The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => History => Topic started by: jaydub on November 05, 2008, 07:54:00 pm

Title: Michael Crichton is Extinct!
Post by: jaydub on November 05, 2008, 07:54:00 pm
I didn't even know he was ill.  He apparently died of cancer.  Rumors that he was despondent over the canceling of E.R. and lost all joy in life are unfounded.
Title: Re: Michael Crichton is Extinct!
Post by: lprkn on November 05, 2008, 11:53:20 pm
ditto. I thought we still had many years of (somewhat) science-based popular fiction to look forward to.
Title: Re: Michael Crichton is Extinct!
Post by: AugustWest on November 06, 2008, 03:59:54 am
Hopefully a mosquito bit him so we can bring him back in a few years.
Title: Re: Michael Crichton is Extinct!
Post by: lprkn on November 06, 2008, 04:07:54 pm
No need, quantum time travel is possible, according to Crichton anyway.
Title: Re: Michael Crichton is Extinct!
Post by: pmcd9 on November 06, 2008, 06:16:18 pm
I wasn't really a fan.  Although, I really have no basis for judgement.  I should say, I'm not really a fan of most of what has been adapted from his work.
Title: Re: Michael Crichton is Extinct!
Post by: Toaster on November 08, 2008, 09:38:30 am
What is the wombat rule?
Title: Re: Michael Crichton is Extinct!
Post by: miles on November 08, 2008, 10:38:48 am
What is the wombat rule?

That you shouldn't illegally distribute, buy used copies of, or check out from the library (unless you can't afford to slap the money down for a purchase) works of living artists. She did say that she is more lenient for successful writers/musicians like Stephen King or Bruce Springsteen, which leads to my next question...

Is it OK to check out from the library a copy of, say, Michael Connelly's newest work? In the past I have bought them, but always end up getting rid of them (because although I do enjoy his books, they're not that good, and don't really warrant a second read), sometimes selling them back to used book stores. Also, having too many books makes it difficult to move. Until I get a kindle or something like that, it's incredibly wasteful (although I could never give up books completely). However, I do agree that with less financially successful artists, it's a good rule to pay them for their work. But Connelly is a wildly successful writer. Say with someone less successful, but keeping in mind the pain in the ass that buying too many darn books can be, and also the waste issue, is it OK to sample work at the library?

One more thing, I illegally download music all the time. But I treat more like sampling. If I love it, I'll buy it eventually. If I don't, I'll delete the files. Plus, I attend so a lot of concerts, and from what I understand, that is how some artists make a good deal of money. Also, I'm not going to feel bad about downloading Metallica or Dr. Dre. ASSHOLES.
Title: Re: Michael Crichton is Extinct!
Post by: theinevitable on November 08, 2008, 08:43:23 pm
I mean, I think there is a reason that it is the Wombat rule, and not the Everyone rule.
I am not going to feel bad about buying used books and CDs.
Title: Re: Michael Crichton is Extinct!
Post by: wombat on November 08, 2008, 10:43:59 pm
My friend who has a book coming out in January and I were discussing the wombat rule earlier today. She is much more in favor of libraries, which she said bought a lot of copies of her last book. And she talked about the sampling thing - if she tries one book and likes it from the library she'll buy the others, so in that sense, libraries are good for writers financially in the long run.

But, she and I have both never forgotten when she published her first book, and two of her acquaintances announced, as if they were very clever, that they'd found used copies to buy even thought it was so new!  Did they not realize that she does not make money off those copies and they don't count towards her sales numbers? I mean, at least don't tell the author that you did it!

Here's the thing: Not only don't most authors make much money, but if the book doesn't sell enough, the publisher will stop publishing their books. So if you like an author and want more to read by that person, it's in your own self-interest to vote with your dollars.

So, you know, it is not an absolute, but I just think it would be good if people would stop and think.
Title: Re: Michael Crichton is Extinct!
Post by: Doc on November 09, 2008, 02:15:39 am
it's in your own self-interest to vote with your dollars.

I'm waiting for that phrase to summon A-Cap in a cloud of smoke and equally acceptable trade.
Title: Re: Michael Crichton is Extinct!
Post by: JorgeFabregas on November 10, 2008, 03:52:58 am
New books are bad for the environment!

Signed,

A dude whose wife buys too many books (new and used).