The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: AugustWest on November 01, 2008, 02:11:14 am

Title: No longer working
Post by: AugustWest on November 01, 2008, 02:11:14 am
Studs Terkel has died. (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081031/ap_on_en_ot/obit_terkel)

Sad, but he lived a long, productive, interesting life.
Title: Re: No longer working
Post by: wombat on November 01, 2008, 02:15:37 am
I have always meant to read some of his books.

Oh well, I guess now I can buy them cheap without violating my rule against buying used books by live authors.
Title: Re: No longer working
Post by: lprkn on November 01, 2008, 06:54:22 am
...my rule against buying used books by live authors.

This is a good rule.
Title: Re: No longer working
Post by: pmcd9 on November 01, 2008, 07:24:16 am
I have always meant to read some of his books.

Oh well, I guess now I can buy them cheap without violating my rule against buying used books by live authors.

I was thinking pretty much the exact same thing today. 
Title: Re: No longer working
Post by: JorgeFabregas on November 06, 2008, 04:16:57 pm
How do you feel about libraries?
Title: Re: No longer working
Post by: wombat on November 06, 2008, 05:53:38 pm
Libraries are good things because many people can't afford to buy books. But if you are not a poor person, you should buy your books.

I pay for Onstad's subscription service, too.
Title: Re: No longer working
Post by: Ruta Bagas on November 06, 2008, 06:44:07 pm
This is a good rule.

I think it's a little bit too inflexible. The principle behind it is an excellent one but once a writer's sold a hundred and fifty million books I think it falls down the scale of importance somewhat.

But then that goes for rules like this generally and I'm sure they're just a convenient way of encapsulating the behavioural result of the principles behind them.
Title: Re: No longer working
Post by: wombat on November 06, 2008, 07:01:28 pm
I do relax the rule for people who are massively successful - I feel no guilt about copying a Springsteen CD, for example. But you have to be careful with this, because I think people usually overestimate how much money most creative people make.