The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: captainimpossibles on November 07, 2003, 10:42:31 am

Title: drip drop drip drop (11-07-03)
Post by: captainimpossibles on November 07, 2003, 10:42:31 am
I win this race, ladies. I'm like the guy who comes out of nowhere in the marathon and vomits in the trophy.

Strip (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=11072003).
Title: drip drop drip drop 7/11
Post by: starlight on November 07, 2003, 10:54:51 am
More fearful of Philippe's fate than ever now :\
that shed greatly resembles danger!  
..but who knows, perhaps nice people with ice cream will await him in there ....hah
Title: drip drop drip drop 7/11
Post by: Mite on November 07, 2003, 11:11:01 am
No, it will all resolve with wacky hijincks. It will. It will!

And damn, this art is amazing. A lot of days I barely even look at the visuals, but this has been fanstastic.
Title: drip drop drip drop 7/11
Post by: wombat on November 07, 2003, 11:28:48 am
I wish I knew how to type the terrible pained whine that I emitted upon looking at today's strip.
Title: drip drop drip drop 7/11
Post by: PinkStainlessTail on November 07, 2003, 12:05:01 pm
Mmmmm, atmospheric.

Phillipe's toast.  I expect the next Ray's Place to have this question: "How do you get blood out of an adorable little bumblebee suit?".
Title: drip drop drip drop 7/11
Post by: revdj on November 07, 2003, 01:32:15 pm
My god this is terrifying.  The last two years have been setting up the knot in my stomach.
Title: drip drop drip drop 7/11
Post by: jay-ell on November 07, 2003, 01:39:03 pm
What?  That little building's windows are boarded up so that nobody can tell that there's ice cream inside!  

That's what makes it super-secret!
Title: drip drop drip drop 7/11
Post by: CortJstr on November 07, 2003, 01:49:59 pm
I must say that's the the boarded up windows that totally make the building perfect.
Title: drip drop drip drop 7/11
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 07, 2003, 02:09:45 pm
If Nice Pete does anything bad to Philippe, I will hunt him down and kill him.  I don't care that he's a cartoon character.  You leave Philippe alone, you mofo.
Title: drip drop drip drop 7/11
Post by: MSC on November 07, 2003, 02:21:46 pm
Damn, this is bleak.  

I agree that these bleak nightime scenes have shown off some of the most inventive and nice art in awhile.  I guess dread and murder are Onstad's muses.
Title: drip drop drip drop 7/11
Post by: AugustWest on November 07, 2003, 03:04:50 pm
Damn that Onstad!  He's torturing us.  A cliffhanger of all things.  Why I oughta pound him!

If this damn strip weren't so wonderful, I would, I tells you.  Now I've got to worry about Phillippe all weekend.
Title: drip drop drip drop 7/11
Post by: slink on November 07, 2003, 03:42:43 pm
Gah!
Erm.... what to say that hasn't been said.
Title: drip drop drip drop 7/11
Post by: AlohaDawg on November 07, 2003, 04:07:57 pm
It's all a dream. It's all a dream. It's all a dream.
Title: drip drop drip drop 7/11
Post by: V-Adore on November 07, 2003, 04:08:22 pm
It somehow doesn't surprise me that pure melancholy and fear get Onstad's greatest art in a long time.

I'm still hopeful, though, because this really doesn't sound like a Nice Pete murder setup to me. He's a little more... wham-bam, you know? If he wanted Philippe dead, he'd already be dead. (wishful thinking, but humor me...)
Title: drip drop drip drop 7/11
Post by: jough on November 07, 2003, 05:21:27 pm
I fully expect there to be ice cream awaiting Philippe, and all the gang to show up there while Nice Pete and Phil are licking their cones (easy fellas) and both of them looking at everyone like "What?"
Title: drip drop drip drop 7/11
Post by: CortJstr on November 07, 2003, 05:34:43 pm
Quote from: "jough"
I fully expect there to be ice cream awaiting Philippe, and all the gang to show up there while Nice Pete and Phil are licking their cones (easy fellas) and both of them looking at everyone like "What?"


This wouldn't surprise me. Especially if it turned out there were bodies in all the closets and stuff. NP just wouldn't realize that this would creep out other people.
Title: drip drop drip drop 7/11
Post by: Steve Hogan on November 07, 2003, 05:51:45 pm
Maybe it'll be hot fudge sundaes served out of hollowed librarian skulls.
Title: drip drop drip drop 7/11
Post by: V-Adore on November 07, 2003, 06:11:32 pm
Quote from: "Steve Hogan"
Maybe it'll be hot fudge sundaes served out of hollowed librarian skulls.

I don't know why I find this image so compelling, but it is.
Title: drip drop drip drop 7/11
Post by: ferocious j on November 07, 2003, 06:47:42 pm
I feel like I should mention now that this week is the first one I can think of where it's been raining consistently here in the Bay Area.  The only possible conclusion to make is that Achewood controls the weather, since it's also been raining in the strip almost all week.
Title: drip drop drip drop 7/11
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 07, 2003, 06:48:50 pm
Quote from: "Steve Hogan"
Maybe it'll be hot fudge sundaes served out of hollowed librarian skulls.


At first I read this as "hollowed libertarian skulls."
Title: drip drop drip drop 7/11
Post by: Thak on November 07, 2003, 06:55:04 pm
Quote from: "jough"
I fully expect there to be ice cream awaiting Philippe, and all the gang to show up there while Nice Pete and Phil are licking their cones (easy fellas) and both of them looking at everyone like "What?"


But, there is no electricity going to the shed, to keep any icecream from melting.
Title: drip drop drip drop 7/11
Post by: Lane on November 07, 2003, 06:55:16 pm
Quote from: "MSC"
I agree that these bleak nightime scenes have shown off some of the most inventive and nice art in awhile.  I guess dread and murder are Onstad's muses.


Ditto.  I am digging this whole Achewood noir approach.  All though we are all aghast at the horrible thought of something dire happening to Phillippe, let us not forget how danged violent the strip has been, what with the shootings and the golf carts off of cliffs.
Title: drip drop drip drop 7/11
Post by: V-Adore on November 07, 2003, 07:10:44 pm
Quote from: "Lane"
Ditto.  I am digging this whole Achewood noir approach.  All though we are all aghast at the horrible thought of something dire happening to Phillippe, let us not forget how danged violent the strip has been, what with the shootings and the golf carts off of cliffs.

Yeah, but that's Beef. I love the guy, but it's also just sort of the natural flow of his life for him to constantly be near-death (or there) and in bad emotional situations. Beef is beyond helping, but Philippe we really feel for.

That, and how can you not feel sympathy for a five-year-old otter dressed as a "bumble-bee?"
Title: drip drop drip drop 7/11
Post by: CortJstr on November 07, 2003, 07:20:53 pm
Quote from: "ferocious j"
I feel like I should mention now that this week is the first one I can think of where it's been raining consistently here in the Bay Area.  The only possible conclusion to make is that Achewood controls the weather, since it's also been raining in the strip almost all week.


Philippe's not sad because it's raining. It's raining because he's sad.
Title: And at the last minute...
Post by: Pedro Picasso on November 07, 2003, 07:24:16 pm
...Phillipe morphs into Angry Teenaged Phillipe (TM) and defeats the serial killer with his sharp sarcasm and deadening disaffection.
Title: drip drop drip drop 7/11
Post by: ferocious j on November 07, 2003, 07:29:11 pm
I think whether this situation gets good or exponentially worse will depend entirely on who the first one is to find Nice Pete and Philippe.  I would like to posit that the hands-down worst outcome would be if Pat gets there first.  (with or without Arthur in tow)
Title: drip drop drip drop 7/11
Post by: PinkStainlessTail on November 07, 2003, 07:39:28 pm
Quote from: "ferocious j"
I would like to posit that the hands-down worst outcome would be if Pat gets there first.  (with or without Arthur in tow)


Well, it is Pat's fault that they're stuck with Nice Pete in the first place. Maybe he could get all killed for once.
Title: drip drop drip drop 7/11
Post by: Steve Hogan on November 07, 2003, 08:11:26 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "Steve Hogan"
Maybe it'll be hot fudge sundaes served out of hollowed librarian skulls.

I don't know why I find this image so compelling, but it is.


Spoken like a person who's been shushed one time too many.
Title: drip drop drip drop 7/11
Post by: wombat on November 07, 2003, 08:52:21 pm
Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
If Nice Pete does anything bad to Philippe, I will hunt him down and kill him.  I don't care that he's a cartoon character.  You leave Philippe alone, you mofo.


Count me in.  We'll start a DC area posse and go on a road trip to find him and rip him apart with our bare hands and cook his still beating heart in a pot of Roast Beef's Five Dollar Chili.
Title: drip drop drip drop 7/11
Post by: andalucia on November 07, 2003, 09:32:57 pm
Aaaaaaagh!

was my response.  I agree with wombat on this one.  The part that really clinched it for me was how little Phillip doesn't even have arms to climb down from the van, let alone defend himself...
Title: drip drop drip drop 7/11
Post by: pmcd9 on November 08, 2003, 04:00:26 am
I think ya'll have got it all wrong.  It's not Phillipe we should be feeling dread for.  It's Nice Pete who is about to meet his doom.  

~Paul
Title: drip drop drip drop 7/11
Post by: side_show on November 08, 2003, 10:53:42 pm
Phillipe has some really bad repressed memories from his family life already.  My bets are he and nice Pete have more in common than we'd like to admit and this hole thing ends up in creepy bonding.
Title: drip drop drip drop 7/11
Post by: doomglobe on November 10, 2003, 04:14:43 am
phillipe also can call on the spirit of billy idol, turning his bee costume into a 'sex bee costume' and... oh wait that wouldnt work would it.
Title: drip drop drip drop 7/11
Post by: V-Adore on November 10, 2003, 04:18:11 am
Quote from: "doomglobe"
phillipe also can call on the spirit of billy idol, turning his bee costume into a 'sex bee costume' and... oh wait that wouldnt work would it.

Well, he could turn into a 'sex bee,' but then he would have to mate with his Queen and die. This might very well be awkward, especially for Ultra Peanut.
Title: drip drop drip drop 7/11
Post by: andalucia on November 10, 2003, 05:23:53 am
Wow, V-Adore, and all I can say is wow.  Were there some sort of Nobel Prize for theories about the direction of web-comics, you would for sure win, my friend.  Mad props.
Title: drip drop drip drop 7/11
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on November 12, 2003, 05:33:57 am
Quote from: "wombat"
Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
If Nice Pete does anything bad to Philippe, I will hunt him down and kill him.  I don't care that he's a cartoon character.  You leave Philippe alone, you mofo.


Count me in.  We'll start a DC area posse and go on a road trip to find him and rip him apart with our bare hands and cook his still beating heart in a pot of Roast Beef's Five Dollar Chili.


I'm in, if I get to eat the chili.