The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: KeithHernandez on September 12, 2008, 07:33:14 pm

Title: The Hold Steady
Post by: KeithHernandez on September 12, 2008, 07:33:14 pm
People here are probably the only reason I checked them out, so I guess I'll ask here.  Uh, I got Boys and Girls in America, and it is like, almost good?  It is like an album that I kind of like, but kind of don't, by a band I think I would really like.  What songs should I check out?  Probably from earlier times.  Also, which album should I check out next? 
Title: Re: The Hold Steady
Post by: CortJstr on September 12, 2008, 07:57:05 pm
Every time I listen to The Hold Steady I feel like I'm in high school watching Empire Records again. The guys voice just really really reminds me of the song Sugar High from the end.
Title: Re: The Hold Steady
Post by: theinevitable on September 12, 2008, 08:58:31 pm
this band bothers me a lot.

their lyrics are so... and the guy's voice is so...
no. nope. they rub me the wrong way.

partially because of this guy I worked with who would look me straight in the eye and recite their lyrics in that voice the guy has, and they're all like
"we're in a rock band/
but not a punk band/
one day we'll get tired of all the drinking/
and drugs/
and end up/
in the middle of the street"

"so yeah i was at this concert/
and everyone was drinking/
and doing drugs/
all the girls are so slutty/
and the boys, they are so into it/
but one day we'll realize that the scene was all a scam"
Title: Re: The Hold Steady
Post by: KeithHernandez on September 12, 2008, 10:37:31 pm
their lyrics are so... and the guy's voice is so...
no. nope. they rub me the wrong way.

Yeah, this album kind of does, but like, they seem like they could be good.  Take Gang of Four for example.  If I would have listened to their third album (not even sure they have one, I think they do based on their greatest hits) they would have rubbed me the wrong way.  Entertainment is fuck*ng amazing, but, on that greatest hits album I can listen to like 5 non Entertainment songs. 

Edit: (and thought):  I curse a moderate amount in real life.  It bugs me that I can't really stop (especially the God and Jesus curses, not because I am Christian, but because I'm not) but I don't curse that much.  In writing I rarely curse, but here, with the "censored" fuck*ng, I am always using it.  So, uh, I guess this really isn't going anywhere.
Title: Re: The Hold Steady
Post by: theinevitable on September 13, 2008, 12:03:43 am
Gang of Four have a Greatest Hits album? Hilarious.
Title: Re: The Hold Steady
Post by: wombat on September 13, 2008, 01:57:11 am
almost good?  It is like an album that I kind of like, but kind of don't, by a band I think I would really like. 

I have been thinking about this all day on and off. Have I ever heard music and thought a thought like this? Would I be able to tell that I didn't like this album but might like a different one by the same group? I don't think I could. And yet of course there are lots of albums that I do like, by people who have others that I don't like.

Therefore, I must be missing many good things because I heard the wrong album first. This is a terrible thought.
Title: Re: The Hold Steady
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 16, 2008, 01:51:21 pm
I really like the Hold Steady, but I can easily see why others might not.  I also think "Boys and Girls in America" is their best album, so I'm not sure what else to recommend.  "Separation Sunday" is kind of more of the same, except he talks more rather than singing.  I just got the new one, "Stay Positive," but I've only listened through it once so far.

Here is the most popular track from "Separation Sunday," titled "Your Little Hoodrat Friend," should anyone be interested.
http://www.bigfool.com/mp3/hoodrat.mp3