The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Science & Nature => Topic started by: theinevitable on September 30, 2008, 11:42:11 pm

Title: What dumb thing am I doing, and how do I fix it?
Post by: theinevitable on September 30, 2008, 11:42:11 pm
Our apartment has a dishwasher. I have been washing dishes, and using a dishwasher, since I was a kid. I learned to scrape off every little bit of food, because otherwise it gets stuck to the plate. So that is what I do here.
And yet for the third time in a row, our dishes have come out crusted with food that won't come off. This is the third time I am going to have to re-wash our dishes by hand because they are crusted in food. Nasty.

Can you think of something dumb I could be doing to cause this? Can you think of something that could be wrong with our dishwasher that would cause this? I can handle having to wash everything by hand, but... I'd rather not.

It doesn't help that for some reason the water pressure to our sink is for shit. I have tried adjusting the knobs under the sink, and that actually somehow made it worse.

wait: are these two things related? it occurs to me that, yes, they probably are.
Title: Re: What dumb thing am I doing, and how do I fix it?
Post by: Doc on September 30, 2008, 11:54:04 pm
That or are the jets clogged up with food by those less conscientious than yourself/previous owners?
Title: Re: What dumb thing am I doing, and how do I fix it?
Post by: wombat on September 30, 2008, 11:56:14 pm
No doubt those two things are indeed related. You have a landlord you can call, I hope?
Title: Re: What dumb thing am I doing, and how do I fix it?
Post by: AugustWest on October 01, 2008, 12:17:41 am
Three suggestions:

1) Re-adjust the knobs under the sink -- you probably turned them more off rather than more on, which is an easy mistake to make.  Have the water on when you're doing it.

2) Take the bottom rack out and stick your head in the dishwasher.  Look at the arm/spinner thing and see if anything is clogging up the little holes.  Also check below it -- there should be a screen where water drains out.  Make sure nothing is clogging that up.

3)  Get a gallon jug of white vinegar.  Pour it into the dishwasher and run a regular cycle, without soap.  If mineral deposits are clogging the works, this should dissolve them.  This is also a good thing to do if you leave dirty dishes in there too long and things get stinky.
Title: Re: What dumb thing am I doing, and how do I fix it?
Post by: theinevitable on October 01, 2008, 12:56:59 am
OH
OH

there is this thing in the bottom rack. I have been putting dishes over it.

It was the hole this weird sprayer-thing projects through. Either this is a weird dishwasher, or I have never looked very closely at the insides of a dishwasher.

So as of right now I am assuming that this was the problem. Dishes were blocking the little telescoping/spinning tower.

Good call on putting my head inside of it, August. Also, I have tried turning the knobs under the sink in different directions, and it is at the max right now.
Title: Re: What dumb thing am I doing, and how do I fix it?
Post by: Choop on October 01, 2008, 01:37:35 am
you might want to back those knobs off the max to save a little money on your water bill

unless your water is included in your rent, which i've heard of. if that's the case have a ball
Title: Re: What dumb thing am I doing, and how do I fix it?
Post by: AugustWest on October 01, 2008, 01:46:13 am
Good call on putting my head inside of it, August. Also, I have tried turning the knobs under the sink in different directions, and it is at the max right now.

Taking a good look at the problem is always a pretty decent place to start.
Title: Re: What dumb thing am I doing, and how do I fix it?
Post by: theinevitable on October 01, 2008, 02:16:52 am
*to clarify, the knobs were already at the max. The faucet/pipes/something is just messed up. I will tolerate this for too much longer, and then request for it to be fixed.

Also, utilities are included in our rent, but it's so much higher than it should be that it doesn't save us money at all. (school owned housing)
Title: Re: What dumb thing am I doing, and how do I fix it?
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 01, 2008, 02:29:26 am
These are also great ways to figure out a lady.
Title: Re: What dumb thing am I doing, and how do I fix it?
Post by: wombat on October 01, 2008, 02:36:38 am
OK, the most active thread all day is about a broken dishwasher. If we can get this much out of a broken dishwasher why isn't anything going on anywhere else on the board?
Title: Re: What dumb thing am I doing, and how do I fix it?
Post by: lprkn on October 01, 2008, 03:11:41 pm
Quote from: Onstad
New triple-size strip Tuesday evening Wednesday noon.

New strips bring the traffic mostly, in my opinion.
Title: Re: What dumb thing am I doing, and how do I fix it?
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 01, 2008, 07:54:03 pm
Quote from: onstad
...some promise of content...

New strips bring the traffic mostly, in my opinion.

4 PM Wednesday. I'll believe it when I see it.
Title: Re: What dumb thing am I doing, and how do I fix it?
Post by: theinevitable on October 01, 2008, 10:14:16 pm
only the sink has the problem. the guys upstairs said they had a similar problem and they got it fixed, I just want to make sure there isn't any simple thing I can do myself to fix it. I'm going to try again twisting the knobs while the water is running to make sure I wasn't missing anything due to frustration yesterday.
Title: Re: What dumb thing am I doing, and how do I fix it?
Post by: lprkn on October 02, 2008, 03:35:34 am
...peeing down the LL's back just like you already plan.

Maybe he's into this sort of thing?
Title: Re: What dumb thing am I doing, and how do I fix it?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on October 02, 2008, 03:41:34 pm
Maybe while you have your head in the dishwasher, he can give you a commodore.
Title: Re: What dumb thing am I doing, and how do I fix it?
Post by: theinevitable on October 02, 2008, 04:54:32 pm
I like the idea that even in relations with men, I am sexually unlucky.

Lately my luck has reversed in a way that is comically awkward, actually.
Title: Re: What dumb thing am I doing, and how do I fix it?
Post by: Doc on October 02, 2008, 11:16:58 pm
Is three's company still setting back male female relations approximately 30 years?
Title: Re: What dumb thing am I doing, and how do I fix it?
Post by: CortJstr on October 02, 2008, 11:47:32 pm
Shush or I'll slashfic a Mr. Furley/Larry scene for you.

The things that man can do with a neckerchief.