The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Limmo on August 26, 2008, 11:21:25 pm

Title: The Great Outdoor Fight
Post by: Limmo on August 26, 2008, 11:21:25 pm
My copy of The Great Outdoor Fight just arrived from Amazon.  I haven't had a chance to delve too deeply into it, but it looks great.  From the two new panels kicking the story off to Ray amazing Uncle George with his dancing prowess, it's ten pounds of awesome in a five-pound bag. 

Watch your mailboxes, folks. 
Title: Re: The Great Outdoor Fight
Post by: CortJstr on August 27, 2008, 03:27:47 am
Dammit, mine was available for delivery today but isn't scheduled until tomorrow so UPS sat on it like big ol' jerky-jerks
Title: Re: The Great Outdoor Fight
Post by: CortJstr on August 27, 2008, 04:58:07 pm
OK, I got mine and I've read most of it. I was all the way to the Jeeps before it dawned on me that there's not alt-text. I always thought it was a strange decision to omit it from the regular books but I guess it makes more sense for GOF.
Title: Re: The Great Outdoor Fight
Post by: jaydub on August 27, 2008, 06:27:20 pm
Its there - you need to hover your gaze over the picture and see it in your mind's eye.
Title: Re: The Great Outdoor Fight
Post by: lprkn on August 28, 2008, 12:29:34 am
Ooh, a sailboat!
Title: Re: The Great Outdoor Fight
Post by: wombat on August 28, 2008, 01:23:41 am
Now that I've got my book, I remember that I don't really care that much about the Great Outdoor Fight except theoretically, that I'm impressed that he made it all up. But it is a nice touch that he managed to work some recipes in.
Title: Re: The Great Outdoor Fight
Post by: AugustWest on August 28, 2008, 02:38:40 am
Ooh, a sailboat!

It's a schooner.
Title: Re: The Great Outdoor Fight
Post by: CortJstr on August 28, 2008, 03:35:01 am
I like how he has the 5 champions prior to Ray all having lame Texas names. It really plays up the now-faceless cowboy that ray whips the ass of before the feast.
Title: Re: The Great Outdoor Fight
Post by: jough on August 29, 2008, 12:46:43 am
I got mine on Monday.  Good stuff.

Yeah, I found myself intoning "There are no side dishes." when reading one of the panels.  Would've made for good end-notes.  Sometimes the strips aren't that funny, but the alt-text brings teh funny.

I forgot how great that storyline was, though.  Lots of good stuff in just about each strip.  Pretty badass.

I'd buy a Risotto Wars book, especially if it had really great risotto recipes in it.
Title: Re: The Great Outdoor Fight
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on August 29, 2008, 01:51:26 pm
I got mine on Monday.  Good stuff.

Yeah, I found myself intoning "There are no side dishes." when reading one of the panels.  Would've made for good end-notes.  Sometimes the strips aren't that funny, but the alt-text brings teh funny.

I forgot how great that storyline was, though.  Lots of good stuff in just about each strip.  Pretty badass.

I'd buy a Risotto Wars book, especially if it had really great risotto recipes in it.


I would not buy the Sandwich Wars book.
Title: Re: The Great Outdoor Fight
Post by: AugustWest on August 29, 2008, 02:27:20 pm
I would not buy the Sandwich Wars book.

Me either.

I don't blame Onstad for his reaction, because lord knows if The New Yorker showed the slightest bit of interest in my work I'd probably shit my #####.  But it's not his best stuff, by far.

 
Title: Re: The Great Outdoor Fight
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on August 29, 2008, 06:03:39 pm
OK, I got mine and I've read most of it. I was all the way to the Jeeps before it dawned on me that there's not alt-text. I always thought it was a strange decision to omit it from the regular books but I guess it makes more sense for GOF.

I'm going to have to pencil in "Probably a good idea to dust off a couple Polish before the big round" in my copy because that's one of my favourite alt-texts ever.
Title: Re: The Great Outdoor Fight
Post by: CortJstr on August 29, 2008, 06:14:45 pm
It was the middle Jeep doing a wheelie that I missed. For some reason I distinctly remember that alt-text
Title: Re: The Great Outdoor Fight
Post by: wombat on August 29, 2008, 06:39:54 pm
I don't blame Onstad for his reaction, because lord knows if The New Yorker showed the sightest bit of interest in my work I'd probably shit my ******.  But it's not his best stuff, by far.


Oh well, he is giving them what they want. He is a pro.

I don't like it much either but I'm not signing the check. Assuming there is a check.
Title: Re: The Great Outdoor Fight
Post by: wombat on August 30, 2008, 07:57:56 pm
OK, hella apologies to the Great Outdoor Fight. I forgot how many good parts there are. The Thomas Edison of handing a guy his ass. Beef using his computer skills to hack his way in and look up a fighter's credit scores to find his weakness. And I've hardly started.

I admit, I think of this as one of those Guy Things in the strip, starting with fake nutsacks - this just seems so unfortunate as a way for the whole thing to begin - and being about fighting and guys' obsessions with sports.  But like all great art, the point is not the plot, it is all in the execution.

Title: Re: The Great Outdoor Fight
Post by: theinevitable on August 31, 2008, 06:34:40 pm
the thing that bugged me is that... putting a 3-panel daily strip in book format does not make a graphic novel. I feel like something about the formatting kind of lost the suspense of the thing? or something?

An important part of the GOF, to me, is seeing that Ray is going to fight this guy, and you don't know what'll happen, and suddenly you hit Next and Ray is ripping off his face.
Title: Re: The Great Outdoor Fight
Post by: CortJstr on September 04, 2008, 01:38:02 pm
When I first saw the link that you can get an autographed/illustrated copy of GOF direct from Onstad I was like, "aw man, I can't believe I got mine from Amazon."

But considering he's charging $30 (+ shipping, I assume) and Amazon had the book for $9.xx including shipping I'm pretty happy with my choice. I think $10 is probably my ceiling for personalizing a book. I think the Dr. McNinja guys only charge $5.