The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: Carlos del Vaca on October 06, 2008, 06:10:42 pm
-
(http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3264/2918809938_0ed8854169.jpg)
We went out to an orchard near the VA-WV line yesterday, and got thirty pounds of apples for nine bucks.
Combine that with the other five pounds or so the in-laws gave us, and we have a friggin' crapload of apples on the counter.
I am running the dehydrator. Next weekend I expect to make applesauce. And of course, there will be pies. But I welcome other suggestions.
We got pumpkins, too.
(http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3190/2918805032_53e245a452.jpg)
-
And of course, there will be pies.
Music
-
Now I've got a wicked craving for apple crisp.
-
thirty pounds of apples for nine bucks.
Where is the bailout for the apple market?
-
Chunk them apples up some and use them in a sausage apple frittata.
WOULD YOU LIKE SOME FRITTATA
That sounds pretty good, actually. I had been thinking about frittata as we have like two dozen eggs in the fridge.
-
Damn, I've been paying $1.99 a pound like a chump.
-
And I thought I got a good deal at .98 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/2093677387/)
-
Any apple grower worth his salt should have a cider press you can use.
Ferment and enjoy!
-
So wait... are those stock photos of apples and pumpkins, or is that what you're staring down?
I want to like apples, really, I do. But I can't. I don't even try to like pumpkins.
-
So wait... are those stock photos of apples and pumpkins, or is that what you're staring down?
Those are Carlos del Vaca original photos, but that's a bin at the orchard, and a crowd of pumpkins during the harvesting activity. I didn't take all those home.
There's a DC-area food blog I subscribe to that just had a call for writers (they have been a little thin on content lately). I wrote a piece on my apple expedition... and they rejected it. Go... figure.
-
Well I was going to ask what blog, because I would like to read a good DC food blog. But if they don't care about your apples, can they be any good?
-
It's http://dcfud.smorgasblog.com/
I don't want to be all "I didn't want to write for your crappy blog anyway!", but it's got me scratching my head a little bit.
-
Oh by the way, when I got home from work today, guess what Mrs. del Vaca had in the oven?
Hint: three letters, starts with a p, ends with an e, has an i in between. And apples in it.
How I love that woman.
-
So wait... are those stock photos of apples and pumpkins, or is that what you're staring down?
I want to like apples, really, I do. But I can't. I don't even try to like pumpkins.
I have no idea what you are doing with pumpkins? Seeds? Is there some pumpkin food that I'm not privy to.
Also, could we get a pick of your apples? I kind of want to see what 35 pounds of apples looks like.
-
Most of the pumpkins (the big round bright orange classic style) will be either given to our kids' schools, or carved into jack-o-lanterns and put on our front porch, to be smashed by teenagers late in the night on October 31. I may also roast the seeds from those, but that always seems to be better in theory than in practice.
I have a couple that look more like the pale ones in the fourth row from the left in this picture (http://img.groundspeak.com/waymarking/0a7f6fc0-b7ca-42bc-b7f1-db2f4fcf1a62.jpg). They are better suited for cooking. I could roast one and make a from-scratch pumpkin pie out of it. However, I may just peel and chop, and cook like any other squash, say in this R I S O T T O recipe (http://www.foodlovers.co.nz/recipes/display.php?id=745).
I'll try to take a picture of the mountain of apples tonight. We've probably used a good five pounds of them already.
-
I may also roast the seeds from those, but that always seems to be better in theory than in practice.
Oh God, QFT.
Nothing seems more obvious and good than "hey, we've already slaughtered the pumpkin, why not make seeds?" and... nothing ends more disappointingly.
It is on a par with when two friends who are not really attracted to each other try to have sex, out of desperation and/or convenience, and it ends like home-roasted pumpkin seeds.
I mean, sure, there's pumpkin seeds to eat but pumpkin seeds aren't very good, there's all the mess and it would've been easier to just pay for them if you really needed pumpkin seeds.
-
The hell? I have never purchased pumpkin seeds that were anywhere near as good as ones fresh out of the oven. All toasty hot, all covered in more salt than is probably healthy, all full of delicious goodness.
Of course then what do you do with the rest of the pumpkin? I live in an apartment, so carving is out. And pie is just gross. But the store-bought are so bad I'd rather have no seeds at all.
-
Y'all are fucked up. Pumpkin pie is good.
-
pumpkin pie is good.
pumpkin pie is HELLA GOOD.
I still think a lot about how the last time I smooched on a girl, it was shortly after she had eaten a bunch of pumpkin bread I made.
-
Pumpkin pie is fantastic. But it is really not worth starting with a real pumpkin. It is one of the few things in life where the canned product instead of the fresh is what you really want.
Cort: I don't know why you can't carve a pumpkin in an apartment - it doesn't really take up that much room - but you can come take a bunch of seeds off my hands in few weeks if you like.
-
Pumpkin pie is fantastic. But it is really not worth starting with a real pumpkin. It is one of the few things in life where the canned product instead of the fresh is what you really want.
Cort: I don't know why you can't carve a pumpkin in an apartment - it doesn't really take up that much room - but you can come take a bunch of seeds off my hands in few weeks if you like.
I meant that carving in an apartment is sort of pointless. My balcony can't be seen from the street and I'm at the end of the hall, so only the people who live directly across from me would ever see it. And I haven't seen a trick-or-treater since I left home. I think there may be 1 age-appropriate child in the whole building.
-
But you get to see it! If you put bouquet of flowers or a nice centerpiece on your table, would you care that your neighbors don't see it?
Anyway, you need it to keep the evil spirits away.
-
But you get to see it! If you put bouquet of flowers or a nice centerpiece on your table, would you care that your neighbors don't see it?
Anyway, you need it to keep the evil spirits away.
It bugs the SO that our entire dining room area is invisible to me. I never notice when she puts flowers or anything on the table. Last week the runner blew off the table because we'd left the windows open on a windy day and I didn't notice. Three days in a row.
There might be a jack-o-lantern on the table right now for all I know.
-
Also, could we get a pick of your apples? I kind of want to see what 35 pounds of apples looks like.
I'd say we're down to about 25 pounds, but:
(http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3056/2922601599_45a88c8113.jpg)
Also, pie.
(http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3098/2922601467_758626dc70.jpg)
-
Mmmmmm, pie.
-
That's some good lookin' pie.
-
Pumpkin pie is fantastic. But it is really not worth starting with a real pumpkin. It is one of the few things in life where the canned product instead of the fresh is what you really want.
Ah, pumpkin pie. Wombats post is perfect. I guess I kind of thought that was pumpkin flavored *i don't really know, goo?* Not, like, you know, a real pumpkin.
-
Canned pumpkin is really pumpkin, cooked a whole lot.
I don't mean canned pumpkin pie filling, which is canned pumpkin with the other ingredients already added. Come on, people, it is not that hard to add some eggs and milk and sugar and spices to a can of pumpkin, I mean, be thankful you didn't start with a real pumpkin and cut it up and peel it and cook it down till it was mush and then realize it isn't as tasty as the canned kind after all that.
The great thing about pumpkin pie is that even a lousy one is pretty good. Whereas a lousy apple pie is just heartbreaking.
-
While the apple market is apparently crashing from oversupply, the pumpkin market is experiencing a shortage: http://mjperry.blogspot.com/2008/10/pumpkin-shortages-and-scary-price.html (http://mjperry.blogspot.com/2008/10/pumpkin-shortages-and-scary-price.html). Buy pumpkins now, hide them in the garage and sell later! INVEST IN PUMPKIN, Pumpkin!
-
Remember: the value of you pumpkins will never go down! And just to make everything secure, I will sell you insurance to cover you in the utterly unlikely event that they do.
-
carlos after you sell that insurance i'll buy those policies from you
then you can invest against my policies and we'll both make a mint
-
Today we made this totally yummy cranberry-apple crisp (http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/CRANBERRY-APPLE-CRISP-WITH-OATMEAL-STREUSEL-TOPPING-105840), which finished off our 35 pounds of apples in three weeks. Total spoilage: about half of one apple.
Also, we carved hell of pumpkins today.