talking about the same thing. Is Good Eats still on? They moved the time and I lost track of it.
-
Yeah. I think he puts the eggs in cold then starts a timer for like 15 minutes after the switch flips off. I didn't pay too much attention because who has an electric teakettle?
It's on weekdays at 8 and 8:30, I think. I'm pretty sure new ones are on Wednesdays. But I record everything so I don't pay much attention to when shows actually air.
-
Every place I ever visited in England used an electric teakettle.
-
Wait, are there non-electric coffee makers?
-
Wait, are there non-electric coffee makers?
Another thing you'd know already if you watched Good Eats. Alton uses a cone-style drip filter on top of a thermos-like serving device. Put your grounds in the cone, then pour recently-boiling water through that.
-
Im so glad I didnt live in your prehistoric america, all listening to records while you pour boiling water into a thermos.
-
I used to have a hydro-electric powered kettle, but I couldn't take my dam to work with me so I traded it in on a wind powered one.
-
I just don't drink anything that would require boiling water. But I'm weird like that.
-
Yeah I got one of those too.
I think this is the point at which I derail the thread by declaring perk ever so superior to any form of drip coffee making.
Oh man... when I first started drinking coffee, it was from one of the old glass capped percolators. Then when I went to drip coffee, I stopped drinking coffee.
A-greed.
(http://garmonbozia.us/tp/charpics/pete-martell.jpeg)
There was a giraffe... IN the percolator!
-
A-Cap, you asked about setting your old box up as a server: http://www.webmonkey.com/tutorial/Set_Up_a_Home_Server