The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: Carlos del Vaca on October 22, 2008, 08:21:53 pm

Title: World Series 2008
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on October 22, 2008, 08:21:53 pm
http://www.thegoodphight.com/2008/10/22/640585/do-it-for-steve-fellas

Blah blah blah boring World Series because it doesn't have the Red Sox or a New York team in it.

hossshit.  These are two great teams, and it has the potential to be an awesome series.

Nats be damned, I was raised a Phillies fan.  Ryan Howard is gonna hit three count 'em three home runs in this mofo.
Title: Re: World Series 2008
Post by: wombat on October 22, 2008, 08:29:29 pm
It's still baseball season?
Title: Re: World Series 2008
Post by: Golfhaus on October 22, 2008, 10:24:38 pm
Fuck the Phillies. Fuck them right in the face.
Title: Re: World Series 2008
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 23, 2008, 03:42:48 am
As a person who carries the torch for young-talent-over-aging-former-stars on basically every Mets message board extant, I have to pull for the Rays.

It is a thing.
Title: Re: World Series 2008
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on October 23, 2008, 03:45:52 am
Anything to beat the fuck*ng phillies. I hope they all die of cancer of eyes.
Title: Re: World Series 2008
Post by: Ben-San on October 23, 2008, 06:12:18 am
Basically I dunno why everyone hates the Phillies but as far as I'm concerned the Devil Rays, not having existed during my short span of time buying baseball cards, are an imaginary team.
Title: Re: World Series 2008
Post by: wombat on October 23, 2008, 01:02:42 pm
I never bought baseball cards but I second Ben's position on this. And they're not even a good imaginary team - when I looked them up, I found that they don't even bother to have an animal on their merchandise. Why be called Rays if you're not going to have a ray on your logo?
Title: Re: World Series 2008
Post by: miles on October 23, 2008, 01:22:06 pm
Basically I dunno why everyone hates the Phillies but as far as I'm concerned the Devil Rays, not having existed during my short span of time buying baseball cards, are an imaginary team.

For me it's because of the Mets, and I'm guessing for most people here that hate them it's because of the Mets, right?
Title: Re: World Series 2008
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 23, 2008, 03:48:31 pm
As a Mets fan, though, I hate the Braves and the Yankees a LOT more than the Phillies.

The Braves and the Yankees are ridiculous bullies... the Phillies are more like your uncle who came back from 'Nam not-quite-right... yeah, he can be annoying at times but you pity him his madness more than anything. Philly fans didn't ask to be born in a place that would figure out how to hate Mike freaking Schmidt, after all.
Title: Re: World Series 2008
Post by: miles on October 23, 2008, 04:11:05 pm
As a Mets fan, though, I hate the Braves and the Yankees a LOT more than the Phillies.

YES! But this year, seeing the Phillies in the World Series sure smarts a bit.
Title: Re: World Series 2008
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on October 23, 2008, 07:23:10 pm
Fuck all y'all Philly-haters.  WHY CAN'T US?

The pitch Joe Carter hit for the home run wasn't actually a bad pitch.  It was just that the slider was the only pitch Mitch seemed to be able to throw for a strike that night.  So when Carter knew Mitch had to throw one over the plate, he knew to look for that pitch and where it would likely come in.  And he got it, and as most big-league hitters do under circumstances where they know what's coming, he hit it far.  (See also the Matt Stairs home run in game 4 vs. LA--textbook.)

That was perhaps the single worst moment of my sports fanhood, worse even than seeing the Red Wings finish off the sweep of the Caps for the Stanley Cup in person at the MCI Center.  I lived in Albuqueruqe at the time, and my friends were making fun of my tremendous angst and passion for the game.  Then Carter hit the home run, and nobody said a fuck*ng word to me (because they knew I'd rip their heads off).


Title: Re: World Series 2008
Post by: KeithHernandez on October 24, 2008, 07:07:37 am
I am a fan of the younger team too.

Plus, fuck philly.


Joe Carter is from my hometown and once my baseball team met him at a hotel we were staying at in Arlington (Dallas).  We played pool baseball and I still have a picture of my whole baseball team and Joe Carter.
Title: Re: World Series 2008
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on October 27, 2008, 01:49:55 am
Blah de blah the Phillies are 2 for 87 with runners in scoring position.  And yet they're winning this game and the Series at this point.  Shut up Joe and Tim.

And as I'm typing this, Ryan Howard just hit a three-run dong.  WHOOOOOOOOOOOOO SUCK ON IT MCCARVER

WAIT WAIT THERE'S MORE!  Joe Blanton, the Phillies' pitcher, who played his entire career in the American League until coming over to the Phillies mid-season this year, just hit the first home run by a pitcher in the World Series since 1974.

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I say WHOOOOOOOOOOOO
and furthermore WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOO!
Title: Re: World Series 2008
Post by: Golfhaus on October 27, 2008, 11:13:19 pm
Yeah, I looked up from my YouTube and saw that the pitcher had hit a home run, and quietly gave up on baseball being a force for good this year.

President McCain. The World Champion Philadelphia Phillies. Nary a difference. Nary a difference.
Title: Re: World Series 2008
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on October 28, 2008, 09:19:42 pm
The World Series is all kinds of hosed up right now.

If this mofo gets backed up one more day (and it's supposed to snow in Philly tomorrow, so it might), that would mean the Phils could bring back Hamels on his regular rest to pitch game 7, should it be necessary.  Obviously I'd much rather they finish it off whenever they get around to finishing last night's game, but if anything good has come out of this weather debacle, that's it.
Title: Re: World Series 2008
Post by: jaydub on October 28, 2008, 10:22:44 pm
Has a Series ever gone into November?
Title: Re: World Series 2008
Post by: JorgeFabregas on October 28, 2008, 11:11:32 pm
Has a Series ever gone into November?
2001.
Title: Re: World Series 2008
Post by: miles on October 29, 2008, 02:57:50 am
2001.

Fuckin Yankees. Oh yeah, they LOST.
Title: Re: World Series 2008
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on October 30, 2008, 02:04:35 am
WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Title: Re: World Series 2008
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 30, 2008, 02:09:01 am
Eh.

Though I will say, Pennsylvanians running around believing in hope can't be a bad thing right now.

Lookin' for bright sides, fuckers.
Title: Re: World Series 2008
Post by: jough on November 01, 2008, 01:38:20 am
I'm taking names, all you Philly haters.

In the meantime, choke on my dick.   Or this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwOroBj13eE