The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Science & Nature => Topic started by: jough on November 12, 2003, 10:12:23 pm

Title: New Laptop Needed
Post by: jough on November 12, 2003, 10:12:23 pm
Hey,

I'm in need of a new Wintel laptop (i.e. PC, not Mac).  I don't need anything super new - I'd like to get something at least 700Mhz with at least a 10Gb hard drive and 128Mb of memory.  Other than that, screen size, etc. doesn't matter as much (since I have a portable LCD that I use anyway).  It also has to have a DVD-ROM drive so I can load Visual Studio from the DVD.  A CD-R burner would be nice, but not mandatory.

I figured I'd ask if anyone wanted to sell one or knew of someone selling one before I went on eBay, since I'm a little nervous about buying a used laptop to begin with.

The only thing that's REALLY important is that it works and doesn't fail on me when I'm right in the middle of getting work done.  I don't need to play games on it or anything.

Also, if you know of a reputable second-hand store that sells used laptops let me know.
Title: New Laptop Needed
Post by: Pedro Picasso on December 10, 2003, 08:07:23 pm
http://onlinelaptops.com/

I bought a laptop for my mother from these guys after finding them on eBay.  They were very helpful.  They had a warehouse full of neat stuff for cheap, and the laptop was exactly what we were looking for.  Of course, the deciding factor was that they were near my house so I didn't have to pay shipping.  Obviously this fact isn't helpful to you, but they are pretty good guys running a decent shop.  

Good luck finding what you need!
Title: New Laptop Needed
Post by: jay-ell on December 10, 2003, 08:11:46 pm
I think jough's pretty much got this under control, as per this thread. (http://achewood.plagiarist.com/viewtopic.php?t=533&highlight=)  Nice try, nice guy.
Title: New Laptop Needed
Post by: Pedro Picasso on December 10, 2003, 08:46:47 pm
I thought this was a new and unrelated laptop need.  Maybe he had grown a new lap or something.
Title: New Laptop Needed
Post by: jay-ell on December 10, 2003, 08:49:31 pm
Maybe he's moving to Lapland.  

Ach, kill it!
Title: New Laptop Needed
Post by: jough on December 10, 2003, 11:18:35 pm
Yeah, I decided against getting something too old, and certainly against getting something used.

I got this one refurbished and it is in excellent condition.  There was a little scratch on one corner where the very thin layer of silver paint was applied, but I have since scratched the other corner (you can scratch this paint with your fingernail) so I'm not too worried about it.

By the time I've used it for a month it'll look like it was airdropped into Beirut c. 1979,
Title: New Laptop Needed
Post by: jough on December 10, 2003, 11:19:16 pm
Thank you for your response, though.