The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Science & Nature => Topic started by: Drygioni on September 02, 2008, 11:26:16 pm

Title: Porn Mode
Post by: Drygioni on September 02, 2008, 11:26:16 pm
Lo and behold, Google go one step further to world domination with their new browser. Have a link. (http://www.google.com/chrome/eula.html)

It's nothing too out of the ordinary, basically very Google, clean, basic functionality. Very beta, still.

BUT. I was intrigued by the 'open incognito tab' option (ctrl+shift+n). Turns out it's a window which stores absolutely no information of what you do in that window. No history, no cookies, nothing. And my testosterone blighted brain almost instantly saw the ramifications of this. PORN MODE.

Enjoy.
Title: Re: Porn Mode
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on September 02, 2008, 11:28:33 pm
whoa, wait, theres pictures of naked ladies on the internet?  :o
Title: Re: Porn Mode
Post by: Drygioni on September 02, 2008, 11:33:30 pm
whoa, wait, theres pictures of naked ladies on the internet?  :o

We can't all be 24/7 sex fiends like you, some of us have had to look for this stuff.
Title: Re: Porn Mode
Post by: Golfhaus on September 03, 2008, 12:07:47 am
I would like something like this for Firefox. I searched the add-ons, but there's only one that says it does anything like Incognito, and it's apparently broken in FF3.

Dammit, I don't want to switch browsers.
Title: Re: Porn Mode
Post by: theinevitable on September 03, 2008, 12:19:58 am
I was talking to my roommate recently, and I realized how truly bizarre the way I discovered porn was.

it definitely, DEFINITELY started with me wanting to have dirty jokes to tell my friends. then, having questions about sex and looking them up without any wikipedia to answer me, in those days. Ending up finding such as sex advice sites. eventually, porn.

I think I still do way more... actual research about these things than other people my age, or perhaps most people in general. I always gross my friends out by being all "oh, you mean axillary intercourse?"
Title: Re: Porn Mode
Post by: dejavroom on September 03, 2008, 12:49:40 am
I don't think the rabid Firefox users will be willing to change. Instead of having a "porn mode", Chrome might as well become the "porn browser"...
Title: Re: Porn Mode
Post by: CortJstr on September 03, 2008, 12:50:20 am
Actually about a week ago MS announced that IE8 is going to have this same feature but they call it InPrivate
Title: Re: Porn Mode
Post by: dejavroom on September 03, 2008, 12:57:57 am
I just downloaded it and... it looks nice, actually (unreasonably fast, also).
Title: Re: Porn Mode
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on September 03, 2008, 01:04:25 am
"Google Chrome for Mac is in development and a team of engineers is working hard to bring it to you as soon as possible.

Please enter your email address below and we'll let you know when it's released. "

Psht, fuck you too, google.
Title: Re: Porn Mode
Post by: jay-ell on September 03, 2008, 01:09:17 am
axillary intercourse?"

I had to look this up, and I'm not sure I believe it exists. 
Title: Re: Porn Mode
Post by: wombat on September 03, 2008, 01:52:20 am
I for one welcome our new overlords.
Title: Re: Porn Mode
Post by: Ruta Bagas on September 03, 2008, 01:28:34 pm
I've been trying out Chrome and I quite like it. I might switch to it fully once the Linux version is ready. It's the little things that always get me with browsers, like the status bar which just appears as a little panel when it has something useful to display and slides out of the way if you put your penis over it.

More close to the topic, the best things about Incognito mode are clearly the little spy icon and the fact that it advises you to be wary of "People standing behind you".
Title: Re: Porn Mode
Post by: theinevitable on September 03, 2008, 02:21:09 pm
i might download it just so I can pretend to be a spy.
Title: Re: Porn Mode
Post by: Pedro Picasso on September 03, 2008, 02:52:37 pm
Dang, A-Cap brings the HEAT.

I'm checking it out.  It's slick.  I think I'll be trying it out for a few days, and then returning to Firefox.  But I think Google expects people to do that.  They don't actually want to have their own browser.  They just want browsers to be faster, less crashy, and more secure.  They have definite ideas about how to do that, and they wanted to release a proof of concept. 

In the little comic they released, they basically came out and said, "We made our browser open source so other browsers would steal our ideas.  If IE and Firefox would do things this way (i.e. 1 operating system process per tab, etc.), we could write mega-complex apps that make Google Maps look like a baby's toy.  If we tried that today, we'd slow browsers to a crawl.  So everybody make your browsers more like this one so we can make cooler gadgets for them."
Title: Re: Porn Mode
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on September 03, 2008, 08:15:47 pm
Google failed to fix a Java webkit exploit, whoops: http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/security_flaw_in_google_chrome.php (http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/security_flaw_in_google_chrome.php)
Title: Re: Porn Mode
Post by: wombat on September 04, 2008, 12:48:34 am
the fact that it advises you to be wary of "People standing behind you".

OMG, genius.
Title: Re: Porn Mode
Post by: jay-ell on September 05, 2008, 02:43:33 pm
Wow.  Chrome is fast. 
Title: Re: Porn Mode
Post by: Pedro Picasso on September 05, 2008, 03:06:53 pm
Wow.  Chrome is fast. 

Yeah, I went into porn mode, offered to buy it a drink, and *BAM* there I was.
Title: Re: Porn Mode
Post by: theinevitable on September 07, 2008, 01:13:28 am
yeah. um.

the little thing when you open a new tab, where it shows recent bookmarks.
it would be awesome if that didn't show porn. How do I make this happen.
Title: Re: Porn Mode
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on September 07, 2008, 01:46:26 am
yeah. um.

the little thing when you open a new tab, where it shows recent bookmarks.
it would be awesome if that didn't show porn. How do I make this happen.

Stop looking at porn.
Title: Re: Porn Mode
Post by: pmcd9 on September 07, 2008, 01:59:37 am
Stop looking at porn.

Yeah, like that's gonna happen.
Title: Re: Porn Mode
Post by: Doc on September 07, 2008, 02:02:52 am
Or at least stop bookmarking porn.

There's an option to change the page that opens when you open a new tab to something other than the default new tab page but if you want the other stuff that's on that page I guess you're stuck with it. Also that option doesn't actually seem to work. For me anyway. I was hoping that page might be an actual html file somewhere in the settings folder so I could play around with it but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Otherwise it's a very clean browser, I'll use it for a bit and see how it sits. Because I'm dual screening it doesn't maximize properly on my bigger screen which is a bit annoying.

What's with this trend of programs taking up the entire screen and not having a visible frame anyway? Not saying I don't like it, though it's something that's niggling at me and will probably take a bit to get used to I feel like the window is too big for the monitor and that something might be off screen.