The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: captainimpossibles on November 11, 2003, 11:08:33 am

Title: Send all the children to Hell (11-11-03)
Post by: captainimpossibles on November 11, 2003, 11:08:33 am
I win again. Maybe you should all convert your bongs into sleds.

Strip (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=11112003).
Title: Send all the children to Hell - 11/11/2003
Post by: FeeReep on November 11, 2003, 11:38:49 am
*ponders the logistics*

Dammit, Onstad! How long before we all start praying for little Philippe to die?!

Sorry, someone has switched Matt's regular coffee with Folger's Crystals.  :evil:
Title: Send all the children to Hell - 11/11/2003
Post by: andalucia on November 11, 2003, 12:49:12 pm
Wait, wait, why are we praying for Philllipe to die now?  Did I miss a memo?
Title: Send all the children to Hell - 11/11/2003
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 11, 2003, 02:57:39 pm
Creepiest Achewood ever.  How I long to smile and laugh again.
Title: Send all the children to Hell - 11/11/2003
Post by: sammyjankis on November 11, 2003, 04:18:31 pm
I think the latest narrative is the reason Achewood outshines the competition.
The sinister surealism of it all is like something from a Daniel Clowes novel - just with an adorable otter.


In a bumblebee suit.


Looking for Ice Cream.


In the rain...


This is too much, when will we know?![/color]
Title: Send all the children to Hell - 11/11/2003
Post by: doomglobe on November 11, 2003, 05:26:22 pm
Onstad has no mercy. This is why his art holds meaning. because you know it has an iron will.
Title: Send all the children to Hell - 11/11/2003
Post by: slink on November 11, 2003, 05:46:50 pm
It is superb. The artwork, and the sentiment. Very unsettling, since we all know and love the characters now, especially poor, little Philippe.
I just wonder whether there's some background reason for Onstad having started this route? Too long in the 'Wood fora I guess. Too much speculation.
But as someone who likes slow, unsettling films (Japanese cinema is probably my favourite) this is great. If painful.
Title: Send all the children to Hell - 11/11/2003
Post by: jough on November 11, 2003, 05:50:16 pm
Don't worry, people, Ray is already at the edge of town.  With a small population like that, it can't be very big.

He'll be there soon.

And I still say, despite the lingering dread, that he'll burst in to find Nice Pete and Philippe licking ice cream cones and looking at him like "what?".
Title: Send all the children to Hell - 11/11/2003
Post by: slink on November 11, 2003, 05:53:17 pm
Quote from: "jough"

And I still say, despite the lingering dread, that he'll burst in to find Nice Pete and Philippe licking ice cream cones and looking at him like "what?".


Sssshhhhhhh. Now he knows you know, he's going to have to have him killed! It's all your fault!

And maybe Onstad managed to drop Philippe down the waste thingy in his sink? Maybe that's what started this...
Title: Send all the children to Hell - 11/11/2003
Post by: jough on November 11, 2003, 05:56:30 pm
Well, remember from the news item of a few weeks ago that Philippe was on tour with this band from Boston.

So it's quite possible that something bad happened to the stuffed Philippe and therefor 'stad is coping with his loss through the strip.
Title: Send all the children to Hell - 11/11/2003
Post by: V-Adore on November 11, 2003, 07:59:02 pm
I am both afraid and glued to my seat. Whatever happens... it'll be the payoff. Such is life, you know?

But I suspect Jough's right here. At least, I sure hope Jough's right.
Title: Send all the children to Hell - 11/11/2003
Post by: PinkStainlessTail on November 11, 2003, 08:40:17 pm
Sad. (http://www.wmtinc.com/otter.html) Pete's work will probably be messier.
Title: Send all the children to Hell - 11/11/2003
Post by: doomglobe on November 12, 2003, 06:58:55 am
all I got to say about that is I sure hope not. also, due to phillipes costume I got my old blind melon cd out. they sure do rock.
Title: Send all the children to Hell - 11/11/2003
Post by: andalucia on November 12, 2003, 12:18:09 pm
True story.  Which album?
Title: Send all the children to Hell - 11/11/2003
Post by: jough on November 12, 2003, 04:29:17 pm
'lucia:

Blind Melon. Their first album had a little girl in a bee suit on it.  I still have my copy, and it is indeed a kick-ass album.  The big single was popular in 1993 "No Rain".  

And then the singer, Shannon Hoon, killed himself in auto-erotic asphyxiation, something that I shouldn't be mentioning to one of the few minors on these boards.

So um, go back and cover your eyes before reading that last paragraph.
Title: Send all the children to Hell - 11/11/2003
Post by: slink on November 12, 2003, 06:30:09 pm
Quote from: "jough"

So um, go back and cover your eyes before reading that last paragraph.


Because no young Australians were ever into INXS. I mean hey shouldn't have been, but you know...
Title: Send all the children to Hell - 11/11/2003
Post by: andalucia on November 13, 2003, 02:33:37 am
Quote from: "jough"

And then the singer, Shannon Hoon, killed himself in auto-erotic asphyxiation, something that I shouldn't be mentioning to one of the few minors on these boards.


Nu-uh.  Coke, on the tour bus.  I'm a minor fan of them.


Edit:  Blind Melon, that is, not hard drugs and tour buses.
Title: Send all the children to Hell - 11/11/2003
Post by: slink on November 13, 2003, 03:17:36 am
Quote from: "andalucia"

Edit:  Blind Melon, that is, not hard drugs and tour buses.


What's wrong with the youth of today?
Title: Send all the children to Hell - 11/11/2003
Post by: AlohaDawg on November 13, 2003, 04:10:06 am
Apparently the youth of today either don't know when to bite down on the lemon or else it doesn't work for them....

Auto-erotic asphyxiation is Darwin at work.
Title: Send all the children to Hell - 11/11/2003
Post by: slink on November 13, 2003, 05:37:23 am
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"

Auto-erotic asphyxiation is Darwin at work.


Well, yes, quite, but drugs and rockstars! That's just fun!
Title: Send all the children to Hell - 11/11/2003
Post by: andalucia on November 13, 2003, 12:57:19 pm
Fine, I misspoke:

Drugs good,
Rock stars good,
The combination of the two when it leads to demise:  a modicum less awesome.

My nagging feeling that that sounded like a Mastercard ad:  priceless.


Satisfied?
Title: Send all the children to Hell - 11/11/2003
Post by: CortJstr on November 13, 2003, 02:05:17 pm
"Whatever happened to sex, drugs, & rock 'n' roll? Now we just have AIDS, crack & techno"
Title: Send all the children to Hell - 11/11/2003
Post by: slink on November 13, 2003, 02:18:43 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"

My nagging feeling that that sounded like a Mastercard ad:  priceless.


Superb!
And it has to be said, I said now when Less Than Jake wanted to come round to my flat and smoke our weed, because I think they suck.
Now, if QotSA had asked...

Quote from: "CortJstr"
"Whatever happened to sex, drugs, & rock 'n' roll? Now we just have AIDS, crack & techno"

Ugh. I spent a year sharing a flat with a Techno DJ. That was painful. Particularly since he was also one of the most socially challenged people I ever met.
Title: Send all the children to Hell - 11/11/2003
Post by: palm trees on November 14, 2003, 03:12:40 pm
Quote from: "slink"

And it has to be said, I said now when Less Than Jake wanted to come round to my flat and smoke our weed, because I think they suck.


i think i'm in love with you.