The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => History => Topic started by: pmcd9 on October 17, 2008, 03:39:59 am

Title: Joe the Plumber [The John McCain Thread]
Post by: pmcd9 on October 17, 2008, 03:39:59 am
I figure there needs to be a John McCain thread because he's probably not going to be in the news too much after a few more weeks.
Title: Re: Joe the Plumber [The John McCain Thread]
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 17, 2008, 03:45:08 am
A peanut is neither a pea nor a nut... it is a legume.

Joe the Plumber is neither legally a "plumber" or legally a "the"... he is possibly the weirdest stumble yet.
Title: Re: Joe the Plumber [The John McCain Thread]
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on October 17, 2008, 04:03:35 am
Here LFM is correct. The dude is not a licensed plumber. The dude does not want to build a business, he wants to buy one. The dude currently makes under $250k and would benefit from Obama's plan. His name is not Joe, it is Sam. There are liens on Sam because he hasn't paid his taxes.
Title: Re: Joe the Plumber [The John McCain Thread]
Post by: Ben-San on October 17, 2008, 04:41:16 am
Here LFM is correct. The dude is not a licensed plumber. The dude does not want to build a business, he wants to buy one. The dude currently makes under $250k and would benefit from Obama's plan. His name is not Joe, it is Sam. There are liens on Sam because he hasn't paid his taxes.

If he doesn't pay his taxes, then obviously he won't benefit from Obama's tax plan!

Didn't think that one through, did you?!
Title: Re: Joe the Plumber [The John McCain Thread]
Post by: theinevitable on October 17, 2008, 07:20:51 am
i just love how everyone who isn't running for president but is involved in the campaign is named Joe.

I asked my friend joey...
Title: Re: Joe the Plumber [The John McCain Thread]
Post by: CortJstr on October 17, 2008, 12:38:44 pm
I swear the CBS news this morning said his middle name is Joe
Title: Re: Joe the Plumber [The John McCain Thread]
Post by: wombat on October 17, 2008, 12:44:23 pm
The dude is not a licensed plumber.

Oh man, seriously?

I thought I'd already reached rock bottom of despair about how this campaign is being conducted but... wow. Is every single word out of their mouths a half-truth including 'and' and 'the'?
Title: Re: Joe the Plumber [The John McCain Thread]
Post by: Doc on October 17, 2008, 02:00:41 pm
It was an offhand example at a debate. I don't think it should be that big a deal.
The fact that this little thing is seen as such a big deal does say something about the campaign though.
Title: Re: Joe the Plumber [The John McCain Thread]
Post by: pmcd9 on October 17, 2008, 02:33:31 pm
Doc, McCain referred to Joe the Plumber about 15 times (http://www.myfoxdc.com/myfox/MyFox/pages/sidebar_video.jsp?contentId=7659480&version=1&locale=EN-US). 
Title: Re: Joe the Plumber [The John McCain Thread]
Post by: Doc on October 17, 2008, 02:51:40 pm
Oh man, really? I only saw the 0 dollar fine clip.
Ok yeah that's crazy.
Title: Re: Joe the Plumber [The John McCain Thread]
Post by: pmcd9 on October 17, 2008, 03:07:02 pm
It's also significant because McCain is completely wrong about the guy.  He would actually benefit more under Obama's tax plan.

Title: Re: Joe the Plumber [The John McCain Thread]
Post by: Doc on October 17, 2008, 03:10:57 pm
I knew that bit, I just assumed that had more to do with McCain being misinformed about the guy rather than trying to misrepresent Obama's policies (any more than usualy anyway) which is why I couldn't see why everyone was talking about it so much.
Title: Re: Joe the Plumber [The John McCain Thread]
Post by: wombat on October 17, 2008, 05:44:27 pm
Wouldn't McCain being misinformed about the guy be bad enough? How hard is it to pick an accurate example for the point you're trying to make? Isn't that the least we should expect from someone who wants to be president?
Title: Re: Joe the Plumber [The John McCain Thread]
Post by: Turbo Ninja on October 17, 2008, 05:50:15 pm
I took it as a way for McCain to suggest Obama = Socialism without actually having to do it himself, and to paint Joe the Plumber as the embodyment of suspicious undecideds everywhere.

After the media did a little digging that the McCain campaign would've been wise to do before the debate, we learn that Joe "The Plumber" Wurzelbacher may be related to Robert Wurzelbacher of Cincinnati, Ohio, who happens to be Charles Keating's son-in-law. Robert Wurzelbacher was implicated in the Keating 5 scandal (just like McCain), and sentenced to 40 months in prison in 1993. Wurzelbacher is also a huge Republican donor.  If that's true, I'd say ol' Joe isn't an impartial judge of Obama's policies.

Further, Joe hates paying taxes SO MUCH that the state of Ohio has a tax lien against him for $1,182.98 from January '07.  He also has a credit judgment against him from a hospital in the amount of $1,261.

There were even rumors that Joe wasn't registered to vote, but it turns out his last name is spelled wrong on his registration.  It's legal to have that error in Ohio but it's the kind of mismatch that would get him purged from the rolls if certain politicians had their way with "voter fraud" measures.
Title: Re: Joe the Plumber [The John McCain Thread]
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on October 18, 2008, 02:21:04 am
I pretty much give a crap about Joe the Plumber, but I find it sadly amusing that the right-wing bloggers are bemoaning the fact that folks are digging into his personal life and background.  Does the name Graeme Frost ring a bell?
Title: Re: Joe the Plumber [The John McCain Thread]
Post by: pmcd9 on October 18, 2008, 04:08:36 am
Carlos, that's just evidence that both sides are completely full of shit.
Title: Re: Joe the Plumber [The John McCain Thread]
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 18, 2008, 04:18:23 am
To be fair, though, most of the digging around in this guy's life... at least in the mainstream press... has been about dismantling the parts of his life specifically involved in his purported symbolism.

He's not a licensed plumber or even a handyman, even if he could buy the business he wanted to he most likely would fall outside of the tax parameters McCain was talking about, he's actually sort of a tax dodge himself, under certain Republican attempts to discount all voter registrations with any discrepensies he wouldn't even be able to vote, etc etc.

I'm sure there's people getting more personal or whatever but I haven't seen it in any sort of mainstream press yet.
Title: Re: Joe the Plumber [The John McCain Thread]
Post by: Doc on October 19, 2008, 07:37:29 am
I like the Onion's take on the whole thing. (http://www.theonion.com/content/video/was_there_too_much_sex_and?utm_source=embedded_video)
Title: Re: Joe the Plumber [The John McCain Thread]
Post by: pmcd9 on October 19, 2008, 02:54:44 pm
Oh that was good.
Title: Re: Joe the Plumber [The John McCain Thread]
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on October 22, 2008, 06:04:30 am
Just like Paul would say you dont get to comment on the election unless you vote, I dont think Joe should get to comment on tax policy until he actually pays his taxes.
Title: Re: Joe the Plumber [The John McCain Thread]
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 22, 2008, 06:34:29 am
I would post the McCain-Palin joke I wrote in an attempt to write a truly vile joke for the first time in a long time but...

Like...

Yeah, I am being blocked from posting in a place that does not exist, even though I am allowed to read things that are not there.

It's weird.
Title: Re: Joe the Plumber [The John McCain Thread]
Post by: Doc on October 22, 2008, 07:21:42 am
I wouldn't sweat it too bad man, basically the entire internet is taking up slack for you.
Title: Re: Joe the Plumber [The John McCain Thread]
Post by: AugustWest on October 23, 2008, 12:44:04 am

Yeah, I am being blocked from posting in a place that does not exist, even though I am allowed to read things that are not there.


Say what now?
Title: Re: Joe the Plumber [The John McCain Thread]
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 23, 2008, 03:50:35 am
There is a lounge that does not exist and while I can look into this lounge and see inside it to my heart's content, metaphorically, I cannot sit my ass down in there, metaphorically, or reply to anyone else's sitting down either... metaphorically.
Title: Re: Joe the Plumber [The John McCain Thread]
Post by: theinevitable on October 23, 2008, 04:18:02 am
the things you are saying sound so much like the problems on my logic quizzes.

also: there's nothing wrong with love, so good. The things you say about the music you like have always made me think you would hate an album like that, which I love so much.
I am telling the guy I have played with a few times that we need to play Distopian Dream Girl and at least one neil young song.
Title: Re: Joe the Plumber [The John McCain Thread]
Post by: KeithHernandez on October 23, 2008, 10:08:27 am
There is a lounge that does not exist and while I can look into this lounge and see inside it to my heart's content, metaphorically, I cannot sit my ass down in there, metaphorically, or reply to anyone else's sitting down either... metaphorically.

Metaphorically me and another dude are there with you.
Title: Re: Joe the Plumber [The John McCain Thread]
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on October 25, 2008, 03:50:54 am
Tonight this:http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2008/oct/24/obama-makes-joe-plumber-scared-america/ (http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2008/oct/24/obama-makes-joe-plumber-scared-america/) was the top headline story on the Drudgereport. Who the hell cares what this tax evading non-plumber thinks? Why is he getting such coverage?
Title: Re: Joe the Plumber [The John McCain Thread]
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 25, 2008, 04:23:09 am
Frankly, I'm a lot more freaked out by the college young Republican who cut a "B" into her face so that she could pretend she was assaulted by a "large black man" because she had a fuckin' McCain sticker on her car.

Like... that's the right wing discourse. Self-mutilation and race-bait.
Title: Re: Joe the Plumber [The John McCain Thread]
Post by: pmcd9 on October 25, 2008, 05:59:31 am
You gotta link for that shit Mike?
Title: Re: Joe the Plumber [The John McCain Thread]
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 25, 2008, 06:18:20 am
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081025/ap_on_re_us/attack_mccain_sticker (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081025/ap_on_re_us/attack_mccain_sticker)

Links away.
Title: Re: Joe the Plumber [The John McCain Thread]
Post by: jaydub on October 25, 2008, 07:15:44 pm
Sounds like a loon.
Title: Re: Joe the Plumber [The John McCain Thread]
Post by: CortJstr on October 25, 2008, 07:52:41 pm
When I heard about that woman on my way to work yesterday the news still thought it was real. Then on my way home she had admitted to faking it. It was a weird bookend to my day.
Title: Re: Joe the Plumber [The John McCain Thread]
Post by: Turbo Ninja on November 04, 2008, 07:45:44 pm
Joe got pulled over for speeding but let off with a warning because the Toledo PD thought a citation would make them look bad. (http://www.nbc4i.com/midwest/cmh/news.apx.-content-articles-CMH-2008-11-04-0008.html)

I wonder how locally infamous or politically symbolic I need to be before the local law decides it's better to let me speed?