The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: V-Adore on November 10, 2003, 04:20:21 pm

Title: Martin & Orloff
Post by: V-Adore on November 10, 2003, 04:20:21 pm
The ad on the Achewood page is starting to bug me. Does anyone know if this movie is somehow affiliated with Achewood or the 'stad or anything? I looked for the name of the "Cabin Fever" guy, but having entirely forgotten that guy's name, I have no idea.
Title: Martin & Orloff
Post by: CortJstr on November 10, 2003, 04:22:58 pm
I'm trying to figure out what ECW is. Extreme Championship Wrestling?
Title: Martin & Orloff
Post by: V-Adore on November 10, 2003, 06:06:30 pm
That's the only association I have for the acronym, personally.

I think what really bugs me about the ad is the Random Capitalization of Words that should Not be Capitalized in normal Written Language.
Title: Martin & Orloff
Post by: jough on November 10, 2003, 06:10:06 pm
Yes, the one guy is a former wrestler.

Maybe Onstad's just a big Upright Citizen's Brigade or David Cross fan, as am I.

UCB Season 1 just came out on DVD on Tuesday.  Woo-hoo.
Title: Martin & Orloff
Post by: AlohaDawg on November 10, 2003, 07:02:56 pm
UCB was AWESOME.

If the "Little Donny" foundation show is on that DVD, I must have it.
Title: Martin & Orloff
Post by: jough on November 10, 2003, 07:18:59 pm
Yes, it's the last episode of the first season, I believe.

It's cheap now, too: $16.20 at DeepDiscountDVD.com

Not bad for a 2-disc season of a very funny dada-inspired tv show.
Title: Martin & Orloff
Post by: CortJstr on November 10, 2003, 08:21:07 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Yes, the one guy is a former wrestler.

Maybe Onstad's just a big Upright Citizen's Brigade or David Cross fan, as am I.

UCB Season 1 just came out on DVD on Tuesday.  Woo-hoo.


Does this mean throughout the movie the audience chants E-C-Dub? Is Raven involved in any way?

I want to see the Vacant Lot and Viva Variety again.
Title: Martin & Orloff
Post by: jough on November 10, 2003, 08:50:47 pm
Hi,

Yeah, I don't actually, um, know anything about the customs or characters of pro wrestling.  I just read the bio sheet at the film's web site and saw that one of the "actors" was a former pro wrestler.

Love,

-- J.
Title: Martin & Orloff
Post by: Mite on November 10, 2003, 09:27:29 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
I want to see the Vacant Lot and Viva Variety again.

There is a hole in my soul that can only be filled by Viva Variety. That show was pure genius.
Title: Martin & Orloff
Post by: jough on November 10, 2003, 09:39:02 pm
Quote from: "Mite"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
I want to see the Vacant Lot and Viva Variety again.

There is a hole in my soul that can only be filled by Viva Variety. That show was pure genius.


I don't know what either of those shows are.  Do these shows fill some human need?  Will those who have never seen them suffer some tragic demise?
Title: Martin & Orloff
Post by: Mite on November 10, 2003, 09:46:42 pm
Quote from: "jough"
I don't know what either of those shows are.  Do these shows fill some human need?  Will those who have never seen them suffer some tragic demise?

Yes.

Viva Variety posed itself as an eastern-european variety show, advertising products such as "Baby is a Middle-Aged Jazz Musician" (pull the string and it says "Yeah, I'd play you some Miles, but you just wouldn't understand,"), game shows like "Plant or Animal", where an audience member would decide whether a given sound clip was made by Robert Plant or an animal, and the ongoing saga of Jonny Blue Jeans in "Hugo the Talking Yugo".

Plus they booked some awesome bands.
Title: Martin & Orloff
Post by: jough on November 10, 2003, 09:52:54 pm
You know what, I kinda barely remember Viva Variety now.  I think Reel Big giraffe played on it once.  

Vivaaaaaaaaa Varrrrrrrrr(rolled)iety, right?  With the co-host Johnny Something?

Memory fails me.  I'm sure I don't mind not seeing this one anymore.  I may have watched it only once.
Title: Martin & Orloff
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 10, 2003, 10:07:32 pm
Johnny Bluejeans.  He was more the sidekick/Ed McMahon type; the hosts were Mr. and the former Mrs. Laupin.
Title: Martin & Orloff
Post by: Mite on November 10, 2003, 10:35:05 pm
Thanks Carlos - in my after-work haze I wasn't coming up with their names.
Title: Martin & Orloff
Post by: Choop on November 10, 2003, 10:45:11 pm
Wasn't Thomas Lennon of The State also on Viva Variety?

*checks iMDB*

Yes, indeed he was Msr. Maurice Laupin!

Viva my memory!
Title: Martin & Orloff
Post by: V-Adore on November 10, 2003, 10:46:22 pm
Quote from: "Mite"
game shows like "Plant or Animal", where an audience member would decide whether a given sound clip was made by Robert Plant or an animal

This sounds funny and also pretty challenging. Hell, I don't know if I could do that.
Title: Martin & Orloff
Post by: CortJstr on November 10, 2003, 11:01:20 pm
Actually most if not all of VV's actors were from The State. It ran on Comedy Central in like '96. Probably during their "original programming every night at 10" kick. They also had a troupe of dancers which the American censors forced them to keep "covered in a criminal amount of clothing."

I loved their ad for Viva Variety cigarettes. Since you can't advertise them on American TV the entire ad was them saying how horrible smoking is and that it will kill you in the most sensual way possible. The dancers were dressed as school girls and said "smoking is bad. We're bad."

Vacant Lot is really really obscure. It was on Comedy Central in '93ish. They had some hilarious music videos (Slept on His Arms Last Night and This Song's Gonna Make a Great Video were classics) and just generally weird sketches. Like the human piņata.
Title: Martin & Orloff
Post by: ferocious j on November 10, 2003, 11:38:24 pm
I'm just glad some members of The State found work with Reno 911; that show is goddamn hilarious.

(I keep hearing this rumor that The State: Skits and Stickers will be released on DVD sometime before we die)
Title: Martin & Orloff
Post by: FeeReep on November 11, 2003, 02:03:19 am
I have just peered inside the Bucket of Truth, and apparently they will never release The State on DVD. I want it too bad.

Now shut up, Levon, and get your ass in that puddin'.
Title: Martin & Orloff
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 11, 2003, 03:00:13 pm
And Fonzie, played by Menry Winkler, appears on... MAPPY DAYS!

OH THE MORROR!